• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Gameday - Buffalo Wild Wings Citrus Bowl - #19 Florida vs #14 Michigan

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
I watched the first half of the game before I ran out of booze and just went to sleep.

Happy New Year, everyone!

Ufgatorfan

VIP Member
Before Will Grier was suspended the Gators were in the top 20 in many offensive statistical categories and in the top in defensive statistical categories. That was a balanced team that could have gone far in 2016. After the suspension the Gators landed in the bottom of most offensive statistical categories, and the defense was barely able to hang on to a top-10 ranking.

Criticize Coach Mac all you want. He and this coaching staff did a great job coaching the Gators up, and we will see a big difference in the next two years with complete recruiting classes and a purge of any leftovers from the Muschamp era.
Only thing that drives me crazy with Mac is his post game comments......from "selling more popcorn" to "pretty cool" and after the last three beat downs....."well learn from this" and "well get better". Who f#$$ing cares about playing selling popcorn and No Mac we havent learned and we havent gotten better. There was zero improvement on offense and I wish he would call it like it is. I was at the game they did not play their "tails off". There was a lot of lackluster efforts. Hargreaves got burn and hes supposed to be a lock down corner. Hes blown coverages several times and has gotten beat several times throughout the year. Tabor is a much better CB IMO. Our linebackers could not cover the middle and looked like they never saw a TE or WR come across the middle and sit. The de line got zero penetration all game. The offense well same ole same ole. Other then Calloway none of the WR could figure out how to get open and when they they either dropped passes or Harris didnt have the sense or arm strength to get it to them. This looked like a Muschamp coached team from start to finish but id bet the defense would of played better.

My opinion is these guys were too worried about making themselves look good for NFL scouts that they forgot how to play as a team. They did not have the hunger or desire to win the game. We were out coached and out played from the coin toss to the end of the game. Mac should be ashamed of the performance by both the players and coaches. Ive told people its way too soon to say Mac is the savior of Gator Football. His done a good job with the players hes had but his success this year is directly tied to the fact that the SEC East is putrid. Other than Ole Miss this team has proved it can not hang with a well coached team with top athletes. Next year is not a make it or break it but it will be interesting on seeing the direction the program is going.

I swear if Harris is even considered for the starting job next year I will not watch a single game. Mac needs to be honest with us and the team. Harris is no way capable of competing in the SEC as a QB. He needs to be a back up and maybe consider a position change or transfer.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
@Ufgatorfan You have to look past Jim McElwain's folksy nature. What he meant to say was "I ****ing tried to make Treon Harris as good as Will Grier, but the kid won't ****ing listen when I tell him to throw the ****ing ball! Let it go, kid!"

When he said "the kids played their tails off", what he meant to say was "Well, that sucked, but I refuse to make the kids look bad on national television, as Muschamp would have. I will kick their ***es when we get back to Gainesville."

Hargreaves was a lockdown corner most of the time. His problem is that he needs a safety that he can trust. VH3 and Marcus Maye were not in sync at all in the bowl game, and VH3 himself completely jumped himself out of the play on a couple passes. In the regular season, he did lock down his receiver better than Tabor by forcing opposing QBs to throw to the other side. Tabor is not a lockdown corner--he is a pass defender. Each of them finished with 4 INTs and just over 20 tackles. Tabor broke up 14 passes to VH3's 4, because Tabor was not locking down his receiver before the break. Brian Poole and Jalen Tabor communicated with each other better than Marcus Maye and VH3. Maye also had a problem with turning his head in time to prevent a pass interference call. In summary: VH3 really was the better DB, but he mailed it in for the bowl game.

Coach Mac did a great job coaching Grier to beat Ole Miss. No coach on earth is going to magically whisper Harris into a good quarterback. That is not how it works. If Coach Mac had more options on the offensive line, he would have switched up the OL blocking scheme to give Treon better throwing and running lanes. Harris kept getting flushed to his left, where the opposing DE would always blast through Mason Halter. When the OL rolled the pocket to his right, Harris had all day to throw, but nobody was getting open. Opposing defenses figured out that the Gators were running the same low/high route in order to make it easy for Harris. Since Harris could read the high/low, the defenses could read it as well and they just used a DB to split the high/low routes, and Harris could not see his outlet receiver (one of the tight ends running a crossing route), because the offensive line had just let the entire defense walk through. In summary: Will Grier was the only coachable QB on the roster who was able to play behind a weak OL.

The whole bowl game was a waste of time for the fans, but it was very useful for the players and coaches. The only fix is to reduce the number of bowl games from 41 to 13 (top 25, plus one playoff bowl game). Let all schools have winter practice, not just the bowl teams. Finally, pay the athletes a higher cost of attendance (COA) stipend during bowl season--pay them to be excited!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema