• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Game day: Florida vs. New Mexico State

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Pretty pleased, just got done watching the game, had to work tonight due to a job transfer. Missed chatting with you guys. I know it was new Mexico state but still I sae progression, and that was the main thing I wanted to see.
That pretty well sums up how we ALL feel, how we saw the night's results, I'd say.
Next week's game against the Pirates sets up as more of a "real or illusion?" situation now: If we're right about what we THINK we saw out there in Game 1, we should handle them maybe not quite as lopsidedely, but pull away in the 2nd half. I think we could have an offense that does that against teams it "SHOULD" do that to--and THAT has been missing for too long.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
Now that I finally have a day off, I can jump into the conversation. I watched the replay of the game. I can see why Coach Mac had trouble naming a starting quarterback. Both of these guys are good. I was assumed Taylor would break 100 yards against this defense, but he did average 8 yards per carry and he had a nice catch and run. Overall, I am optimistic that the Gators will be fun to watch again.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Pretty pleased, just got done watching the game, had to work tonight due to a job transfer. Missed chatting with you guys. I know it was new Mexico state but still I sae progression, and that was the main thing I wanted to see.
Yeah, aweb, if you scan the game day comments you can see the flow of exactly what you're talkin' bout: excitement-in-spite-of-ourselves going in, careful, building satisfaction in the first half, actual RELAXED (if qualified) CONFIDENCE at the break--and lo-and-behold, "I forgot what this feels like"-satisfaction by the 4th quarter. As you note, we more or less hit every "mark", did the things on offense and generally showed all we could hope to see in the opening game of "The Mac Era", never forgetting of course that it WAS against "those other Aggies" from the SWAC. Still, it was also against a decently-coached group of young men out to win, you can only play the scheduled teams week-by-week no matter what, and now (having done everything asked of them and gotten an idea of where they are and the work still to be done), we move on to play a team that sees us as STILL a big-time opponent, the kind of program they'd like to get back to knocking off with some regularity--as they used to do a coupla times a year, it seemed, before a bit of a down year LAST season or so...something WE know way too much abou ourselves, right? So I expect the Pirates to be hyped up for this one Saturday, and we should look at it as a real test of what we THINK we began to see this past Saturday in the opener: The D is within striking distance of still being formidable, and of course we may have a "powerful, high flyin' Gator Offense" in process of re-emerging, finally. Sure, WAY early yet, but we showed all you'd hope they could in game #1, and now #2 looks to be bout as much as we'd need or want as a well-timed, "proper test" at this point. I don't expect quite the same kind of lopsided late run-away against E Carolina like we just saw in the Swamp-opener (but it WAS ELECTRIC there, didn't it look like fun?) but I DO look forward to a game we can, if we are ready and stay composed, weather what I expect will be an "early onslaught" and even some aggressive trickery from them, I can see us steadily asserting dominance and eventually pulling away for a strong win. This is still a Gator team with a D that can hold us in ANY game--and OK, it's early yet, but we ALL saw the first signs of an offense that can, I believe WILL more and more "score in bunches". Here's hopin'-- and I don't even think I'll need to "cross my fingers" so much anymore when I make such statements! THAT'S how far we may have come already.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Now that I finally have a day off, I can jump into the conversation. I watched the replay of the game. I can see why Coach Mac had trouble naming a starting quarterback. Both of these guys are good. I was assumed Taylor would break 100 yards against this defense, but he did average 8 yards per carry and he had a nice catch and run. Overall, I am optimistic that the Gators will be fun to watch again.
Well summed up, as usual E--. Never mind the various arguments regarding "scheduling quality outside-opponents in thd Playoff Era when you already play in the SEC", btw...At least this year, as I look ahead and consider, I am pretty satisfied with the way things set up, the timing and pace of this team's prospective introduction to (presumably) stronger and stronger teams, each with more and more of some vested interest in beating us a in a particular.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema