1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Fellow GE members. Do we need site rules for rival fans?

Discussion in 'Comments, Questions & Suggestions' started by MahxFahn, Feb 16, 2009.

?

Should we create some new rules for rival fan behaviour on our Forum?

1. YEP

10 vote(s)
    58.8%
  2. NOPE

7 vote(s)
    41.2%
  1. MahxFahn

MahxFahn Gator Fan

Usually I'm among the last group to want more restrictions. Recently some rival fans have waded into our midst and raised our hackles, which all along may have been their goal. I think that maybe we can formulate some rules that primarily address behaviour of rival fans that join our forum. The first rule I personally would want implemented would be one that would curtail disparaging any Gator,( player, coach or fan).
    Any other suggestions? (This is serious (LBG):D)
    Any other thoughts, am I wrong about this?
    Yes or No? vote above.

2. O-town Gator

O-town Gator Gator Fan

You have a good point - this is a GATOR fan site first and foremost.

When I visited the Sooner site before the National Championship game, they made it clear that any Gator fan who was over there to troll or just mix it up would be banned; when you think about it, that should be the rule for anyone's team fan site. It's about protecting one's home base and territory; it's also a 'safe haven" to discuss news and topics pertaining to one's team amongst fellow fans.

On the other hand, it's a matter of somebody showing respect when wandering into a rival's territory; basically a rival is a guest - and therefore can be asked to leave if he/she misbehaves or refuses to follow the rules.

Personally, I wouldn't join or post on a rival's site of a team I hated or just plain couldn't stand. Unfortunately others don't think along those same lines.

3. leakbrewergator

leakbrewergator Awesomeness

Mahx, are you implying that I can't be serious? :shifty:

I kind of like when the rival fans come in here to stir up the pot. Especially now that there is nothing they can really say thanks to the recent Gator dominance.

O-Town's right about having some sort of a disclaimer just to let them know that they will face banishment if they act up.

I have a question though. If we pass the rule about not disparaging Gators, does that include Kyle Jackson? I don't think I could live without bashing that guy...

4. MahxFahn

MahxFahn Gator Fan

Oh, don't get me wrong. I enjoy the banter. It's usually entertaining. I agree w/ the idea of providing a disclaimer for rival F's as a guidline as to how caustic they can be before they get a boot.
    LBG, do you mean the Kyle Jackson that got 8 or 9 tackles against the dawgs a couple three seasons ago?

5. O-town Gator

O-town Gator Gator Fan

We have a few good rival fans who come and want to talk - I have no problem with that - but it's the ones who troll, or come here under the guise of wanting to just "talk" and are indeed up to no good who are the problem.

It's a matter of showing RESPECT. We wouldn't go into somebody else's "house" and trash it on purpose, and in return it's only fair to expect the same courtesy back from our rival "guests".

Here is a message to rival fans on another board I post on for my NFL team:

"While we love rival talk, if you come here to simple state your team or players are better than yours without clearly stating why, is baiting.

Please feel free to discuss the game and comparisons, please make them factful. Opinions lead to arguments, and we DO NOT TOLERATE ANY PERSONAL ATTACKS!

So come talk up the game, but any statement which can't be proven will be considered as trolling and will be dealt with!"

Basically it's a warning to the trash-talkers; in our case it could be applied to the flamers, the ones who come here to bash our players and coaches, and to the "gay" smack talk that we know all too well coming from some of our rivals.

6. GatorGuy8

GatorGuy8 VIP Member

Unless they are 'breaking the rules' or doing something so bad that it warrants their posts be deleted or moved, I don't see any problem with rivals fans who like to stir up a little trouble (at least if it's stuff like 'Tennessee is going to destroy Florida' type of trouble).

7. Mr2Bits

Mr2Bits Gator Fan

I have always promoted this forum as a "mature Gator sports discussion site"

With that side, I've also always welcomed rival fans, and we've had some very good rival posted in the past.. including carolinathru&thru and his South Carolina friends.

I don't feel that we need a new list of site rules specifically for rival fans. They can adhere to the site rules that all of us follow. The moderators and posters here are smart enough to know when enough is enough. I've had several people use the "report post" icon to alert me of when someone is getting out of hand.

The important thing to encourage and be aware of, is that this is supposed to be a mature site. That's one of the reasons why we don't allow a lot of cussing and personal attacks.

I agree with what GatorGuy8 said.

If someone is saying "Tennessee is going to kill Florida this weekend. You're Quarterback can't play for crap" ... that is OK in my book. It stirs up debate.

If someone is saying "Tennessee is going to F*CK you Up. Tim Tebow licks balls and kisses men." ... then now that is not OK and warrants a warning as a first time offense, or temporary ban for a second time offense.

One way we can talk about fixing this problem come football season is to open up a "ANYTHING GOES" Rival/Gator subforum ... where people can just talk as much smack/curse as much/belittle as much as they want with no penalties. But it must be kept in the subforum.

8. O-town Gator

O-town Gator Gator Fan

I like the idea of a Smack Forum; there all of that stuff can be kept in one place and off the main forums. Also, rival fans have a place they can go to talk all they want about their teams.

9. leakbrewergator

leakbrewergator Awesomeness

Smack forum sounds good to me!

10. MahxFahn

MahxFahn Gator Fan

Well, you got my vote Mr2Bits on all your points.
    I'm looking forward to it, my guess is that it will be a very popular sub-forum.:D

11. Mr2Bits

Mr2Bits Gator Fan

Awesome. I'll try to get it up this weekend.

12. CaliZona_Gator

CaliZona_Gator Super Senior Member

I'd be okay with a trash talking subsection as long as the updates don't show up when i i hit the 'New Posts' link, because when i hit that i dont want it littered with a whole bunch of threads from the trash talking subsection

13. castawaygator

castawaygator VIP Member

i would give a little more leeway for trash talking about the game, and even dont mind a little personal attacking from rivals. may be i just have thick skin and dont mind it as much, obviously it could be easy to call a USC fan a cock instead of gamecock. although i do mind rivals continuing ridiculous rumors without proof. ie UM going to ND as his dream job. this should not be allowed with out giving a link in support of your view.

this would certainly solve all the problems, but since your looking for a mature forum, this would be the dark alley where you know what is going on here but disregard the noise. the only problem i have with this idea is that i foresee too many people both gator fans and rivals carrying the same tone into the other subgroups which would change everything for the forum.

14. O-town Gator

O-town Gator Gator Fan

I'm so sick and tired of hearing that crap that I'll gladly call anybody out who starts it up. Some Gator fans need to back up what they say as well - especially some of those nincompoops over at GC who keep carrying on with this stuff and are always looking for smoke where there's no fire.

Based on what Dr. Machen and Jeremy Foley have said recently, Meyer seems to have found a home in Gainesville.

Rivals, especially UcheaT fans, and others know they can piss us off by starting that crap, especially when they need something lame to throw at us when they can't seem to win an argument - it's either that or that juvenile gay smack.

15. AK Gator

AK Gator Gator Fan

Out of curiosity, what did you guys end up doing about this during the last season?

16. O-town Gator

O-town Gator Gator Fan

We've had some rival fans who've come to talk sports and not stir the pot, but on the other hand we've had those who've just come to talk smack or troll, and we've dealt with them.

17. AK Gator

AK Gator Gator Fan

I'm glad to hear that it has stayed within reason. Rivalry is the 2nd best part of college sports, with the best being the camaraderie between your fellow fans. I'm really looking forward to seeing what Gator Envy is like during the football season. I've been able to come in here and post quite a bit during what I'm assuming to be the peak of the off season lull, so I expect big things once the season brings all of the hibernating posters back to the boards en masse.

18. Swampus

Swampus Gator Fan

I think y'all need as few impediments to users as possible.