• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Game Day--Week 7: Into the Night

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Quick look. GEEZ--grounding! Treon, man, you CAN'T do that there. Now we are screwed after getting in pos to poss tie game. Can't watch. Too far to even get 3 yet, with Hardin.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Aw, that was the last big moment, I think. Had to hold onto that one.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Saw Treon's weaknesses and strengths tonight. And Fournette kills us there. "No Gator mojo" is right, E-. Not tonight, like you said. Well, all in the hands of the D now.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Had an assistant giving me the play-by-play while we finished up with required work here. Didn't sound like Treon had much chance there at end. That Callaway drop WAS the last gasp after all. Too bad--between them
making coupla trick plays and us just not quite getting it done when it counted in the endzone, well,"woulda shoulda coulda". We'll win some more games thos season, tho--and a WHOLE lotta games once Mac gets his guys in here. And sorry, that INCLUDES at QB. Well, lets see if Gators can drive 90 yards, in last less-than-2-minutes, with no timeouts. Nope. Sack. Worst thong short of interception. Short throw. Doesn't get outta bounds...but he throws a 40 yarder to Callaway--who catches this one, damnit. One more play? 2? 13 seconds left. Here we go, Hail Mary:
Missed. FOUR SECONDS. ONE MORE: No. Strong arm, but no accuracy this time.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
So. We held our own...but damnit, we were close on an OFF night. And we STILL would have had a good shot at overtime IF: either Mac knew about Les Miles better, was LOOKING for the fake (but that woulda meant HARDIN making the long fg on 4th after Callaway's miss--questionable, but also a chance at some redemption?), OR, well, Callaway holds onto "the one that got away"? Why do I DO this to myself? We didn't have our "A-Game" OR our "mojo" (as E-put it) tonight--but we still came close, REALLY close--closer than at least MY disjointed viewing of this game seemed to give us any right to, especially in that first half.
Strangely enough, all in all THIS game leaves me even more certain than before that this is a whole different team than before Mac arrived, positively "different" in every way. I am less worried than ever about the years to come...and I'm talking starting NOW.
Clearly we're more a "quick strike" offense than a "downhill ball control" one with Treon in there--and we'll get better at everything as he settles in, too. But Mac isn't a Coach who makes the mistake of trying to shoehorn a certain kinda player into his idea of a "preferred style of play" (hello, Coach Will & Co.)...We didn't lose because Treon couldn't run a certain kind of offense. But we didn't have enough to overcome a number of mistakes in EVERY phase of the game, lets be real--and in the end, there were just enough failures in the face of their tricks and GAMBLES, basically, that we came up short. And btw, I think our Coach will be quick to claim his share of blame. He'll be right, to some extent--but I'm certain he'll get every one of em addressed and ultimately fixed.
Damn. As much as this hurts, it isn't NEAR as bad as I thought it might be when we were seemingly on the brink of getting overwhelmed there in the 2nd qrtr. And more than ever, I AM sure bout what I said near end of game: We are gonna win some more games this year, maybe even still win the east--and a WHOLE lot of em in the years ahead. We are pretty good, though young and patchy-thin right now--but the same Coach and staff who got us HERE so quick will make sure we are special, strong-and-getting-stronger with time, new blood, work and attitude. Do y'all feel it too? We are gonna be SCARY good eventually--and that is a good thing to know and feel.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
Nobody likes losing, but this was not a bad loss. The Gators are still a top-15 team. We see that Treon Harris is not as good as Will Grier. We see that we need a kicker. We see that this team can tweak a few things and a contender. I am not convinced this team can beat an SEC West power, but it could beat any team in the East.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Treon gave it away in the end.
Ya know, I was up n down, back n forth in how I saw Treon, with what I saw him do tonight...but he's kind of a "live by him/die by him" type of player--all in all tho a potential star in his own right. I think Mac can get a lot done with him, both acknowledging his unique skill set AND limitations--maximizing former/minimizing latter with patient teaching AND tailoring offense to he and the various playmakers they do currently have on board. You saw a certain amount of just that over the course of just this, his first game as sole, undisputed, play him win-or-lose QB. (We're still gonna see our Head Coach go after a big ol' "5-star at 5-A Ball" QB or two in the next class if he can, start trying to stack em up in the que of incoming recruits, year by year, if he can. Thats gotta be a key for his style and approach--not to mention HIS "skill set"!

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
@miltongator, re your commemt about needing "work" on the running game:
Yeah, but that's gonna be limited somewhat by who and what we've got on the O-line...They're already getting more outta what they got than anyone figured they would. Again, tho health and coaching can and are getting more done than expected, it's gonna take TIME, and BODIES--Talented bodies, at that.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nobody likes losing, but this was not a bad loss. The Gators are still a top-15 team. We see that Treon Harris is not as good as Will Grier. We see that we need a kicker. We see that this team can tweak a few things and a contender. I am not convinced this team can beat an SEC West power, but it could beat any team in the East.
That about sums up the present situation in a clear-eyed, accurate way. The interesting part will be in how Treon is DIFFERENT than Will, has different (tho yes, also fewer) skills than Grier--but that the ones he's got happen to give the offense different but still robust possibilities, don't you think? Sorta , "You've GOT to both let him run AND throw long, a lot of times do a little of the former in order to pull off the latter!" He can get you big plays on a consistent basis with that crazy, near-frantic-seeming style of moving the offense.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Guess I am saying I see that with everything, we are NOT "doing it with smoke and mirrors"...we are a decent team getting better FAST, and that's gonna only be more the case as time, work, healing and RECRUITING continue with Mac, this staff and their ways of building this team and bringing it along.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
We could have won this thing--on what was FAR from our best night, on the road, after everything, against the Heisman front-runner and arguably the best team in our league right now.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
(...OK, Treon's proving why he's "a real good BACK UP, but a back up nonetheless"...but that's what we needed, what we had--and considering what our Coach seems capable of drawing from his guys, and what he'll design around them depending on their strengths and weaknesses, gotta say we were/are lucky to have him. Same time, tho', unless some transfer or super-frosh comes along and is ready before then (unlikely on both counts, unfortunately), wouldn't be surprised if Will Grier challenges him for the starting job soon as he's eligible again. He (Grier) will be working with the team and in the training facilities the whole time, limited only by not actually playing but otherwise healthy and getting stronger all the time...So whatever "upside" Treon hasn't tapped yet he must work hard to unleash, let his coaches and his own hard work bring him to peak ability and keep him there, learning more and getting better all the time. The "QB Competition" carries on, really.)

Leakfan12

VIP Member
Well at least they scored 28 points (21 of those on offense). I didn't watch the game, I was working. I wished the D didn't allow 28 points IN THE SECOND QUARTER. That was embarrassing really guys? Didn't think LSU was that good on offense even with Fournette. Not counting the last touchdown, really hating on Miles faking those FGs. I want a linebacker to slam him into the Ground next time he does that. They get a bye week before they face off against those dogs.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Well at least they scored 28 points (21 of those on offense). I didn't watch the game, I was working. I wished the D didn't allow 28 points IN THE SECOND QUARTER. That was embarrassing really guys? Didn't think LSU was that good on offense even with Fournette. Not counting the last touchdown, really hating on Miles faking those FGs. I want a linebacker to slam him into the Ground next time he does that. They get a bye week before they face off against those dogs.
Man, I had to follow it piecemeal myself--and it was frustrating enough, though didn't really turn out so badly compared to how things seemed to be going in the first half. Still, as I say, this was one we "woulda shoulda coulda" won, even on the road against a very good team, down our starting QB and spotting them a few scores... That fake was what it took for them to put our backs to the wall late, finally--but we still had a chance to tie late if Calloway grabs and holds an accurate pass into his arms and body in the end zone late ('course, he put us IN a tie earlier with the punt return for TD, and made some big catches, has emerged as onw of our true playmakers, so difficult to be too hard on him). With you TOTALLY on the fake tho; gotta figure Mac just learned about Les Miles the hard way with that play...amazingly, didn't look like our kick/defense were thinking "fake" at all there, and it burned us.
Sigh. Would say it was "respectable", except I don't believe in "moral victories" for our Gators.

miltongator

Gator Fan
Miles just did what Miles does. I was shocked that we didn't go FG Safe at that point.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema