• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Gameday: vs N Texas in The Swamp

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Alright: Puttin' it up early, and right out front here under "Football News" this time.
OK--not exactly the compelling match-up next week's 2nd Conference game will be (trying NOT to get ahead of ourselves, but THAT one will have season-long repercussions--not to mention telling EVERYONE who's where and what's "real" amidst all the hype and what passes for "analysis" in the media AND nation at large).
For now, little doubt we CAN win this one "going away" playing it out pretty vanilla on offense'-and I'll understand if that's way we mostly see...BUT:
Way I see it there are both short-term (tactical) AND longer-term (strategic) reasons to continue to further reveal, untrack and develope more flamboyant, stretch-the-field aspects of that Gator offense with our clearly talented and headed-for-more-n-bigger transfer-QB DelRio.
We'll get into this more in-game, I hope. I ALSO hope it isn't just me "getting into it" this time LOL...
But not like I'll sulk, "take my ball and go home". No, I'll be here round 6:30pm Eastern, latest (in fact monitoring our site now while I listen to our G-ville pre-game show--gave up on Ol Miss when they chucked the lead at the end pf the 2nd half against TheTide...and they've carried on similarly to chuck the whole game in the 2nd half...oh well--at least can SEE that Bama IS beatable--but you CAN'T hand 'em ANYTHING to do it.
(Now, lemme see if I can raise friend Gator @Escambia94, )

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
(Couldn't help myself: While waiting for our game to get started here, I happened to see that long completion by the Rebels, so turned up volume, re-tuned-in attentionwise to that game with a sliver of returning hope--and watched Ol Miss do in miniature over the ensuing coupla minutes what they'd already managed to do with the whole damn game: The proverbial "snatch defeat from the jaws of victory")

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
OK OK...That's 6:30pm CENTRAL (where I am, here in Longhorn country), not Eastern as I thought...Was thinking, "Where the HELL is my paid-extra-for-it 'Gator Season Pass' on Hulu Plus? And how bad IS the delay on this 'Tune in Radio' stadium feed???"
Lol Calm down, Dru...

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Well, we took the ball to start the game--then after a first play--first doen run by Thompson proceeded to stink up the place trying to throw it...What happened to that old "scripted drive to start game with ball.
Well, we end up with a safety outta the whole ensuing exchange-by-punt and drove em down deep. Another kinda sign that we couldn't lose THIS one if we tried--but it'll be no fun WATCHING them "try". LOL

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Um, whatta ya say we try that opening "plan" again, boys?
Put that Perrine kid in at RB, give Luke a little time, and receivers? ATTEMPT to get open once he has to break outta the pocket maybe?

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Powell shaken up on punt return...Our best player on EITHER side of the ball. Thats the one thing we CAN'T have happen this week--meaningful injuries to frontline players.
And we make the first down on a 3rd and 3 pass.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
OK, seem to be getting the rhythm of it now. Don't fuck it up...there's an interference call in the end zone--good penalty on the kid's part--otherwise a TD.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
1st and goal at the 5.
Used to be I'd figure no better than 50/50 a TD here--but not so much as this young season progresses...

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Oh oh...spoke too soon. Yeah, good ol' Muschamp offense style penalty to put us further n further away from goal line.
3rd and longish in redzone...
Sigh. That reminded me WAY too much of the OLD Gators: HATE whole idea of a "22-yd fg"...gee, one more and we've got one whole TD plus a 2-pointer.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Still got a D.
Offense back to Jeckel and Hyde, more like Game 1, tonight. On for a play, off for 2...Maybe we can at least change the ratio?
Yikes, appears we're more beating OURSELVES so far. Nice throw nice catch, Luke to Powell. Next play--RAINBOW complete inside the red zone, 53 yards.
Can we just score now? Please?
Don't BELIEVE this...They oughtta eschew the fg here, go after the 4th n goal. (Love at least getting to use word, "eschew"!) Lets take a chance, and in process maybe get UNTRACKED here.
WORST case scenario we have em pinned deep. Our D will hold em. And we run it straight into the line--Thompson did NOT follow his blocking. He's the wrakest of our runners. Runs hard, reliable as long as all thats required is "run down hill". Poor choice having him in there then, imo--and he proved it there.
But this is why it was worth trying: 4TH down punt from DEEP...
We get the ball on the N Texas side of the field--IF this penalty isn't on us...NO.
Last play of qrtr coming here. I HATE this score standing on record "after one":
5-0. Yikes.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Just take it IN now.
We got a "stable" of runners--but I think the best of em are starting to show themselves. Cronkite and Perrine just have that extra.
Holding penalty--so instead of the 5, we're back at the 21. Sigh. We HAVE to be tighter than this next week. And we STILL haven't finished anything.
Until now. Cronkite drives himself into endzpne on cutback. Yes.
Well, this, like I suspect the overall score by the end tonight, will LOOK good--but watching it, well, I keep coming back to "Jeckle & Hyde", or "1 step forward, 2 steos back"...this last drive was more "2 forward ONE back""--so we scored. Still choppy though.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
...and we immediately get caught in the pick...penalty? Yes--pass interference on their one great play. Like I said, we'd have to TRY and lose--and don't know that we could even then. Tonight's edition looks to give it a try, though. Yep--we give up a 20 yarder on a 1st and 18. Then a nice run. And another one. Hey D! You're on the field now!

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Um, did I happen to mention "One step forward, 2 steps back"?
Now our D has joined in.
This is looking more n more a "painful victory" in the offing.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Well, it's a "spirited scrimmage", anyway.
But we'll find ourselves down a coupla scores of we play ANYTHING like this against the Vols.
We know they aren't the world-beaters the media annointed them coming into season--but they WILL handle this sorta Chinese firedrill...

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I'm sorry--but all we have to do is EXECUTE to drill these guys. The rest is all in our heads.
OK, these young men DO look ahead, sometimes--and this'd be the week for it.
Still--that is and always WAS the challenge for this one.
You know, MIGHT get better results with 2nd- and 3rd-teamers here (safer too). They might have more to prove, more "want it NOW". I know, that was never "the Plan" for this one--but "adapting-on-the-fly" is ALSO good coaching.
Tell ya this, like to see COMPLETE shift to backups in 2nd half, long as there's a 2+ TD lead (especially with zero on the board for the opposition)...

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
LOTSA pressure by our D tnite so far. Sack totals could be huge this keeps up.
Almost feel bad for their QB. He's clearly a gamer.
(Now you KNOW how confident I am bout the ultimate outcome here--I NEVER would say anything like that in the first half of a game-still-in-the-balance otherwise!)

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Thing is, still NOT a full-on beat-down on the scoreboard...just FEELS like one.
Even with the various sloppy breakdowns, pretty sure that WILL come.
See what I mean bout Perrine? He and Cronkite are the class of a GOOD group of RBs all across the board.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Perrine's turn. TD.
I think these N Texas players go into lockeroom telling themselves they "kept it close"--but GATORS (if anyone) did that....But those Denton (a cool town, btw) kids SHOULD feel good: They haven't been embarrassed--and that's not ALL rocky Gator play.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema