• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Early Signing Period 2017

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
I put together information on this recruiting class at this link:
http://www.gatorenvy.com/threads/florida-gators-2018-recruiting-class.19535/

The big questions for this Gator coaching staff through the transition:
  1. Can Dan Mullen restore Florida's prominence on the recruiting trail?
  2. How well does this new coaching staff recruit?
  3. Can Mullen and his new coaches compete well against the rest of the country for Sunshine State talent?
So far the recruiting class ranking has dropped from #8 to #36 For comparison, FSU's class has dropped to #48, with 7 de-commitments in one day and a few more in the weeks following. Interestingly enough, most of Florida's recruits started to de-commit not after the firing of Jim McElwain, but the release of Randy Shannon and Corey Bell, and the de-commitments seemed to come in batches. Ja'juan Seider and Tim Skipper remain from the old coaching staff and seem to be the ones holding together the recruits that also fit the spread option offense and the 3-4 defense.

Dan Mullen probably will not haul in a top 20 class this year. It appears that he is focusing on the players that fit his team vision, rather than grabbing players for star rating. What we should watch for this year are Mullen's tendencies and signs that he will haul in a top 10 class next year.

Last edited:

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I just posted a comment over on the "Dan Mullen brings..." thread that in truth belongs here--noting the risks and turmoil naturally involved with our current situation and ongoing moves on the recruiting trail, in particular detailing our travails at QB...
I extoll the possible payoffs in basically hoping in the end to ultimately "trade up" from Coral to Jones at that position...
Don't get me wrong: Though I do hope that this is the end result, it will NOT be an insurmountable tragedy if it doesn't turn out. Mullen will adapt his offense to those he has at hand (it is his way), and continue to search and build. Key as the RIGHT QB is to his preferred direction, and great as it would be to have that piece possibly filled so soon in the process, but if not he will see to it we meanwhile "make do"--and only means the search goes on and presumably another, possibly even more fortuitous choice will eventually be ours. We will have to be patient and hopeful regardless, with or without this particular "piece". As E- says, our "ranking" in recruiting this year is of no more weight than our win/loss record became as the past season wore on: As that diminishment DID eventually somehow culminate with losing a coach we NEEDED to lose and gaining the one we had to have, so we must hope (as I do) that what we see in the direction and QUALITY of this class, rather than its ranking, is what we must judge--and find hope in.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Oh--and btw: No matter what "the experts" say about it now ("early signing" is new to them too), let us hold ANY judgement to NSD at least--and even then, our new Head Coach's proven strength in recognizing underrated raw talent and helping them make the most of it will I believe eventually help us "arrive early", even WITHOUT a string of 5-stars yet flocking to our banner. THAT will come too, eventually, I think, as a result.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
We got Emory Jones away from Ohio State, SUCK IT MEYER
Yeah! I have the status updates in the recruiting thread.
Yup--and of course this is BIG over the mid-to-longterm future of what Mullen and Co. are gonna be aiming for next few seasons. I have a feeling Jones is at least a season plus-a-bit-more away from coming into his own, ideally: The first learning/filling out/conditioning as a redshirt, and a 2nd if possible as a (redshirt-)freshman back-up coming in more and more where possible (hopefully in 2nd half blowouts--remember those?!!), a luxury we'd have if Dan can pry odd-man out/potential Junior transfer Burrows from Ohio State. Though originally a "prized QB recruit" by Meyer a coupla years back, Burrows has, for a number of reasons having little to do with talent or potential, fallen to number 3 on their depth chart, with time beginning to run short from his future-pro-prospect P.O.V. he looks to be a relatively experienced near-perfect fit in the kind of system Mullen will be looking to field soon as possible over the next coupla seasons (same reasons MEYER grabbed him: Big, strong, mobile with arm and leadership) while he builds his team and gets Jones READY (and by that I mean essentially raising his skill set and game-ready intelligence from 4-star to the equivalent of 5-star ranking talent and potential, which will be our Coach's aim--and proven ability to DO). For Burrows, that could mean a season or two starring at UF (while helping mentor Jones) that may well suit EACH player AND us perfectly.
We gotta BUNCHA top-rate safeties (4?) and some high-potential guys elsewhere--but none of the prized O-linemen types we'll need to add to get to where we need to be. Not yet anyway. Doubt our Coach and staff are anything LIKE "finished" yet, though.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
11 of13 commitments signed on early signing period, day 1 of 3. Gouraige and Gammage remain committed, but unsigned. The Gators picked up two signees who were not committed before this day.

The Gators still need offensive linemen and linebackers. The following prospects are still on the board uncommitted, but interested in Florida:
  • OL Nicholas Petit-Frere 6-6 272 of Berkely Prep School, Tampa, Florida 5*
  • OL William Barnes 6-4 312 of Apopka High School, Apopka, Florida 4*
  • WR Jacob Copeland 6-0 192 of the Fightin' Gators of Escambia High School, Pensacola, Florida 4*
  • DL Noah Jefferson 6-6 330 of Arizona Western College via Desert Oasis High School, Las Vegas, Nevada 3* JUCO transfer
There are others, but these are the ones most likely to commit to Florida in February.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema