• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Donovan has no regrets, empathizes with Izzo

O-town Gator

Gator Fan
"Returning to Orlando, FL, for a press conference would not have been a big deal for Florida Gators head basketball coach Billy Donovan…if his last media event in the city was anything other than him accepting the top job with the Orlando Magic three years ago after winning back-to-back National Championships.

Ironically, the Gators will play the Central Florida Knights on Dec. 1 in the Florida Citrus Sports Shootout – the first college basketball game in the brand new Amway Center (the future home of the Magic). And if he had not decided to return to Florida merely days after accepting the Orlando job, Donovan very well may have been coaching the Magic at the new arena – rather than the Gators.

“I’d be lying to you if I said I didn’t replay the decision in my mind a few times,” Donovan said Thursday, according to the Orlando Sentinel."

(My two cents: Seems the Slantinel loves to call Coach Meyer a "job flip-flopper" - how come they don't treat Billy Donovan in the same childish manner?)

Read more: http://www.onlygators.com/06/18/2010/donovan-has-no-regrets-empathizes-with-izzo/#ixzz0rDu6ill4

AK Gator

Gator Fan
While I will admit that the Urban Meyer's resignation to leave of absence decision wasn't the smoothest move he has ever made, I've never understood the amount of flack he has taken for it. It was a hugely emotional time for him coupled with a sudden, frightening health issue resurfacing. Give him some slack already. I think the Sentinel should just let it go already and move on with their coverage of Gator Football.

As for Coach Donovan I'm sure the process wasn't easy for him at all. He was riding as high as I imagine he ever had and was courted by the hometown team offering him the reins, which is a pretty sweet deal. Again, the move wasn't handled with the most tact, but I think that the emphasis should be on a person acknowledging a mistake early and not letting it snowball into something worse like him leaving mid season or just not having his heart behind his efforts in Orlando. Having UF lock him up once he came back is probably for the best regardless. It will let him continue to rebuild this program back up and will likely only help his legacy.

O-town Gator

Gator Fan
While I will admit that the Urban Meyer's resignation to leave of absence decision wasn't the smoothest move he has ever made, I've never understood the amount of flack he has taken for it. It was a hugely emotional time for him coupled with a sudden, frightening health issue resurfacing. Give him some slack already. I think the Sentinel should just let it go already and move on with their coverage of Gator Football.

Agreed, but their biggest problem is that they can't seem to stop keeping the pot stirred or get off his back about it (especially Jeremy Fowler). Just today Mike Bianchi prints something totally asinine just for the sake of attracting readers.

As for Coach Donovan I'm sure the process wasn't easy for him at all. He was riding as high as I imagine he ever had and was courted by the hometown team offering him the reins, which is a pretty sweet deal. Again, the move wasn't handled with the most tact, but I think that the emphasis should be on a person acknowledging a mistake early and not letting it snowball into something worse like him leaving mid season or just not having his heart behind his efforts in Orlando. Having UF lock him up once he came back is probably for the best regardless. It will let him continue to rebuild this program back up and will likely only help his legacy.

I'll also never slight Billy - or Coach Meyer - for following their hearts and choosing to remain with UF. Just as in pro football, there's no guarantee of success for a college basketball coach making the jump to the pros; as successful as John Calipari has been with Memphis and now Kentucky, he didn't enjoy the same in the NBA. Had the same thing happened to Billy Donovan should he have signed the contract with the Magic, IMO he would have come to regret the mistake he made.

AK Gator

Gator Fan
Yeah, I just don't see Donovan on an NBA court making things happen. I love having him at UF and I think in the long run he'll continue to appreciate the choice that he made to return to the Gators.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema