• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Gameday #4: Gators Host Vols

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Well, we managed to extend that UK streak; think we can do it again here at home? Tougher proposition no doubt about it--but NOT as if this Tennessee team is the up'n'coming "new power in the SEC" we were supposed to get steamrolled by, either.
Aw, there I go. And why not? Yeah, everyone's talking about how they're definitely "more talented" than us, and maybe they are, but it ain't lookin' by a whole lot, if so.
The "experts" all had this one a pretty sure win for the Vols comin' into the season: Now they're more split on it--something about "maybe if it wasn't in the Swamp...". Hope that turns out to make the kind of difference it once did. Otherwise I see us losing a close one in SOME kinda combo of headcase-breakdowns.
Sorry, but that's how I see us and our main, consistent weakness nowadays, curtesy of both recruiting and coaching on part of both latter-day Meyer/Addazio AND Muschamp to follow: Inattention/stupidity (post 2009 Championship and Meyer " breakdown") in the former duo, just inept unreadiness as an HC in the latter case (and he ain't exactly workn miracles over at Auburn either, is he, even just on D? Ya gotta get the horses 'for ya can ride 'em to the winners circle).
So: bottom line is I have NO idea who actually wins this one--but if we could put one mostly mistake-free game together, in the Swamp or ANYWHERE, this Coach, with this talent, could rise up and beat this Vols team. Handily.
The frustrating, sad truth is, even with the current "half-empty cupboard" in G-ville, I remain convinced that this coach could beat any of the 2nd tier in our league--and therefore, by extension, most of the rest of the schools in the country--"on any given day", IF they bought fully in and played AS A TEAM, the kind of team he intends to build here. Except at a few skill positions and depth along the O line, we are already close to being good. The rest is "in their heads".
I just can't pick against our boys here. Fundamentally constructed that way, I guess. But I'll be watching this one thru my fingers, I fear. If we win it, it'll be late, and close. Maybe our kicker finally comes thru. Nice story maybe--but frankly I'd rather it were in the hands of Grier and Robinson, come to that. Or better yet, and far more likely: Vernon snags a pick-6 to put it away? Sigh. I really hate it that I can't just chalk up a loss here and go watch the Horns/Cowboys game with my gf.

miltongator

Gator Fan
If we can get Mick to quit jinxing our kicker like last week, we'll have a better chance. As long as he's been broadcasting the Gators, you'd think he'd know better. We get a penalty on a field goal and he says, no problem, it's just 5 yards. Just line it up and kick it through. No problem. Next play.....blocked FG attempt.
The pundits seems to think the Vols are more talented than we are and that's true on offense. It just means that the "D" will have to create some turnovers for us to compete. They've done it before, time to do it again.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Please, lets not talk bout kickers. I'm comin' round to Spjrrier's old view of 'em when he was here: "Don't waste a scholarship on 'em, don't put a game in their hands, EVER."
Meanwhile, first series goes down drain when Grier misses an open receive, again...a MILE over his head. And accuracy, as a drop back passer, more than anything else, is supposed to be his biggest strength--why we got him. Sick of QBs who are illusions as prep stars. Was really hoping Mac could do more with him, but what's tge cure for "can't throw it to the open guy breaking into the open"? Up to the TEs I guess...Here's Taylor breaking one, FINALLY! NICE. But now we have to score a TD from inside the 10, not something we've been reliably good at. There it is...we NEED that running game, for Taylor to come alive.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Grier misses another open man. And another. And no Treon. There's a guy who is MISSING his big opportunity. And a TERRIBLE defensive breakdown. Tie game. Don't know how much of this I can watch. Our D was HANDLING them (STILL wondering where the replay/challenge was back on that Vol fumble, btw--maybe never COMES to this, if handled right. But we'll never win with Grier failing at QB this way. They EILL beat us in trick plays, even with our D playing well, if Grier keeps thrpwing this poorly. We may be cooked already, boys. Will Grier is turning me into a Treon Harris supporter.)

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Had control established in this one early. Bout to give it fully away, tho. Now D getting worn down suddenly--and the O back to quick 3-and-outs. Ugh, may have to jist bail...

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
There are flashes of brilliance interspersed with blocks of stupidity from the Gators. Sprinkle in some bad luck and standard SEC officiating, and I see a long day for both struggling teams.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I can accept being beaten by teams I know are better than us--that's a matter of time and coaching. But this team we're playing ISN'T "better than us". In fact, their confidence would be completely misplaced, something we could capitalize on and shove back down their throats, IF we weren't well-stocked with loser-headcases ourselves! In fact, if they weren't in the uniforms and headgear they're in, just someone playing someone else I wanted to see lose, I really think I'd actually dislike this team. HATE how they beat themselves.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Now VH3 is out. Just another challenge to overcome. We ARE in the SWAMP.
If we lose him, we lose EVERY GAME he doesn't play in. Simple as that. He is the heart, soul (and the only honest-tp-goodness STAR) on this team. And our WRs drop the ball on the rare occasion Grier gets it to them w fair accuracy.
If I'm Mac, I figure FORGET drives for points: run to rest the D, throw to the end zone for points. An oversimplification, but the idea is, "only a rested D and blind luck gets us enough to win this thing, ultimately".
Oh--THIS one gets reviewed. Where were OUR coaches earlier?

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Not very impressed with Mac's in-game coaching today, all around. Too many little mistakes, tactical and strategic, already. Between that and our kicker, we lose a close one. Only a big mistake or two by THEM will likely save us now.
It is just so demoralising that we need luck to beat a mediocre Tennessee team IN THE SWAMP. Makes me wonder whethet Mac is the right guy after all. Yeah, I know, way too early, over reaction etc etc etc--but this is a piece-of-shit gator team and performance today
We are gonna lose a game weshpulda won EASILY, you'll see.
I will do you all the service of shutting up, bowing out now.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
And our O line.....and our receivers....et al
Lol. Well, thats also true--but we'd have had "enough" to beat THIS team if our QB didn't continue to suck. I really think Treon would have been back in there w another chance, had he not "smoked" it away. But thats just par for course of this team. Only hope, turns out, already pretty well frittered away.
My friends, we might be "bad and getting worse", big picture--and it cpuld last a LONG time, another coaching change or two.
OK. I am thoroughly disgisted and disillusioned by now. Won't poison air any further. Won't come back 'til next time we've at least tied this one--or its 0-0 in the NEXT game. (God, Grier is B A D. And only a 3rd string transfer to replace him today...I think its time our Coach re-evaluate his decision, noayter HOW bad he wanted the tall dropback kid to be there...Ugh, D falling apart now...see ya, guys)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema