• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Emmitt Smith: Urban Meyer belongs in the Gator Ring of Honor

When should Urban Meyer get into the Gator Ring of Honor?

• 2019. 35th anniversary of the 1984 NYT/ Sagarin/ UPI National Champions

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2020. 35th anniversary of the 1985 Sagarin National Champions

• 2021. 25th anniversary of the 1996 Bowl Alliance National Champions & 15th anniversary of the 2006 B

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • 2024. 5 years after retiring from coaching

• Never

• Total voters

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
Florida Gator and Escambia Gator legend Emmitt Smith is in Orlando coaching his team for the Pro Bowl. In one interview he provided his support for putting Urban Meyer on the Gator Ring of Honor [1].

A year ago I posted the following:

If I were king, these would be the media campaigns with appropriate Homecoming themes:
  • 2018 - 10th anniversary of the 2008 BCS National Champions
  • 2019 - 35th anniversary of the 1984 NYT/ Sagarin/ UPI National Champions
  • 2020 - 35th anniversary of the 1985 Sagarin National Champions
  • 2021 - 25th anniversary of the 1996 Bowl Alliance National Champions and 15th anniversary of the 2006 BCS National Champions

Perhaps now is the time to forgive Urban Meyer and put him in the Ring of Honor. I would make this a big marketing campaign and draw some attention to the Gator football program.

Leakfan12

VIP Member
I'll say this, Emmitt Smith's word carries a lot of in UF and so does Tim Tebow who more than likely would support Meyer. Personally, I don't think I'm ready to forget quite yet if ever. Probably two years in 2021 if the 15th anniversary of the 2006 team that Meyer to the Ring of Honor will get talked about maybe even get there.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
I'll say this, Emmitt Smith's word carries a lot of in UF and so does Tim Tebow who more than likely would support Meyer. Personally, I don't think I'm ready to forget quite yet if ever. Probably two years in 2021 if the 15th anniversary of the 2006 team that Meyer to the Ring of Honor will get talked about maybe even get there.

It took me some time to forgive, but then again I have zero sweat equity in this situation. Emmitt Smith and Steve Spurrier are both supporters of Urban Meyer, and both have sweat equity as well as their names on the Ring of Honor.

If Urban really is done coaching, then I am fine with his name going up on the Ring. I can only assume that when his time comes that the right person will interview him and get some answers out of him and those answers will provide some closure to the bitter feelings that the fans have.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
It took me some time to forgive, but then again I have zero sweat equity in this situation. Emmitt Smith and Steve Spurrier are both supporters of Urban Meyer, and both have sweat equity as well as their names on the Ring of Honor.

If Urban really is done coaching, then I am fine with his name going up on the Ring. I can only assume that when his time comes that the right person will interview him and get some answers out of him and those answers will provide some closure to the bitter feelings that the fans have.
You caught the "Big IF" with that condition regarding IF he is really "retired", E-.
And we can't be sure of that--which attaches to the point here: Whole PROBLEM with Urban and Gator fans is the matter of "trust": OUR relationship with him is NOT a "close, personal" one. WE can only go by the discrepency between words and deeds--and THAT story is a difficult one, littered with lies and betrayal.
For that very reason, I voted "Never" for the time being (inherently hedging, admittedly): I expect I'll eventually cave on this question over time, especially with Emmitt and Tim in his corner...but ONLY if/when this "retirement" holds, and doesn't instead turn out to be "the latest image-washing ploy" from a man who uses and manipulates the trust and affection of those who care about him to continually maneuver on behalf of a hidden personal agenda. I won't plunge into the examples and details I refer to here now--but they are shameful, clear and many. So what say we wait'n'see?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema