• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Florida QB Treon Harris gets the start, but Grier will play too

News Bot

News Bot
Florida used to be known for playing multiple quarterbacks, and it helped Steve Spurrier take the Gators to an elite status and helped Urban Meyer win his first national championship. New Gators coach Jim McElwain may not have that kind of quarterback pool to swim in down in Gainesville, but he will continue this Florida…
b.gif

Source: CollegeFootballTalk.com

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Well, as we came to see first hand with Spurrier, a first-rate offensive mind with a coupla at least competent-if-still-learning-and-growing QBs can get you CLOSE--but either one of 'em blossoms into "somethin' special", you go out and GET "somethin' special", or "close" is the furthest you get until one of the above DOES get done.
However, right now "CLOSE" would be encouraging, a step up to say the least--so right now I say, "Go for it, Mac!"--with the frank and quiet hope that maybe Grier grows quickly into the guy his dominant prep career promised (yeah, "promised", but we know all too well how infrequently that turns out to be a solid predictor of bigtime college success). We know Treon's got all kinds of flashy-if-uneven, unpredictable upside--I'm just not real sure there's enough in the way of high-standard consistency there for a solid, season-long run, even WITH all the tools in place (which of course we sure as hell DON'T seem to have, not yet anyway).
So, all-in-all, put it together, and you can see where our Coach is coming from here: "Two-Headed Monster", at least to start the season...then we'll see. What's interesting is, there seems no reason our D won't still be high-level, and though we've got some of our biggest Q's on the O-line, we've also got a couple fast, powerful and shifty RBs in our backfield (Taylor especially may be bout ready to break OUT)...if Mac can do anything AT ALL with the QBs and WRs, things will be entertaining, maybe even get "interesting" as the season goes on...Do it with any consistency, and maybe we can shock-the-(football)world this season after all...
First they'll have to "shock" US, tho', right? I mean, we've been worn down pretty good last couple of frustrating, toothless seasons. The most optimistic words I've heard or read coming out of ANY corner of Gator Nation this summer have been things like "improvement on offense" and "maybe a surprise here and there as the season wears on"...NOT exactly stirring excitement we are long used to feeling as August turns to September...

miltongator

Gator Fan
Well, as we came to see first hand with Spurrier, a first-rate offensive mind with a coupla at least competent-if-still-learning-and-growing QBs can get you CLOSE--but either one of 'em blossoms into "somethin' special", you go out and GET "somethin' special", or "close" is the furthest you get until one of the above DOES get done.
However, right now "CLOSE" would be encouraging, a step up to say the least--so right now I say, "Go for it, Mac!"--with the frank and quiet hope that maybe Grier grows quickly into the guy his dominant prep career promised (yeah, "promised", but we know all too well how infrequently that turns out to be a solid predictor of bigtime college success). We know Treon's got all kinds of flashy-if-uneven, unpredictable upside--I'm just not real sure there's enough in the way of high-standard consistency there for a solid, season-long run, even WITH all the tools in place (which of course we sure as hell DON'T seem to have, not yet anyway).
So, all-in-all, put it together, and you can see where our Coach is coming from here: "Two-Headed Monster", at least to start the season...then we'll see. What's interesting is, there seems no reason our D won't still be high-level, and though we've got some of our biggest Q's on the O-line, we've also got a couple fast, powerful and shifty RBs in our backfield (Taylor especially may be bout ready to break OUT)...if Mac can do anything AT ALL with the QBs and WRs, things will be entertaining, maybe even get "interesting" as the season goes on...Do it with any consistency, and maybe we can shock-the-(football)world this season after all...
First they'll have to "shock" US, tho', right? I mean, we've been worn down pretty good last couple of frustrating, toothless seasons. The most optimistic words I've heard or read coming out of ANY corner of Gator Nation this summer have been things like "improvement on offense" and "maybe a surprise here and there as the season wears on"...NOT exactly stirring excitement we are long used to feeling as August turns to September...

Right you are. I'm just looking for some offensive excitement similar to the days of yore. As for the QB deal, I'm thinking that with the O line problems, Coach Mac went with the greater mobility call. Danny Wuerffel did pretty well without much mobility, but he was tough as nails and had a better line. We'll see how it shakes out.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danny_Wuerffel

miltongator

Gator Fan
Finally gets a break.

PHILADELPHIA (AP) The Philadelphia Eagles have traded quarterback Matt Barkley to the Arizona Cardinals, clearing a roster spot for Tim Tebow.

AAdXVfc.img
© (AP Photo/Peter Morgan Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Tim Tebow (11) avoids a sack by New York Jets' Trevor Reilly (57) during the first half of a preseason NFL football game Thursday, Sept. 3, 2015 in East…
Arizona sent a conditional seventh-round draft pick to Philadelphia for Barkley. He'll provide depth behind Carson Palmer and Drew Stanton. Logan Thomas and rookie Phillip Sims were competing for the No. 3 job.

Tebow outplayed Barkley in the preseason and appears to have locked up the No. 3 job behind Sam Bradford and Mark Sanchez.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Finally gets a break.

PHILADELPHIA (AP) The Philadelphia Eagles have traded quarterback Matt Barkley to the Arizona Cardinals, clearing a roster spot for Tim Tebow.

AAdXVfc.img
© (AP Photo/Peter Morgan Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Tim Tebow (11) avoids a sack by New York Jets' Trevor Reilly (57) during the first half of a preseason NFL football game Thursday, Sept. 3, 2015 in East…
Arizona sent a conditional seventh-round draft pick to Philadelphia for Barkley. He'll provide depth behind Carson Palmer and Drew Stanton. Logan Thomas and rookie Phillip Sims were competing for the No. 3 job.

Tebow outplayed Barkley in the preseason and appears to have locked up the No. 3 job behind Sam Bradford and Mark Sanchez.
I just wanna see him get that "one fair shot"...You KNOW he'll have himself ready: The one time he got anything LIKE it (and wholly IN SPITE OF the anti-support of his own GM at the time, y'all know who and what I'm referring to here), he near single-handed carried an up-til-then floundering Broncos team to the playoffs--then shocked the much-favored Steelers with a one-throw win in overtime. You gotta be a Seminole, a Hurricane OR John Elway NOT to wanna see this natural-born hero and all around good guy out there leading an offense.

miltongator

Gator Fan
Now would be the time for Jacksonville to step up and bring him in. They could get him for next to nothing and he'd pack 'em in. How could they possibly lose $?

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Now would be the time for Jacksonville to step up and bring him in. They could get him for next to nothing and he'd pack 'em in. How could they possibly lose $?
I'm with you--but that org has missed the point on just about every "obvious smart move" they've consistently FAILED to pull the trigger on, especially when it comes to Gator-related moves, especially ESPECIALLY when it has had to do with TT. I don't know what their aversion is on this, but there must be SOME reason they repearedly avoid making a move that holds both cynically practical AND potentially successful-on-the-field promise. (Oh yeah: I guess it's possible you've simply got a powerful person who is stubborn and stupid running things...)

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I'm with you--but that org has missed the point on just about every "obvious smart move" they've consistently FAILED to pull the trigger on, especially when it comes to Gator-related moves, especially ESPECIALLY when it has had to do with TT. I don't know what their aversion is on this, but there must be SOME reason they repeatedly avoid making a move that holds both cynically practical AND potentially successful-on-the-field promise. (Oh yeah: I guess it's possible there is simply a powerful person who is stubborn AND stupid running things...)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema