• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Game Day--Week 7: Into the Night

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Well, here we are.
Where, exactly, who knows? Yeah, the Big Easy, night game in Death Valley against The Weed Eater (Miles) and his Turf Chewer (Fournette--have I tried gone too far with my spur-of-the-moment nicknames here?)--but emotionally, where this Gator team is at and where its headed is the big question mark.
Before we get into that, there is one more thing I want to revisit concerning what happened with WG.
(This isn't directly game-related--for which I DO NOT apologize, but will understand, even support those who wanna just move on, but I'm gonna say it anyway...Skip the next coupla paragraphs if you are just sick of even thinking about it, and wanna "just get to the GAME"
We DON'T want our team dwelling on any of this--and by all appearances and accounts (by everyone from Coach Mac, to the players, to "sources close to the program") they have not. But that doesn't mean it doesn't still bug the crap out of US, and I wanna bitch about it one more time here.
Let's be clear about all this: Unless I'm wrong, the NCAA isn't gonna budge ONE INCH on the punishment or its length. Never mind any thought concerning "justice" or "fairness" (let alone due process). No bothering to consider relative levels of "guilt" or intent...Inadvertent consuming of an over-the-counter product containing an obscure chemical with questionable, at most marginal "performance-enhansing-benefits" will be punished in exactly the same way and to the same degree as, for example, the long-term, intentional injecting of black market anabolic steroids and masking agents over months and years. Oh, and btw: NOTHING anyone says will convince me this level of inflexibility would be faced if he were a member of, for example, either of the other 2 of the 3 traditionally major State of Florida football programs. At worst, they'd be quietly let off the hook later, punishment time reduced significantly. In our case though, don't hold your breath. So I say once again what I've said many times before: F*CK the NCAA. One day the other major programs across this land will also have had enough, for their own reasons, realize how little we need them, how they hinder rather than help at practically every turn, and together we'll leave them behind. Rendered irrelevant to those programs at the highest levels of play, we'll organize on our own, leave them with their foot-thick rulebook, megolamanaical manipulations and only the hundreds of smaller programs to decide if even they wanna bother dealing with them anymore. It's all that self-righteous, self-serving "Committee" deserves.

So. Enough of that, finally. Its main practical effect, the RE-installing of Treon Harris as our QB, is NOT necessarily the kiss-of-death to our team, program, propects for this and/or next season, or even for this game. We've talked elsewhere here about all the different ways and reasons this makes it harder, but far from the black-vs-white, facile "had a chance but now they don't" analyses we're seeing/hearing from so many now. I don't know HOW many of these "I was ready to pick Florida in this one until the Grier news came in" I've heard from hosts and guests on the radio and TV last couple/few days. Yeah, right. Same folks have already annointed Fournette the 2015 Heisman winner-to-be, go on and on about LSU and goin' into Death Valley at night, etc, but they WERE gonna pick us blah blah blah...Now, Will Grier HAD seemed to somehow "click in", begin to really hit a rhythm with the offense after that amazing 4th qrtr against Tennessee. And Treon DID screw up on himself and his connect with the team the following week, parallel to Will's beginning to look truly comfortable back there. But nothing says that the same kind of alchemy, transformation and sudden growth, player and team, can't and won't happen here with Treon now: This Coach and his staff seem to specialize in, among other things, getting their young charges in the emotional state ideal to do just that. And anyway, we've seen Treon come thru in tough, clutch situations before, all on his OWN (God knows Muschamp & co. gave neither he nor the rest of the offense much in the way of the practical OR emotional tools to succeed--and yet...).
Look, could it all go to sh*t? Sure, 'specially if buncha things go against us early; we've gotta weather that early combo of hyped-and-howling crowd, and whatever Les has them throw at us to do just that--overwhelm us from the start. Whatever your theories are as to how they try and do that, the obvious (Fournette) or the Big Surprise (eg. THEIR Harris throwing long early), we get through that and come out at least still close (7 pts or less down), well then we've got a game.

Leakfan12

VIP Member
Well the good news is that Treon Harris has experience including this year and he is 5-2. The Gators are trying to Grier's suspension reduce into the rest of the season (or maybe four games like the NFL, I can only hope). Their D will be better than the Mizzo Tigers (who are good). This is going to be the Gators D biggest test in Fournette. Brandon Harris had a good game against USCarolina though Spurrier's guys (he was still the coach that game) but The Gators can't completely fully committed against the run.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Well the good news is that Treon Harris has experience including this year and he is 5-2. The Gators are trying to Grier's suspension reduce into the rest of the season (or maybe four games like the NFL, I can only hope). Their D will be better than the Mizzo Tigers (who are good). This is going to be the Gators D biggest test in Fournette. Brandon Harris had a good game against USCarolina though Spurrier's guys (he was still the coach that game) but The Gators can't completely fully committed against the run.
Yeah, gotta feeling Les will try to have their at least til now pretty mediocre (but then, he hasn't HAD to be anything more than that) QB "THROW us a curve" or two, so to speak, along the way. 'Course we're gonna key on their Big Guy to start with. Have to. That doesn't mean we can't stop them if we force 'em to at least be more balanced--in fact, that's gotta be our aim early. If Les and his coaches wanna get cute, try "fooling" us by going to the air to start, WE gotta make that a favor they're doing US. More likely it'll be something we FORCE them to do, by seriously slowing down Fournette--a tall order: We'd be the first so far this year. No, smarter to just lead with your hammer. Les might be crazy, but he ain't stupid. 'Course, any coach can over-think these things.
Not counting on any favors here, though. We're gonna have to work for everything we get in this one, don't ya figure?

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
(Btw--and I promise not to dwell on all this here anymore today--way I see it, ONLY question that MIGHT break our way in the Grier-mess has to do with how "the equivalant of a calendar year" is enforced: IF the Gators were to play 8 more games this season (ie. SEC Championship game plus a Bowl), and these were counted as part of a "12 game season", then he'd be back after "only" 4 games NEXT season. No certainty we even play in the Championship, and (to my thinking) even less they interpret things that way in any case, but even if they DID: How much does that change the basic geometry of how we have to approach the QB position this season AND going into next? Not to mention Will's position with respect to the offense upon his return? I'm asking; I don't have a ready answer--just a bunch more questions that depend on what happens rest of this season, and recruiting, and on and on. Too much to get into here and now.)

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Missed start of game (working)...Got a chance to peek in here, and we got the lead after a punt-muff, subsequent take it in, I understand?
All I saw is Harris ALMOST getting the first down, then the punt. Fast qrtr.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Took the crowd out of it, anyway. Powell (kicker) hurt? Hardin back then...we are shaky kicking game, no matter what. Fournette running free--FUMBLE??? Naw

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Taking their time, good sign...but that official quick called it, and we weren't gonna get that one

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
Fournette is going to get his yards. Florida needs to slow him down, because they cannot stop him.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Damnit. That was too easy--bad part was passes made it easy. (This is weird, seeing just bits n pieces and replays while I work...speaking of which, better focus on that, get it done here. Hopefully we'll still be in this thing by time I finish up here, can give fill attention to 2nd half? But we gotta do better than that--Our special teams a real weakness so far this year. Oof. Where's the O line?

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I know I know we're so thin and young there...that and EVERYTHING about our kicking game/special teams are gonna kill us in a close game. Oh oh: THIS is a "close game", isn't it?

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
(Been listening to it on phone while I work. Looks/SOUNDS like not our night. We better tighten up FAST if we are gonna even be IN this game in the 2nd half...Fournette getting going now. We look sluggish on offense, on our heels on D, and special teams, well...only turnovers might save us here. Otherwise either slow death or fast. But "death" for Gators in "Death Valley" unless this changes PRONTO)

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
We HAVE to keep em outta yhe endzone here, and then keep the ball for awhile. Starting to look like last year's kinda game at this point.
Yeah, and Fournette is in gear now. I don't know, guys...I'm afraid they csn beat us from here kust handing it off, maybe throwong it now and then. TD Tigers on the throw. Yeah, our first loss is coming--only we need to hold our own now, not collapse...rest of season depends on it. I mean, THEIR "Harris" looks better than ours, so far--and meanwhile I'm not sure we can stop Fournette here much longer--if you wanna call this "stopping" him to start with. Just don't have enough O line here--and sorry, Harris on the run isn't near as sharp as Grier in pocket. We turn ball back to them here, we are just gonna get worn down. BIG sack tho...

miltongator

Gator Fan
It might help if we could get some pressure on their QB. We are losing this one in the trenches on both sides of the ball.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema