• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Gator Gameday (11/07/14): Vandy

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
OK, I'm gonna try and avoid carping and whining here--think I've probably done enough of that last few weeks of these game intros, made my point already.
Thing is, this one strikes ME at least as classic "no win situation". Follow my thinking here:
For all kinds of (aforementioned by ALL of us) reasons, Muscahmp has to go...Biggest, over-arching reason I think we can agree on is that we've already SEEN his "best". What we've seen so far comprises the various versions of what a Muschamp-led Gator squad can do, season-to-season. We are doomed to an inconsistent, up'n'down "slow-slide to more and more long term mediocrity" with him as our Head Coach. Now, personally--and I believe most agree--I also find even most of our victories under his "guidance" NO FUN TO WATCH.
OK. But the only way he MIGHT end up being retained is if he were to somehow "win enough" of the rest to give Foley "cover" in at the least allowing him to "continue on his present course and contract" at the end of this season. Especially if he were to do so with some scores that at least LOOK convincing when seen by the rest of the college football world--who sure as hell aren't watching the actual GAMES that closely...just a few highlights here and there, and then only when we "surprise" them by appearing to soundly beat a team the media were until then hyping. And if we were to somehow find ourselves, thru' attrition and stumbling blind luck, to find ourselves with a real shot at the East-SEC spot in Atlanta at the end, well who knows? (The more I think about it, go down THAT road, the more I think maybe I SHOULD be rooting AGAINST us now...Only, well, y'all know...)
So let's actually consider today's opponent. Even THIS Gator team ought to roll today, over a Commodore squad that's almost fully back to "Square One", where it started at the bottom of the SEC's football pecking-order. They HAVE "glimpsed the top of the mountain through the clouds above", though, gotten that far before sliding back down this season--and the realities of today's opportunities for parity among college football programs (IF they are willing and able to make the financial commitment required to pursuing it) make it possible, maybe even somewhat inevitable that they won't stay this far back that long--but that's where they are now. So we should beat them, big time. Still might not be pretty--but doesn't HAVE to be.
In a way, Vandy is emblematic of this whole "down year" the SEC is having: Those at the top are very good, but no GREAT ones, they're knocking each other off...while we're WAY down, probably mid-pack or worse to even the Mississippi-squads' ascendance--barely beat UK for God's sake: Are THEY our current "equals" now???--with Vandy bringing up the rear. They can still beat a decent mid-major-having-a-bad-day, but that's about it.
So, lose to them and Muschamp might be gone by Monday...Kick their asses big time and we prove little, while possibly beginning the re-rationalization of the "Muschamp's best choice we have"-band wagon among Foley and a (still thankfully) few others. Barely beat 'em sloppily and it's another nail in his employment-coffin. I guess I have to hope for the last. It will be like almost every Gator game last couple of years--in fact since Muschamp got here, even the 11-and-2 season: "God, this is ugly!". But I just am not equipped to actually WATCH these games and root for a Gator beat-down, so the first one's out, at least for me.
As for that trend, and its very "ugliness" regardless of outcome, well, it CAN'T just be the OCs anymore, even though it's mostly the terrible offenses that have made it so, by THEIR unimaginative schemes and mediocre play AND it's inevitable effect of wearing out our defenses to wilt in the second halves. No, Muschamp and his "ball-control philosophy"--HA!--has been the one constant thru' it all. That, and what I have come to view as basically a "prevent defense from the opening kick-off"-approach have made these games near-unwatchable, and the overall trend toward "lucky if we win one or two more than we lose" seasons.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
First, my rant on Muschamp: Muschamp should only come back next year if he can lead the Gators to convincing wins over Vanderbilt and South Carolina, and if he can recruit the heck out of some 4 and 5 star players by early December. By mid-December, Foley has to make a decision, and he has to do it while better coaches are preparing for bowl games or NFL playoffs. Mid-December gives Foley time to seek out candidates, and for the new hire to recruit in late December and January. Normally this is a problem, but currently Florida does not have a lot of recruits to lose.

Second, my rant on the Gators: As happy as I am for a Gator win last week, I am not convinced that this Muschamp-led team has turned a corner and will be competitive week in and week out in the SEC. Today's Vanderbilt team is nothing like last year's team that beat both Florida and Georgia in the same year and went bowling (while for the first time in three decades Florida sat at home for the bowl season). If the Gators were only playing their heart out to save Muschamp's job last week, then they will look ugly today. If the Gators actually turned a corner, then they had better 'effing win and win big today in Nashville.

Third, my prediction: I think the Gators are riding on emotion, fueled by the rumors of Muschamp's hot seat and malaise in the Florida locker room. That emotion is going to be needed to beat Vanderbilt (and South Carolina), but I refuse to believe that anything less than a 50-3 drubbing of Vandy is a sign that the Gators are back. I predict a boring-ass 27-10 win and lots of sunshine pumping after we win. Reminder: Vandy beat down the Gators 34 to 'effing 17 last year! 34 to 17! Muschamp needs to top that embarrassing-ass beat-down. Let that sink in. Florida will probably win 27 to 10. If they do that, I will be happy for a day, but I will not back down on wanting to fire Muschamp.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
"Like"AND "Agree"--though of course I'm more extreme in my judgment of Muschamp as a Head Coach, OUR "Head Coach": There is NO scenario that will now convince me that we have "turned a corner" OR that he is the man who is to lead us back to glory.
Beyond that, I expect a similar kind of day--we beat Vandy, the final score even sounding (to the not-particularly-interested college football world-outside-of-Gatornation) convincing, and the whole damn thing a fairly sloppy but eventually pulling-away victory for us. Aftermath: "Sunshine pumping" indeed...more like "smoke blown up our collective a$$es"!
Again, like E-, I know that Vanderbilt is a pale shadow of even last year's "hopeful-sign-of-a-new-era"-performing team, and that we OUGHT to solidly, easily kick their butts even WITHOUT the memory of last season's debacle as emotional charge. Add that "playing for our Coach's job" thing and you'd THINK we'd just roll over them. Talent-wise they don't even come close to matching up anywhere on the field (Well, they have a coupla receivers that I wouldn't mind having over here--but that's a pretty large pool, "receivers Gators could upgrade with"). That's why a loss could mean IMMEDIATE dismissal, maybe Roper as interim HC (which would scare me almost as much as the possibility MUSCHAMP stays, and for the same reason: He wins out except for say FSU and there's sentiment to retain HIM as Head Coach--which E- was the first to flag and which I now agree with that he's as much to blame, at least for our bs-offense, as Muschamp), and why I personally sort of semi-secretly (even from myself) hope for a pretty close win, one that proves the former point without me having to consider rooting against our squad "for the long term good of the program" (something I'm not at all sure I am capable of regardless, as I say). I mean, what the hell?...It's bound to be a fairly dreary affair in ANY case.
So, (yawn) "Yeah, uh, let's go Gators. Sort of..."

miltongator

Gator Fan
I just don't know what to do. Of course I want the Gators to win AND convincingly. But, I hate Mushiepants sooooo much that .....well, you know. Guess I'll just watch the game and let the chips fall where they may. As long as we're eventually rid of WM, I'll be happy.

Escambia94

In the end, we should root for the Gators, regardless of which knucklehead is coaching them. I support Will Muschamp as head coach, but I want him gone at the end of the season. If Florida brings back Muschamp, I will not stop rooting for my Gators. I do not get paid to hire coaches. I cannot cheer louder and make Driskel or Harris throw the ball to the obviously open receiver. All I can do is sit back and drink beer while hoping for a win.

Escambia94

More predictions:
  • Most Valuable Gator: Treon Harris. 6/10 passing for 125 yards, 2 TDs, 1 INT.
  • Turnovers: Florida 1 INT, 1 FUM. Vanderbilt 3 INT, 1 FUM.
  • Passing: see above.
  • Rushing: Taylor and Jones combine for 350 yards rushing.

Escambia94

Auburn is getting spanked! Couldn't happen to a better team.

Yes, but if the Gators accidentally win against Vanderbilt and South Carolina, and if Auburn beats Georgia, and if Missouri somehow loses to Tennessee and one other team, your Florida Gators will be the SEC East champions! (Not that I think all that would happen...)

Escambia94

Note how I worded my post as "if the Gators accidentally win...and...and...and...". Nobody in their right mind really believes Florida can win or would deserve to win the East.

Then again, as crappy as the East is this year, the Gators are just as crappy as the rest of the crappy teams. If only Muschamp were not so...Muschampy...the Gators would be in charge of the crappy East.

Escambia94

That was a new low. Even the Gators have never snapped the ball into their own center's crotch and fumbled the ball within field goal range.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Have y'all SEEN all the weird scores, upsets and outcomes today? There's the out-of-confewrence stuff (I HATE ND, so that one made me laugh), but the SEC games are generally more of the knock-each-other-off, give-the-media-a-chance-to-call-it-an-"off-year".
Still see this one as as close to "no win" as a Gator game-outcome can be, for me at least: Just hope most will see through a "tough, hard-won victory" as what it would really be--an embarrassment. As usual, we look tight-as-a-drum (thanks, Coach), but the other team's offense is so bad they threw it away and are punting now.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Yes, but if the Gators accidentally win against Vanderbilt and South Carolina, and if Auburn beats Georgia, and if Missouri somehow loses to Tennessee and one other team, your Florida Gators will be the SEC East champions! (Not that I think all that would happen...)
A scenario I am desperately afraid could actually happen, this weir season. Yes, "fear"--even tho' there's still a part of me that'd cheer: CAN'T have Muschamp back. Just can't.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
...Aw F*CK!!! Harris goes off after 3rd down holding his shoulder...Harris down AND "Driskel the savior of the Vanderbilt game"??? You KNOW that's what we'll hear.
(I was about to apologize in advance for not being all that plugged in here--but this could be WORSE than a plain drag, if we lose Treon. He IS our main "hope" out there now--what hope there is for the future now comes from seeing him getting experience, developing as the team comes together around him.)

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I'm at dinner (BJs Bar and Grill, with a BIG ol' chicken-fried steak, etc), watching this on the big screen in the far corner (rest are tuned to games people HERE are interested in) and grabbing off a quick comment here on my phone:
We could LOSE this one (statement of the obvious). We look really tight, as I say--and typically (for this year) unprepared. Probably can eventually take control against THIS team, but (1) maybe not, and (2) we really DO suck (more obviousness). Happy times.

Escambia94

Did you see that DT Leon Orr was sent home only an hour before the game for arguing with the coaches over the starting lineup? My guess is that this is a sign of a troubled team that could only rally against Muschamp when his job was publicly on the line.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema