• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Gameday Week 11: Gators at Gamecocks

Leakfan12

VIP Member
Hope Mac and co. learn another lesson here (to go with "Need O-linemen", "Find ANY QB other than Treon", and 'NEVER trust Les Miles to kick it, no matter WHAT logic dictates")...Latest point: "DO NOT CHANGE TO SOME LOOSE-TO-BURN-CLOCK DEFENSE IN THE 4TH QRTR, not when you only have a 10 pt lead, plenty of time left, your D has controlled game up til then, and your offense hasn't been able to run the ball..."

I see on rivals, the Gators have two OLs that verbally committed and there's a number of the tackles that haven't committed yet. Same can't be said for QBs either Dual Threat or Pocket Passer. There's Xavier Gaines and Armani Rogers from LA (highly doubtful especially in Trojan-Bruin and Pac-12 land). Of course, they can attempt to get Culpepper's kid but one his ankle worries me still because ACLs can be difficult to recover from, starting true freshman at QB can be worrysome especially since he miss his senior year, and also the last time they got a son of a Gator player to turn his committed to them didn't work out for both sides.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I see on rivals, the Gators have two OLs that verbally committed and there's a number of the tackles that haven't committed yet. Same can't be said for QBs either Dual Threat or Pocket Passer. There's Xavier Gaines and Armani Rogers from LA (highly doubtful especially in Trojan-Bruin and Pac-12 land). Of course, they can attempt to get Culpepper's kid but one his ankle worries me still because ACLs can be difficult to recover from, starting true freshman at QB can be worrysome especially since he miss his senior year, and also the last time they got a son of a Gator player to turn his committed to them didn't work out for both sides.
All good points. I trust Mac and his staff's choices in all of this (especially he and Nussmeyer's) in regard to QBs, whatever they turn out to be--and it's possible the fact we don't HAVE any commits at the QB position yet may well be BECAUSE there's no one so far that even comes CLOSE to measuring up to their standards and requirements. Now, whether there's someone they "have their eye on" but for now are playing it cool (for any number of reasons), we'll just have to wait and see. But I expect something like that, and/or some transfer-in from elsewhere (most likely along the O-line, but it could happen with a QB too; it has worked the other way, QBs transfering OUT last coupla years, so maybe there's someone eligible who'd like to move up to The Big Stage of the SEC).
So if they don't get it done one way, maybe another. Unless they have some quiet assurance that Grier's suspension will likely be foreshortened on appeal, Mac must KNOW he's in a bind going into 2016: As it stands, Treon as our only option 'til Game 7 could short-circuit our continued rise and full-on "return-to-national prominance" earlier than anyone expected. That alone could well turn 2016 from "The Next Step Up" to a "Come Back Down To Earth" transition year.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
One other thing before we move fully to "post gameday" and looking ahead: In a season that has already far exceded expectation in every way, where I find myself more than ever, when I remember to step back and think about it, surprised and happy to once more hear us at least "in the discussion" regarding who belings in the elite company of "programs with a shot at the 2015 Championship Playoff". That being said, it is therefore all the more frustrating and stange to SUFFER so in the course of these WINS, and to find so little encouragement or satisfaction once they're over. This time, I'd have been a lot less worried--and conversely more dismissive of outside criticism--if we'd have kept the shut out. Hell, I'd still find SOME cause for optimism if we'd gone back to shutting them down fully after the ONE let down, permitting only that first quick strike in an othereise lock-down defensive performance. But as we've done several times this season, even our outstanding D seemed to lose focus for awhile in the 2nd half. Almost cost us a game we dominated but (also once again) our offense did NOT put away when it could--because THEY lost focus, repeatedly (mainly Treon, but you get the idea).

Leakfan12

VIP Member
There's also the graduate transfers as well. I'm going to throw a name out there in Cardale Jones from the suckeyes. I think he would fit better in a pro style offense than the spread. Plus I'm sure Coach Mac want like having an experience quarterback than again he struggled in the Big 10. Who would be better Jones or Harris?

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
There's also the graduate transfers as well. I'm going to throw a name out there in Cardale Jones from the suckeyes. I think he would fit better in a pro style offense than the spread. Plus I'm sure Coach Mac want like having an experience quarterback than again he struggled in the Big 10. Who would be better Jones or Harris?

I have been watching Jim McElwain off and on ever since his offense ended the Florida Gators' reign back in 2009. Trust Coach Mac with his QB recruiting and grooming:
  • 2008 - John Parker Wilson (3*) and Greg McElroy (3*). Mac inherited the senior Wilson and the freshman McElroy. Greg McElroy was recruited by Mike Shula after his top target at QB back in 2005-2006, Tim Tebow, chose Florida. If it were not for Tebow picking Florida over Bama, McElroy probably would have gone to Texas Tech. The 2008 Tide team went undefeated until they faced Tebow and the Urban Meyer coached Florida Gators, and then they lost again to a team built very similar to the Gators, the Utah Utes under Meyer's protege at the time, Kyle Whittingham. McElroy learned a lot while watching Wilson from the bench.
  • 2009 - Greg McElroy (3*). Mac groomed McElroy into one of the most efficient QBs in the NCAA, but McElroy was challenged by superior athletes Star Jackson (4*) and AJ McCarron (4*). Star Jackson was the crown jewel of the top-ranked 2008 recruiting class. Alabama considered it a coup that they were able to grab him while other schools were vying for Andrew Luck (4*) and Jacory Harris (4*). AJ McCarron was the only QB taken in the 2009 class and was guaranteed a redshirt. Jackson arrived in Tuscaloosa as a 180-pound kid, but he filled out to 205. He still lost out to the lesser praised McCarron and transferred to Georgia State. The only QB he missed on was Ryan Mossakowski (4*), who went to Kentucky and eventually transferred to Lamar. Phillip Sims (4*) was the big catch.
  • 2010 - Greg McElroy (3*) went undefeated as a starter, and McCarron sat behind him and learned the system. Bama had problems getting another QB given the load of studs on the roster: McElroy, McCarron, and Sims. Jackson transferred out.
  • 2011 - Greg McElroy had another stellar year. Sims transferred out. Phillip Ely (3*) was the only QB recruit. Coach Mac moved to Colorado State.
  • 2012 - 2014 Garrett Grayson (3*). At Colorado State, Mac definitely had to do more with less. He inherited a stable of 3* QBs in Garrett Grayson and Connor Smith, plus a former, unranked walk-on transfer in MJ McPeek. CSU had zero 4* recruits on its roster before Coach Mac arrived, with a smattering of 3* recruits. By the time he left, he had increased CSU's visibility to higher ranked recruits.
  • 2015. When Mac arrived in Gainesville, the Gators had a recruiting class in shambles, ranked #80+ in the nation. He was able to salvage the class and get the Gators enough good recruits to be ranked in the top 20, but the roster was still rather thin in key areas.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema