• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Gameday: Tennessee vs Gators at Swamp (9/16/2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Gonna put this up now--just in case I can't actually bring myself to watch come Saturday (only HALF kidding...maybe LESS than "half").
If you saw last week's "post-game" presser (we lost to a storm...a storm called "Irma" no less), you mighta noted our Head Coach's attitude, demeaner, whatever you wanna call that strangely depressed, defeated mess.
Ostensibly a "somber reaction to the destruction and devastation" (the storm's, I THINK), that's NOT how it struck me. No, felt very much as though this guy knows in his heart he has blown it and is GONE.
May well be true--but still a terrible performance, the wrong one at that moment--a "BAD SIGN", to say the least.
A poor time to send the messages, verbal and NON-VERBAL, he seemingly couldn't help but send.
Overall "message"="Can't WAIT to get outta here..." OK, wasn't gonna happen THIS soon no matter what. But fact remains we have surprisingly quickly gotten close to time to begin asking, "When IS the point that it IS time"?
And on THAT note as background...
I frankly have paid so little attention to the details of our team's ongoing problems since that "show" that I admit I don't know where we're at in terms of getting back or losing more of our players this week and those ahead.
So: If we got 'em all back, and one of the QBs stepped up, managed to execute a game plan that doesn't NEED an O-line, I suppose our D might keep us in it, close enough and long enough to beat a "no talented than WE are" Vol team in the Swamp.
That's the best, most optimistoc forecast I can manage. Things remain the same or deteriate further, and who KNOWS how badly this could go? Which might well soon answer my above questions and considerations in a more definite and widespread response.
Of course, maybe they pull it together, go out and whip the Vols soundly--in which case, far as I'M concerned only puts those q's OFF for a week or two.
It's not just a question of a bad loss on a national stage to start the season. It's EVERYTHING we see, onfield and off, on part of players AND Coach, that have led to these questions and conclusions.
Together, players and staff have put us ALL right where we are: mired in mediocrity for too long, with less look than ever of positive change.

miltongator

Gator Fan
IMHO, a loss to the Vols will likely spell disaster for the season and possibly for Coach Mac. Remember when Mac said he could win with his dog playing QB? Well, we've had plenty of dogs and the wins we've accumulated were because of a stout D. Now the D is not quite as good and the offense looks worse (if that's possible). Hang on, Gator Nation. It looks like we're in for a long torturous ride through mediocrity. God, I hope I'm wrong!

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Yep--Agree with everything you say.
Including that last qualifier--"Hope I'm wrong..." is there underneath ALL our "bottomline analyses/intuitive view of what's coming". Trouble is, just about everyONE of us has to add that Gator-loving footnote to our otherwise dark dread of what's ahead.
I just CAN'T find much sympathy for Coach Mac. He promised what EVERYONE OF US could see was missing...and hasn't delivered. What we got instead has been, if anything, WORSE offense, WORSE off field behavior, overall a general selfishness and malaise AND top-to-bottom decay of anything LIKE "team cohesion".
And we look to be heading for worse. No matter WHAT happens Saturday in the Swamp, I see a team in disarray, and a program that'll now take YEARS to rebuild into a true annual power--even if we were to start with "the RIGHT guy" tomorrow.
As it is, for all these reasons and more, I am in fact now in favor of axing Mac as soon as we (well, our somewhat-of-late fumbling "braintrust") quietly go after and reasonably think we can GET his replacement (and with Chip Kelly, that MIGHT be doable, btw).
But of course "I hope to HELL I'm wrong..."

miltongator

Gator Fan
Coach Mac falls back on "we won the SEC East 2 years in a row" but, truth be told, he did that with a weakened SEC East and Muschamp's defense. To me, he just seems to project a cavalier attitude about all the problems with the program.
Of course, I'm not on the locker room and that probably is totally different from the "public face" he puts on.
But, where's the team motivation?

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Listening to the guys on College Game Day is depressing. We have devolved into a joke.
Yes--I see that too.
You know, think/look back just a matter of weeks and you'll see we came into this season simply ignored, mainly: "No respect!" was about the best face we could put on it at that point--in the HOPE that they were wrong, that that growing "band wagon effect" (in our case, a veritable stampede AWAY from us) was typical among the modern media--that this would only harden the chip on our team and program's collective shoulder...
That was our HOPE, but deep down a lot of us (most, even) knew we'd put OURSELVES in this position, by then deserved the suspicion of "weakness-at-the-core" (both individual players AND the program as a whole)--and subsequent off AND onfield revelations have confirmed it.
So by now, as a result and as you note above, mg, just a few weeks pass and it seems we have further DEvolved--into a joke on offense far as the media is concerned. And we all KNOW we deserve THAT.
But it is the OFF field issues that should really concern us: These are LONGTERM concerns...They're not going away anytime soon. They are NOT something a single win over a so-far disappointingly underachieving Tennessee team can fix.
The UF Gators are a fragmented NON-"team" of selfish, short-sited individuals who STILL think they are "entitled" somehow, even now.
We can't win consistently with key offense guys not on the field--not sure where all that is at THIS week (have sorta ducked out of my normal obsessive monitoring of our program this past week-plus), but there's a bigger, deeper problem: ALL of it shows a pervasive systemic breakdown, one that our Coach hasn't addressed, still isn't addressing--and for all this and more, will likely expect an immediate return to their "starring roles" here on their (in many cases imagined) way to the NFL--and (like Grier, for eg, lets face it) will probably just up'n'LEAVE at the slightest humbling idea that we can't count on them, that they be required to EARN their way back to trust, responsibility and full opportunities.
Our "offense guru" Head Coach has shown NO special insight into building a style OR helping his QB. In fact he seems to take a scrambling "scatter shot" approach--to whom he plays under center, when they go in and what they do there...In fact, that more and more appears to be his approach to all aspects of game tactics and strategy.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Like y'all, for me it's "Well, I'm here..." time. For my own sake AND yours, I have tried to curb my expectations--but it is more with dread than excitement that I approach the opening of SEC play now.
If things go south in a hurry here, might have to bail early.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Shoulda been a flag there...No Callaway, haven't followed all that but didn't expect him...buncha talented losers.
Not gonna run on these guys unless they get some action far downfield. Powell looks good though. And Franks is gettimg some protect--looks sharp.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Wasted down there. GOTTA play the angles. No doubt bout it, tho: Callowy n Scarlett are really missed on that offense.
Why, if we had them, AND an actual competent and deep O-line, it'd be a whole diff deal all around! 'Course, that'd prob mean we'd have a real "TEAM" that hung together, had each others' backs and WEREN'T a buncha "talented losers".
Tough running again...Gonna need a LOT of that.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
This is embarrassing. Get in the red zone, start backung up with dumb mistakes.
This is something (one of many) I don't like in general bout Mac/Nuss offense--TOO MANY PLAYS. Get it IN there, DON'T pussy foot around. So we end up with 3 instead of 7 we "woulda/shoulda/coulda"...
And another demo of what is so predictably frustrating now, season after season with the Florida Gators on Offense: There is talent on the field, but they consistently don't quite get it DONE.
They need to go to the endzone--NOT just "control the ball" then settle for 3.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Hell, Tennessee isn't any better than us.
In fact, we may have MORE talent. But mistakes and poor coaching will too often make the difference, I fear.
Like that overly-"clever" just now to DECLINE that Vol penalty and "force" third'n'med-short. With our D, you back 'em UP there, imo. COACH handed them opp't'y. Now they are rolling a bit for first time, up to mid-field.
Frankly, here it all is:
Against a team we should beat, Coaches settling for mediocrity--then counting on the D to bail them out.
I HATE everything ABOUT this staff's approach.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Bout to go behind. We've LOOKED better most of time so far--but about unless D pulls it out, shuts 'em down with a big play, the rest won't mean shit.
I see no sign that this staff, from top down, has learned, changed, or adjusted to ANYTHING--since they GOT here.
Don't know how THIS one will turn out, but play here in the first qrtr has only solidified my views.
And what did I say? D makes play to bail out poor coaching errors. Only they DIDN'T get the pick-6, so more floundering on offense. And such imaginitive play-calling on O once they got it back.
And here's our "best offensive weapon", the punter.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I'm sorry...gonna shut up for a while...
But before I do, let us note what we've seen: Same ol' crap, this time slow-and-getting-slower against an inferior team.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
...But Ol' Ball Coach ain't coming back--not as Coach anyway...
But HEY! I had a funny thought other day:
Now, I don't know how the weird baseball stint/stunt/detour affects this idea, but imagine maybe 'nother 9 or 10 yrs of futility (hate that part--but we've DONE almost that much already!), but then, 20 years into and at the very bottom of our long slide, ANOTHER "Heisman -winning Favorite Son" comes riding back to clean house and lead us BACK! TT returns as our Head Coach, like SS so long ago, leads us to the promised land!
Have no idea if coaching's in his future OR how good he'd be (need to start DOING it soon, prove himself and pay his dues)--but on motivation and energy ALONE I KNOW he could do better than this staff, THIS Head Coach. OK ok it's mostly a joke here now, the TT part...but this staff is just proving how little coherence there is to any PART of an offensive scheme.
"Don't worry, Mac: I DON'T blame Nuss (well, not that much)-- I mainly blame YOU!".

miltongator

Gator Fan
...But Ol' Ball Coach ain't coming back--not as Coach anyway...
But HEY! I had a funny thought other day:
Now, I don't know how the weird baseball stint/stunt/detour affects this idea, but imagine maybe 'nother 9 or 10 yrs of futility (hate that part--but we've DONE almost that much already!), but then, 20 years into and at the very bottom of our long slide, ANOTHER "Heisman -winning Favorite Son" comes riding back to clean house and lead us BACK! TT returns as our Head Coach, like SS so long ago, leads us to the promised land!
Have no idea if coaching's in his future OR how good he'd be (need to start DOING it soon, prove himself and pay his dues)--but on motivation and energy ALONE I KNOW he could do better than this staff, THIS Head Coach. OK ok it's mostly a joke here now, the TT part...but this staff is just proving how little coherence there is to any PART of an offensive scheme.
"Don't worry, Mac: I DON'T blame Nuss (well, not that much)-- I mainly blame YOU!".
I'm with you on that. Maybe I'll live long enough to see it.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Aw, FUCK this!
Like I said, WAY too many plays. And ANOTHER "settle for 3". We have dominated this half, even on offense--and we have less than a td, just 6 pts to show for it. Likely lose in the 2nd half.
Yes, we all can see all the mistakes and weaknesses--and far as I'M concerned EVERY ONE OF THEM, directly and/or INdirectly go back to the Head Coach.
In fact, nothing that happens from now on in this one will change my analysis and conclusions. Not just the rest of this game but the rest of this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema