• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Gators, Tide battling for Boise coordinator

News Bot

News Bot
Florida hasn’t had very many big SEC wins the past two seasons on the field, but they may have just earned a significant one off of it. Maybe. Rumors came to light earlier Friday that Florida and Alabama were competing for the services of Boise State offensive coordinator Brent Pease. According to the Idaho Statesman,…
b.gif

Source: CollegeFootballTalk.com

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
Depending on who you talk to, BSU is a spread attack or a pro-style with spread elements. Be careful with the terminology, because it gets misused a lot, especially lately with Gator fans. When Will Muschamp says "pro-style", what he means is "an offense that translates readily to the NFL". He could care less if that offense is one of the five offenses prevalent in the NFL today that are truly "pro style".

The current pro style offenses in use by all 32 NFL teams are:
  • Erhardt-Perkins "New England Offense"
  • Bill Walsh "West Coast"
  • Zampese-Coryell "Air Coryell"
  • Generic smash mouth
  • Generic pro set
Within those "pro style" offenses, many teams employ elements of the spread. Again, the terminology will get used and abused, but three of the five on that list have real play books written by real pro coaches who all have real coaching trees. The last two are just generic names for the standard offense that all football teams field. Will Muschamp will take any offense that helps his players transition to the NFL.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Depending on who you talk to, BSU is a spread attack or a pro-style with spread elements. Be careful with the terminology, because it gets misused a lot, especially lately with Gator fans. When Will Muschamp says "pro-style", what he means is "an offense that translates readily to the NFL". He could care less if that offense is one of the five offenses prevalent in the NFL today that are truly "pro style".

The current pro style offenses in use by all 32 NFL teams are:
  • Erhardt-Perkins "New England Offense"
  • Bill Walsh "West Coast"
  • Zampese-Coryell "Air Coryell"
  • Generic smash mouth
  • Generic pro set
Within those "pro style" offenses, many teams employ elements of the spread. Again, the terminology will get used and abused, but three of the five on that list have real play books written by real pro coaches who all have real coaching trees. The last two are just generic names for the standard offense that all football teams field. Will Muschamp will take any offense that helps his players transition to the NFL.

Good response and overview...I see you've expanded on this in your own thread elsewhere here, and I'll study that before commenting much here, except to say that I hope you are right in your interpretation of what Coach says when he looks for a "pro-style offense"--I THINK you're right, but it was hard to tell while watching that weak product Weis put out there this past season. Don't want to get bogged down in semantics and terminology, but I believe that it will be some combination of an under-center, hard-nosed ground and throw-to-break-the-box approach, MIXED with elements of both the Spread and the Wildcat here and there, that will best exploit the speed and talent we always have here at UF, AND accomplish both fast-break scoring, when necessary, and ground attack scrimmage- and clock-control the rest of the time against SEC defenses that will get us back to Atlanta in December--and beyond.

Escambia94

I am by no means a Charlie Weis apologist, but he did what he could with small scat backs, a couple quarterbacks that moved to tight end, and a broken quarterback. By the way, Weis' body could not handle the heat and humidity on the sidelines. The spirit of Knute Rockne himself could only do so much with this group of players. Will Muschamp knows that he is no Urban Meyer--he is not going to convert athletes. He wants high school players that can learn an NFL offense, not high school players that move to new positions just to win college games that do not look like professional games.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I am by no means a Charlie Weis apologist, but he did what he could with small scat backs, a couple quarterbacks that moved to tight end, and a broken quarterback. By the way, Weis' body could not handle the heat and humidity on the sidelines. The spirit of Knute Rockne himself could only do so much with this group of players. Will Muschamp knows that he is no Urban Meyer--he is not going to convert athletes. He wants high school players that can learn an NFL offense, not high school players that move to new positions just to win college games that do not look like professional games.
A LOT of information AND opinion in that short paragraph, E-, much of it implied "between-the-lines"...
First, I think we can agree that Weis got a little TOO attached to the speed he thought he had in those "small scat-backs"--and used them like he wanted it both ways, smash-mouth into-the-line, AND break-away speed once they got to the secondary. We all saw the results: they got banged up, USED up way too quickly, were losing their speed-edge to small injuries early on, and then it got worse and worse as the season went on and our patchwork O-line became the walking wounded, no-one-at-their-natural-position, second-and-third-string offensive line...and STILL no real adaptation to the power runners we DID have over there on the sidelines. OK, maybe both little guys weren't out at the same time, but at some point maybe you try to ADAPT, use what you've GOT? Never mind "the spirit of Knute Rockne", what about just old-fashioned, basic "good coaching"? I'm sorry, but for an "offense-master-mind", this guy left a WHOLE lot to be desired...and the idea that he was somehow distracted and held back by his discomfort at the heat and humidity, well, there's a lot I could say to THAT, but this question should suffice: "Is this some sort of bad JOKE, or an actual excuse that supposedly explains the problem, or any PART of it?!!" If the latter is the case in ANY measure, then let THIS be Weis' epitaph for his time here: "The Fat Man just couldn't hack it--the heat and humidity got to him." Classy guy.
On the last point, "Will Muschamp is no Urban Meyer", I'm hoping here that you, like me, consider this a GOOD thing, long term at least. I don't WANT him trying to recreate Meyer's version of short-term success--I want a loyal, long term Gator mentor and visionary, who builds a winner kids want to come and play in and for. The jury's still out on this, obviously, but impatient nay-sayers and freak-out cases to the contrary, there's no sign yet that he WON'T be that man and leader--indeed, with all that has been stacked and continued to have developed AGAINST him and us in the last year (actually THREE years, if you count the previous couple of years of distracted screwing around Meyer and The Nameless One spent completely bolloxing our program before Coach Boom even GOT here), with us on the verge of a great recruiting cycle, PLUS the right hire at OC THIS time COULD put him (and us) right back on the fast track to SEC contention and national-level success once more. He won't have as much time to prove it as maybe he should have had, but that's just the way it is...all the more reason Coach Will HAS to be realistic and aggressively ambitious--in everything from who he goes after in staff (ESPECIALLY in this OC-hire), players, and perfection in every facet of the game.

Escambia94

What I meant by "Will Muschamp is no Urban Meyer" is that Muschamp is a good coach, but he did not write a book that others are following. Muschamp is still "putting his book together". I saw some elements of the Gator defense that looked very good against Florida State and Ohio State that show that Muschamp and Quinn are going to improve the Gator defense and write their own book on the hybrid 4-3/3-4. If I had to give it a name, I would call it the chameleon. The opposing quarterback looks up and sees a 4-3 up until the snap, when he realizes that it is actually a 3-4 with the Buck position being a pure hybrid. The Buck position is a hybrid now because of personnel available. It may evolve as we gain some players, much as the Harvin position and the tight end positions evolved under Urban Meyer. When that evolution occurs, Muschamp can now be like Urban Meyer...a coach that has developed his own system, or has added his own flavor to a system that he can use elsewhere (if he leaves one day) or that others can use elsewhere as Muschamp develops his own coaching tree.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema