• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Gameday: Tennessee vs Gators at Swamp (9/16/2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
We were at 20-3 early in 4th--5 min later all diff, just up 3 and fading.
Big runback, but who figures our offense are gonna do much with it?
I gotta hunch--not that Mac/Nuss would try anythimg like it: Put Del Rio in there, let him throw. DO NOT PLAY NOT TO LOSE!

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Not that I am blaming Franks for anything here--he's learning, and while he missed a coupla throws that coulda changed the game early, he has hung in there, done tbe best with the plays he's been given to execute. It ISN'T that we have no talent on that side of the ball. It's just that our coaches have beem apparently neutered somewhere alomg the way.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Finally. A well-called and executed drive for TD when it mattered

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
We suck.
Franks shouldn't have been PUT in this position late, in my view.
But it ALL goes back to our Coach.
Our D just has nothing left, thanks to the game HE has called.
This is bad. Even more or less seeing it coming, it hurts.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Here comes the losing TD at the end.
Unless our D somehow comes thru one more time, guess we HAVE to put it on Franks' shoulders and pray for a miracle.
NO! We lose this one this way, PUT THE BLAME WHERE IT BELONGS:
FUCK COACH MAC!!!

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
That does it. Facemask to the 10 yd line.
This is a slowdeath nightmare.
I know, we ALL know whats gonna happen now. I cannot watch. This isn't just a loss--it is "suicide by Coach's offense".
I am gone, friends.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Never mind found it on ESPN.com, man Franks has a cannon.
Yeah LOL--I had just switched away in sad disgust, unable to watch Tenn finally break thru our VALIENT-BUT-GASSED defense to put game away in last minute...
Was switching around my more obscure satellite stations for smaller game feeds (I have a worldwide satellite-to-device feed service called SET TV NOW that delivers blocks of channels from 5 continents and something like 20+ diff countries, which includes every college game out there being broadcast at the time) when a friend of mine with the UT program whom I'd been texting with bout our game and who KNEW I'd switched away, suddenly called and simply said, "Um, you'll wanna switch back to YOUR game; and if it's DVR'd, run it back from about 2 minutes before now..." So I did. Wow. What to say? Amazing, in every way. Guess we now KNOW, barring injury, who our starting QB will be for the forseeable...

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Without a doubt the best finish to a gator game I have ever saw!!!!
Good ol rocky flop!!!!!!
Wooooooo
That WAS exciting, brilliant, wonderfully shocking even to US, after everything that had previously transpired--That we seemed to have managed to blow a game we first should have pulled away in, then seemed to have managed to regain control of, THEN were on the verge of losing in stomach-sinking fashion as clock ran down--then that exhausted but heroic defense held, made 'em settle again for 3pts... And then we WON with the classic Hail Mary by our "promising young freshman" ON THE LAST PLAY OF GAME!!!
That flag lying on the ground outside the endzone had me quickly back on edge for a moment, but this time it held, stripes picked it up and it was CELEBRATION TIME IN THE SWAMP. For the moment all was somehow well again, after all.
There've been some great moments in the Swamp, even last-play ones (at least one I remember against the same rival), but right now I'm hard-pressed to recall one more crazily coming to save us so suddenly at the very END.
It's great that it happened, of course--especially that it was our embattled young "QB of the future" who pulled it off.
But let us NOT forget what happened in the previous 59+ minutes of this one:
How our Head Coach and his OC oversaw ANOTHER crap-fest on offense, full of poor strategy, tactics, mistakes and generally questionable-at-best coaching of a Gator team with (even missing some of its best weapons) more talent than its rival, talent that once again was repeatedly misused. A late lead nonetheless thanks to just a brave, proud but (thanks to that foundering offense's same misuse) utterly exhausted defense that this Coach's same mishandling on offense then managed to fritter away.
So Mac DID find and elevate to starter the "right QB"--but what about the rest?
Does a sudden shining momentary "miracle" UNDO it all, the mistakes, poor plans and execution, the growing clarity that the problems are there and growing worse, on AND off the field?
How long do we wait now? How fast, how far does our program have to fall before we can begin to honestly and publicly acknowledge, more importantly address all this once more?
Of course I'm happy we won. I TOO laughed and cheered, all the questions and frustration momentarily gone--not "swept away", but briefly receded, temporarily "cut down to size". But unless I have been and continue to BE completely wrong, unless this turns out to be some total inspirational turnaround that launches us into a some amazing streak, rolling up win after win in growing confidence and domination on an offense suddenly poised and efficient, well, this will only delay what we've already seen for far too long.
Sorry: Will dwell on it no further. No matter WHAT it all means, what the long term consequences are, I could never root AGAINST my Gators, cannot be anything but HAPPY at a win--let alone one like this. But neither can I ignore or forget the larger picture of what's been happening, where we are or where we appeared to be heading. And unless that truly changes, the rest is just distraction, and frankly, likely a delay on the way to doing what we'll still eventually have to do.

Ufgatorfan

VIP Member
Well I'm happy for Franks. He's a talented kid and needs game experience. He's got a cannon for an arm. The win well its just a win but this team from top to bottom is soft. D line got pushed around. Offensive line like the last 7 years is a work in progress. Yet we recruit 3 and 4 star recruits but can't develop these guys.

Coaching staff sucks from top to bottom. Shannon is the only bright spot and only because its his first year as DC. Mac sucks ass. He's right up there with the Zooker and Muschamp as far as head coaching ability at Florida.

Until they prove me wrong at develop these players and get a ducking offense I will have no respect for these coaches. I truly hope they fire Mac but as long as other teams give us these cheap wins he will stay here which sucks.

Fuck the whole a win is a win and its a rivalry game nonsense. We are a bad team at this point and have not a lot to look forward to as long as Mac is the coach.

One more thing if I hear him give his stupid irritating post game "that's pretty cool" remark I'm gonna shoot myself. Can't he think of something else to say. No its not pretty cool that your offense has had zero progression in 3 fucking years. No its not pretty cool that your defense is your best offense. No its not pretty cool that our football team is the laughing stock of commentators. No its not pretty cool that you keep saying pretty cool. Shut the fuck up and make some fucking offensive progress. That would be pretty cool pass hole.

Last edited:

miltongator

Gator Fan
That WAS exciting, brilliant, wonderfully shocking even to US, after everything that had previously transpired--That we seemed to have managed to blow a game we first should have pulled away in, then seemed to have managed to regain control of, THEN were on the verge of losing in stomach-sinking fashion as clock ran down--then that exhausted but heroic defense held, made 'em settle again for 3pts... And then we WON with the classic Hail Mary by our "promising young freshman" ON THE LAST PLAY OF GAME!!!
That flag lying on the ground outside the endzone had me quickly back on edge for a moment, but this time it held, stripes picked it up and it was CELEBRATION TIME IN THE SWAMP. For the moment all was somehow well again, after all.
There've been some great moments in the Swamp, even last-play ones (at least one I remember against the same rival), but right now I'm hard-pressed to recall one more crazily coming to save us so suddenly at the very END.
It's great that it happened, of course--especially that it was our embattled young "QB of the future" who pulled it off.
But let us NOT forget what happened in the previous 59+ minutes of this one:
How our Head Coach and his OC oversaw ANOTHER crap-fest on offense, full of poor strategy, tactics, mistakes and generally questionable-at-best coaching of a Gator team with (even missing some of its best weapons) more talent than its rival, talent that once again was repeatedly misused. A late lead nonetheless thanks to just a brave, proud but (thanks to that foundering offense's same misuse) utterly exhausted defense that this Coach's same mishandling on offense then managed to fritter away.
So Mac DID find and elevate to starter the "right QB"--but what about the rest?
Does a sudden shining momentary "miracle" UNDO it all, the mistakes, poor plans and execution, the growing clarity that the problems are there and growing worse, on AND off the field?
How long do we wait now? How fast, how far does our program have to fall before we can begin to honestly and publicly acknowledge, more importantly address all this once more?
Of course I'm happy we won. I TOO laughed and cheered, all the questions and frustration momentarily gone--not "swept away", but briefly receded, temporarily "cut down to size". But unless I have been and continue to BE completely wrong, unless this turns out to be some total inspirational turnaround that launches us into a some amazing streak, rolling up win after win in growing confidence and domination on an offense suddenly poised and efficient, well, this will only delay what we've already seen for far too long.
Sorry: Will dwell on it no further. No matter WHAT it all means, what the long term consequences are, I could never root AGAINST my Gators, cannot be anything but HAPPY at a win--let alone one like this. But neither can I ignore or forget the larger picture of what's been happening, where we are or where we appeared to be heading. And unless that truly changes, the rest is just distraction, and frankly, likely a delay on the way to doing what we'll still eventually have to do.
First "walk-off touchdown" in the Swamp that I can remember. But then, I'm old and forgetful.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
First "walk-off touchdown" in the Swamp that I can remember. But then, I'm old and forgetful.
I'm a 1980 grad, since early childhood a lifelong Gator-fan, and I can't remember a true "walk off" before this either. Closest I can recall (and personally witnessed, live--AND, because I too am getting "up there" I suppose, things are starting to get "mushed together" as years go by, at this point I can't totally trust my memory of exactly the year and details--including my current "THINK so..."-recollection that "that other one" happened at THEIR place) was one I noted above, ALSO against the Vols--that controversial, bang-bang tenth-of-a-second "possession" of a short "throw-and-catch" play to our receiver in the endzone in the final seconds: It was back in the 90s/turn-of-the-millennium, the reciever caught and held the ball, both feet planted flat on turf, before defender running with him slapped ball outta his hands an instant later--and (in what I believe was still "pre-replay officials" era), it was then "all in hands" of onfield officials, who ruled TD. Replay, though NOT part of ruling process yet back then, were nonetheless shown right after on TV broadcast of a Sat night game, and certainly appeared to well-support the onfield ruling in aftermath...then again, there were multiple different angles to look at, but fact is that, if anything, these avoided the real issue and problem at the time: THEY WERE ALL SHOWN IN SLOW MOTION. The real question was, "Did the receiver hold it LONG ENOUGH before defender slapped ball out a small fraction of a second later, AFTER receiver squeezes the ball. "Slo-Mo" obscures that, if anything. Far as Gatordom was/is concerned,, myself included: "Catch, possession, TD--We'll take it...Let's get off the field, shower and go celebrate!" But even 20+ years later you'll be hard-pressed to find a Vol who agrees.
Anyway, THIS was better. (Understatement, to say the least)
LOL--All those STUNNED, wide-eyed and crestfallen young VOL faces, a few of the older, retired-and-here-in-Gainesville to travel, tailgate and PARTY WITH THEIR TEAM-types now holding their heads in SHOCK...
Doesn't change, certainly not FIX all the problems that are still sitting there on our side among those who KNOW football, COLLEGE football, have BEEN there through the years, decades of "fun'n'gun", "Gator'n'Haters", trust and betrayal and on and on and ON...
Like the proverbial "800 lb gorilla in the room": next morning, none of THAT changes all the rest...
All that stuff right after,then late into night AND first thing in morning now as you open your eyes and it all continues to sink in, well...
It's like that credit card commercial few years back, one that lists the ups'n'downs, building to the payoff,
"...PRICELESS!"
Lots we will still have to face and deal with, this likely fading to a happy memory that doesn't change what I still believe is ultimately "inevitable"...but again, as always:
"Hope I'm wrong, but..."

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Well I'm happy for Franks. He's a talented kid and needs game experience. He's got a cannon for an arm. The win well its just a win but this team from top to bottom is soft. D line got pushed around. Offensive line like the last 7 years is a work in progress. Yet we recruit 3 and 4 star recruits but can't develop these guys.

Coaching staff sucks from top to bottom. Shannon is the only bright spot and only because its his first year as DC. Mac sucks ass. He's right up there with the Zooker and Muschamp as far as head coaching ability at Florida.

Until they prove me wrong at develop these players and get a ducking offense I will have no respect for these coaches. I truly hope they fire Mac but as long as other teams give us these cheap wins he will stay here which sucks.

Fuck the whole a win is a win and its a rivalry game nonsense. We are a bad team at this point and have not a lot to look forward to as long as Mac is the coach.

One more thing if I hear him give his stupid irritating post game "that's pretty cool" remark I'm gonna shoot myself. Can't he think of something else to say. No its not pretty cool that your offense has had zero progression in 3 fucking years. No its not pretty cool that your defense is your best offense. No its not pretty cool that our football team is the laughing stock of commentators. No its not pretty cool that you keep saying pretty cool. Shut the fuck up and make some fucking offensive progress. That would be pretty cool pass hole.
Totally "Agree" with EVERYTHING you say here, UFGF--so much so I want to say more:
First of all, turns out that OF COURSE that IS pretty well the first thing he DID say when sideline "eye candy"/"onfield color" girl caught him walking off field in wild craziness ("...pretty cool for this team, and all of THEM...") as he swept his hand around the scene. Yeah, I am WAY sick of ALL the butt-covering/deflect-the-spotlight avoidance Mac does, of ANY of the huge and growing list of "same old shit that's killing us and NOT being addressed", in fact is GROWING WORSE!
That's why, happy as I am for Franks (and for myself, ALL OF US, at getting ANY kind of release after months, now YEARS of relentlessly building frustration and disappointment...But the other side of all this is my very real FEAR that this Head Coach and his mostly-failing-grades game-after-game staff just got at least temporarily bailed-out by a single last-second miracle play by his freshman QB...
Putting off that much longer the still necessary, I believe inevitably impending process of "clean house and start over".
And fun and satisfying as the event was and IS, it may well have happened "at the worst moment possible", if THAT, such a great moment, IS possible. Here's why:
The two most talented and currently "HOTTEST" potential "future Gator Head Coaches" out there right now are Chip Kelly and Chris Mullen. I'd rank them #1 and #2 respectively, and with our money we are one of the very few who can afford "NFL money" Kelly is used to, and we do have a long time relationship/mutual familiarity with Mullen. There's more to be starting with somewhat of an edge in BOTH cases, so I think either may ne doable--but quiet research, background "feelers", the decision (at least of preference) and advance groundwork has to begin NOW--and "agreement in principle" needs to be reached (if not then announced) in such manner that it can be held off OR announced by or BEFORE the end of the regular college schedule this year. Otherwise, we don't get EITHER one--either of what I believe are the only two "close and best matches" for us out there for now, and maybe some years to come. Only other guy on our radar, from what I'm told, remains Charlie Strong--but it is thought (and I get the impression this is for solid reasons that include not only what we know about the man, his ethics AND details of his current situation at USF, "close off-the-record talks" between a handful of our "top boosters", the "money guys" and the man himself) that, unless he somehow quickly finds himself getting hosed like at Texas, he won't even consider bailing on USF for more money in the middle of what will by then be a successful retool and a likely rise-to-new-heights stint there--one by then already proven and on-track. At best, that's probably 3 years away soonest (plus-or-minus); for us that makes Charlie more of a "if we stick with Mac/Nuss for NOW" OR bring in "another new guy now"-choice; then, no matter what or which, EITHER of them OR whomever IS Gator Coach by then has CLEARLY failed--at which point "the stars will have properly aligned" to finally bring Charle Strong to the Gators as our Head Coach. For now tho that's a whole lotta "Ifs".
So whatever the "perceptions" and/or rationales are, for now a bunch of non-football, "image" and/or fan and media "PERCEPTIONS" are looking likely to decide, at least greatly influence the timing and likely "future of the Program"- choices at University of Florida...AND (in spite of yesterday's onfield excitement and ultimate resolution), the same ongoing problems and need for change that were growing and accelerating for years, before this one game OR its "temporary turnaround" in the last few seconds of play, are still there--"still sitting there, blocking our way, like the 800 lb gorilla in the middle of the room".

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
That Win was so great! Go Gators!
Can't argue with you there, brother.
Despite everything, or maybe BECAUSE of it--like how so many tiny-detailed things that had to happen to even put us in position for the "miracle" to HAPPEN, mostly BAD things (such as all the mistakes and poor coaching that piled up to have us heading to overtime thoroughly bummed out as a team and beyond exhausted on defense, in a game where we were ready, hyped up, at home in the Swamp against a team we were clearly more talented than, even with 2 of our key offensive weapons missing, btw), well, we're ALL still on somewhat of high. Including me: STILL got a warm satisfaction all over. Was great being able to even WATCH the post-game highlights shows Sat and Sun, let alone our Gators being news that we can be proud of, one of the headline-clips shown again and again.
But all those "bad things" leading up to the sudden reversal DID happen. Again. They are relentlessly typical of this team and program now, through 3 coaching regimes and like, 7 or 8 seasons?
Enjoy the win, its stunning ending, and those Vols fans' stunned faces as our guys swarmed the endzone and the Swamp erupted in a way not seen in many years...But at some point our feet touch the ground again, one way or another reality sets back in, and recognition of this team and its coaching staff's mediocrity returns--and ultimately, our fully facing it all and dealing with it has still to be dealt with.

miltongator

Gator Fan
Totally "Agree" with EVERYTHING you say here, UFGF--so much so I want to say more:
First of all, turns out that OF COURSE that IS pretty well the first thing he DID say when sideline "eye candy"/"onfield color" girl caught him walking off field in wild craziness ("...pretty cool for this team, and all of THEM...") as he swept his hand around the scene. Yeah, I am WAY sick of ALL the butt-covering/deflect-the-spotlight avoidance Mac does, of ANY of the huge and growing list of "same old shit that's killing us and NOT being addressed", in fact is GROWING WORSE!
That's why, happy as I am for Franks (and for myself, ALL OF US, at getting ANY kind of release after months, now YEARS of relentlessly building frustration and disappointment...But the other side of all this is my very real FEAR that this Head Coach and his mostly-failing-grades game-after-game staff just got at least temporarily bailed-out by a single last-second miracle play by his freshman QB...
Putting off that much longer the still necessary, I believe inevitably impending process of "clean house and start over".
And fun and satisfying as the event was and IS, it may well have happened "at the worst moment possible", if THAT, such a great moment, IS possible. Here's why:
The two most talented and currently "HOTTEST" potential "future Gator Head Coaches" out there right now are Chip Kelly and Chris Mullen. I'd rank them #1 and #2 respectively, and with our money we are one of the very few who can afford "NFL money" Kelly is used to, and we do have a long time relationship/mutual familiarity with Mullen. There's more to be starting with somewhat of an edge in BOTH cases, so I think either may ne doable--but quiet research, background "feelers", the decision (at least of preference) and advance groundwork has to begin NOW--and "agreement in principle" needs to be reached (if not then announced) in such manner that it can be held off OR announced by or BEFORE the end of the regular college schedule this year. Otherwise, we don't get EITHER one--either of what I believe are the only two "close and best matches" for us out there for now, and maybe some years to come. Only other guy on our radar, from what I'm told, remains Charlie Strong--but it is thought (and I get the impression this is for solid reasons that include not only what we know about the man, his ethics AND details of his current situation at USF, "close off-the-record talks" between a handful of our "top boosters", the "money guys" and the man himself) that, unless he somehow quickly finds himself getting hosed like at Texas, he won't even consider bailing on USF for more money in the middle of what will by then be a successful retool and a likely rise-to-new-heights stint there--one by then already proven and on-track. At best, that's probably 3 years away soonest (plus-or-minus); for us that makes Charlie more of a "if we stick with Mac/Nuss for NOW" OR bring in "another new guy now"-choice; then, no matter what or which, EITHER of them OR whomever IS Gator Coach by then has CLEARLY failed--at which point "the stars will have properly aligned" to finally bring Charle Strong to the Gators as our Head Coach. For now tho that's a whole lotta "Ifs".
So whatever the "perceptions" and/or rationales are, for now a bunch of non-football, "image" and/or fan and media "PERCEPTIONS" are looking likely to decide, at least greatly influence the timing and likely "future of the Program"- choices at University of Florida...AND (in spite of yesterday's onfield excitement and ultimate resolution), the same ongoing problems and need for change that were growing and accelerating for years, before this one game OR its "temporary turnaround" in the last few seconds of play, are still there--"still sitting there, blocking our way, like the 800 lb gorilla in the middle of the room".
How 'bout Gundy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema