• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Game Day--Week 5: Uh oh.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I'm putting this up way early, partly out of timing convenience (I'm wide awake after seeing Foo Fighters at ACL Fest here in Austin last night) and also of course because after a roller coaster week that took us from "Wow!" to "Oh NO!", at this point we're pretty well back to where we were at pre-Tennessee, let's face it: We're probably gonna get creamed.
Anyone see it differently, at this point? Maybe a determined Treon has one of his inspired/inspiring games, subbing for a flu--weakened Will Grier? (Though this is also a damn shame, Grier getting sick now: A chance to really begin to assert his longterm leadership of this team goes by the boards, no matter what...Anyway, not just him--it's damn near half the team, at this point.)
Maybe the weather turns out the "great equalizer" after all, as can happen in otherwise seemingly lopsided SEC match-ups sometimes. (Though it looks like we might be too far SOUTH to be radically affected by Hurricane Joaquin, ironically enough.)
I'm not counting on ANY of it, these and at least half a dozen other rationales/frail hopes I've heard: With media-types suddenly talking about a "surprising Florida team" and "Mac has 'em taking care of business", "seemingly arriving ahead-of-schedule", "doing it with mirrors', and so on, only that last one has any resonance with me at this point--and the mirror's bout to be shattered. Least that's what I'm trying to prepare myself for.
Damnit--I was all READY for that, at least I THOUGHT so 'til a buncha crazy things lined up our way, or seemed to starting with bout 6 min left in LAST week's game.
OK OK Ol' Miss coaches ain't gonna lay down for us the way Butch and his Vols did, but I started thinking the weather might accomplish much the same thing for a whole game that no cojones did there in the 4th qrtr last Sat. Taylor, turn overs, Will Grier playing like it's 4th down in the 4th qrtr--who knows?
But who am I kidding? Myself, even now: No matter how I try and prepare, this one's probably gonna hurt.
I welcome your thoughts to the contrary, hope to heaven I'm wrong (I can't ever escape the " Wouldn't it be great if--" factor, after all), but as the line goes, "Hope is a dangerous thing..."

miltongator

Gator Fan
I have some visitors coming over today who have no interest in football (how is that possible?). So, perhaps they'll keep me busy enough that I won't go all crazy and maintain some decorum while we get the dose of reality that seems to be awaiting the "not mighty yet" Gators. We've been flirting with the wheels coming off in the last 3 games and I think perhaps Lady Luck might just be overburdened this week. Hey, we knew, deep down, that this should be a throw away year. But the Gators have been doing what they always do.....Giving me that little ray of hope......and then.......
Maybe I'll just set the VCR and spare myself the consternation. Nah, I have to be there at least long enough for the wife and I to sway to and sing "We Are The Boys"

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
@miltongator,
Well said.
Guess we're all feeling the same way--like it's time we "face up", reawaken to what we all THOUGHT we'd have HAD to face before now...Anyway, there's already been more of that "Can't HELP ourselves"-Gator-tease than even I came into the season thinking I was prepared for. Suppose, all in all, that's a GOOD thing, given time, canny recruiting, and this coach. He and his staff are walking a tightrope over a minefield, and so far seem to have the balances between work and fun, intellect and intuition, DOWN. We are "not mighty yet", clearly you're right--but there are signs, subtle and overt, that we are finally back on the right track.
None of that is likely to help us tonight, given the short term obstacles. Just don't see us being talented enough, deep enough, healthy enough, or (even after last week) downright LUCKY enough--as in GAME-long--to get it done this time.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
PS. Given everything, I HATE it when the media-fools start PICKING us in a game like this.
DON'T DO US ANY SUCH "FAVORS"!
(I mean, it's even dumber than enthroning the Buckeyes as "The Best College Team in the Nation", for example, based on actual performances thus far. Just use your eyes and your brains, folks! Or am I giving THEM too much benefit-of-the-doubt, assuming they have either?)

Leakfan12

VIP Member
Even one of the famous alums in Tim Tebow picked Ole Miss. Really Timmy? Really? Even his co-analyst and former teammate with the Jets McElroy picked his alma mater against Georgia.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
I understand that this is a building year and that most sports pundits outside the SEC had Florida finishing 6-6, while the SEC analysts had us at 7-5. I still have the Gators finishing at 7-5, which means #3 Ole Miss, "#28" Missouri, #9 LSU, #8 Georgia, and #11 FSU are all potential losses. Missouri is definitely winnable, so unless the Gators improve we should expect 4-5 losses coming up. I do think the 2015 Gators are better in week 5 going up against the #3 team in the nation than the 2014 Gators were going up against the #3 team in the nation in week 4. My recommendation for Gator fans is to watch this game as the first true indicator of where the Gators belong in rankings, and to hope for an exciting game. Only a fool would demand a win against the #3 team in a rebuilding year.

Escambia94

I will say that homers and unbiased analysts alike do give Florida a chance as long as the Gator defense cleans up its tackling. We know the Gators will primarily be in dime formation, with some nickel if the Rebels try running. As long as the DBs do not get burned too often, the Gators have a chance.

Escambia94

I just realized something: the last time Gator DC Geoff Collins faced this Ole Miss offense, the Rebels thrashed him for over 500 yards in a 31-17 loss. As long as the Gators do not get stuck in man-to-man with 7/8 man fronts, the Gators will be fine. I suspect that the Gators will be a dime defense and will only rush 3 or 4, but if the Rebels do run at Florida it may pull the Gators into the same defensive formation that Ole Miss (and Alabama) thrashed his defense for last year.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Even one of the famous alums in Tim Tebow picked Ole Miss. Really Timmy? Really? Even his co-analyst and former teammate with the Jets McElroy picked his alma mater against Georgia.
I will say that homers and unbiased analysts alike do give Florida a chance as long as the Gator defense cleans up its tackling. We know the Gators will primarily be in dime formation, with some nickel if the Rebels try running. As long as the DBs do not get burned too often, the Gators have a chance.
I guess TT is getting serious about being an analyst--as opposed to just a "media personality", which is probably all that is expected of him coming in. If that's the case, well, I understand: The man just does what he has to, gets the job done, and always exceeds expectations. I don't think any of US doubts he is a GAtor, thru' and thru'. I'D be pickin' Ol' Miss too here, if it were my job.
Whatever "wild longshot" possibilities I might have entertained went by the boards with this flu-bug...I doubt even the chance of crazy weather will save us from a drubbing this week: main q now seems "How bad?"
As for the logical details regarding how the rest of the SEASON plays out, I guess I was hoping the growth of Will Grier and a sense of "team" growing around him, an offense beginning to become a real part of a winning formula at UF once more, well, this is looking more like a predictable set back now than at least the "step in the right direction" I (probably foolishly) began to hope (there's that word again) it might be after all.
Lotta blow outs out there today--maybe that's a warning AND reminder. The one exception, one that would surprise less (and please me oh so much MORE) is that Hoosier/Buckeye tilt. If we could even do something like it here for a half or more against the Rebels, I would at least TRY to be thankful, find some solace in.
Not my natural approach to ANY Gator loss, but E-'s points are well-taken--and this season we knew it coming IN.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
(Couple things jump out at me in the UGA/Tide game, btw: Tide more up'n'down, game to game than last couple/few years, looks like--and the Bulldogs under Richt are ALWAYS capable of suddenly coming apart in a big game (especially in-conference)...Unless Ol' Miss really ARE the world-beaters people say and they've so far imitated, there won't BE a juggernaut coming out of our Conference this year--but that leaves it wide open for someone, ANYONE, to get hot. An opportunity for a team "coming into its own"--but we're not there yet, and won't likely BE in that category for at least another season. Frankly, if that turns out to be the case, that we are still redefining ourselves and won't begin our true "return" until NEXT year, from my POV that would put us a full year ahead of where I THOUGHT we'd be before this season began. Much like E- compares last year's edition and this one, I can see we've come a ways--but we had SO far to come. Still do. We were really a mess--and so much is still precarious, our room-for-error so thin.)

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
(Forgot to mention: I'm at ACL Fest, just went off "for food" was what I told gf--and tuned this one in just in time to see us taking it in for the first score (!)...They are going NUTS in the Swamp, as the ball gets away from the Reb runner! Gator ball. Grier's playin' and everything's going our way right now. Strike quick, guys)
NUTS! WOULDA BEEN A TD ON THE SHORT PASS...But Taylor gets free inside on dive and they get a shirt 3rd down...1st down on throw to McGee...
And Taylor takes it CLOSE. Geez. We look GOOD. TD McGee!!! Great call! Great start!

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Oof. Kicker gives back a point that could haunt us. Wtf is with our kicking game this year???
We will need every one of em before THIS is over.
Grier is HOT, tho...

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
This is weird. Thrillingly weird, but weird nonetheless. We need to get more points while its going our way, obviously--give our D lots to work with, and narrow THEIR options as the game wears on. Yikes, I'm starting to lose my carefully-built preparation-to-get-beat, and its WAY too early for THAT. But tell my Gator HEART that!

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Taylor running well...line BLOCKING well. Now beauty catch by Robinson...

Escambia94

Florida looked great in the beginning, but Ole Miss defense is figuring out the Gator offense.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Grier needs to play a little desperate, I guess. OK, let's get outta the qrtr with the shutout lead. Who'da thunk it? Not me.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Well, even w our D on a good day, figure we'd need a coupla more turnaround plays to beat these guys, don't ya think? Take a deep breath, sit back. Drain Heine...oh, better go back for another ("Sorry, babe--HELLUVA line over there..." What was it SHE wanted again? Lol)

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I gotta go back...and now they're drivingdriving. D's GOTTA mame a play. No more bad, stupid penalties a at hey are blowing it now, giving up yardage no matter what they do. DAMNIT, Stiffen UP, boys. Force the fg, at least...
Here's the key play on 3rd down at our end of field--thought he'd pick it...but force the fg a bit of a small victory---WIDE RIGHT!!! AND THAT'S A BIG ONE.
(So we're "plus 2" in the pts-left-out-there game)

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Time for another big play now--they are crowding "the box". Go long--shoulda done it on the last play--they are DARING us...Aw, Robinson dropped it. Starting to do that about half the time now. Not the clutch receiver he seemed bout to become last season, sadly. Should a been a flag on the defender--but he should a made the catch in the 1st place.
Sigh. We are starting to lose the gift of control we were given early. And this team will get tired, come back to earth, after week of the flu...
Do not give up another long drive, guys. But they are starting to take over.
We need a break. Not just a sack, either--tho that helps. Now get the pick on the next pass play. Big 3td and 10...Sacked again! Now let's block it, or something from special teams. THATS how we get this done, if its gonna happen. (Though I DO wanna say, these Gators came out READY, riding the crowd-frenzy...Swamp advantage back?)

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema