• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Gillislee, Run Defense put Gators into National Elite

travisduncan

Gator Fan
uspw_6637604.jpg
Oct 6, 2012; Gainesville, FL, USA; Florida Gators head coach Will Muschamp celebrates after the Gators beat the LSU Tigers 14-6 at Ben Hill Griffin Stadium. Jake Roth-US PRESSWIRE

By Travis Duncan
Gator Envy writer

Just how committed were the Gators to the run (with the lead)?

Florida ran 25-straight rushing plays to end the game, starting with Mike Gillislee’s third-quarter score with 5:15 remaining in the third quarter until the end of the game and the Gators had defeated at Top 5 team for the first time in the Will Muschamp era.

Saturday's 14-6 win over the LSU Tigers, was sparked by a defensive performance which may have been unmatched all season and the running of Gillislee who finished with two touchdowns 146 yards and 34 carries.

LSU was limited to 200 total yards-56 yards of which came on pass play which ultimately would be a fumble by Tiger receiver Odell Beckham and recovered by Matt Elam in the third quarter. The Tiger passing offense gained yards against the aggressive Gator attack via screen plays. LSU entered the game as a the 19th best running team in the country averaging 229 yards on the ground. Saturday at The Swap, the boys from Baton Rouge totaled 42 yards on 25 carries.

LSU's No. 4 ranking may have been bloated by its appearance in the National Title game, but regardless most would agree that if you beat an LSU or Alabama, that is a resume win, including to those who vote in the BCS. And even if just five games of a 12 game season has been played, Florida will now be discussed among the teams which could be there for a National Title appearance.

Florida is now 3-0 when trailing at the half. In those three games (Texas A&M, Tennessee, LSU), the Gators have outscored the opponent 51-6 in the second half.

"We made some adjustments in the second half and we felt like the running game was there, we just had to be patient with it," said Muschamp.

"Mike Gillislie ran hard, and that is a talented bunch he just ran against and they are very, very good. Our defense gave up yards on some screens so I am disappointed with that, but we executed well."

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
Personally, I will not label the Gators as elite until Driskel beats a team with his arm. Today's Jeff Driskel looks like last year's Connor Shaw from South Carolina. Last year, Shaw did not beat teams with his arm.; this year is he beating them on the rare occasion he throws. Once Jeff Driskel can beat a team with his arm, then I will call the Gators elite.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Escambia94
Thing is, I don't see JD doing that without a go-to WR, E-. In fact, he just doesn't have the downfield weapons to do it, really. Every WR we DO have would have to step up his own performance, and SOMEONE to REALLY step forward to become "his guy", seemingly always on the same page when he has to break from the pocket but is still looking for a receiver downfield, for Driskel to even begin to have the passing options that QBs in most college offenses now have.
We DO have a couple of very good TEs coming on now, and I wouldn't be surprised if Pease begins to bring Reed and Burton, along with Omar Hines in the mid-to-deep zones, more into his schemes now in the games ahead. THEN perhaps we'll see that "win it with his arm" scenario as a possibility at LEAST--but I still say that until we bring in some of these tall, rangy-and-fast, go-up-and-get-anything prospects in here to be part of our offense, Driskel has GOT to have at least ONE WR we currently DO have seriously raise his game.
(Btw--Agree or not, "Thanks travisduncan" for another one of his "Someone needed to say it"-columns)

Escambia94

I would even be okay if the TEs stood up and became those standout receivers while the WRs became the blockers.

I was surprised that Florida did not throw on LSU. LSU's Mustang defense is designed to stop explosive passing offenses when it drops into nickel and dime, or stop the run in its standard configuration. Theoretically, Gillislee should not have been able to run 150 yards on them, but he did. Theoretically, Driskel could have racked up 150 yards in the air even with these receivers, but he did not. Keep that in mind if the Gators have to face LSU again this year.

Against SC and UGA, we should hopefully see some passing plays. We need that balance to get past those two. Against FSU, the Gators might be able to run 90% of the time against them and win, since their DBs are super fast and are accustomed to offenses throwing at them.

NaffGutts

Gator Fan
I think if we start using our Tight Ends, it will open up more receivers I believe and more importantly, give Jeff some confidence in his ability. I mean, we have 2 elite TEs with Reed and Burton(yes), these kids are playmakers and they tie up a defenses linebackers which opens up zones and/or gaps for Driskel to use his feet with. Pease knows what he has, he just needs for the player to realize it too.

EDIT - see you posted about tight ends while i was typing mine lol, great minds think alike.

Escambia94

I totally agree. Our TEs are our studs. Coach Pease should be able to figure that out. One sports source cited Boise State's current issues with offense being tied to two positions and one coach--Brent Pease and his affect on the TEs and Kellen Moore. The current Boise OC apparently does not use TEs as well as Brent Pease (and Bryan Harsin before him), according to Idaho Statesman. Coach Pease seems to be the guy that can bring that knowledge to the Gators (assuming Derek Lewis can keep up with him).

NaffGutts

Gator Fan
I totally agree. Our TEs are our studs. Coach Pease should be able to figure that out. One sports source cited Boise State's current issues with offense being tied to two positions and one coach--Brent Pease and his affect on the TEs and Kellen Moore. The current Boise OC apparently does not use TEs as well as Brent Pease (and Bryan Harsin before him), according to Idaho Statesman. Coach Pease seems to be the guy that can bring that knowledge to the Gators (assuming Derek Lewis can keep up with him).

Very true, but I think Muschamp and Pease are also pacing themselves, they know the road in front of them. Why open up your entire playbook for your enemy to watch and look for? Atleast I'm hoping this is the case.

Escambia94

I actually thought Les Miles was going to do that to Florida. Glad I was wrong. I do think that as many formations and plays as we saw this weekend, Pease has many more. Either way, the Gators still need to execute. Even the Meyer playbook had more than dive/inside-pitch/QB-draw, but those were the only plays the team could execute in 2009. From what I know of Pease, there are a lot of plays they can run that are within the capabilities of this team.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema