• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Dashboard Cam vs Rearview Mirror

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Simply put, we'd LIKE to just focus forward, but the media, fans of both teams and history itself conspire to keep us glancing back.
Yeah, this has long been a "rivalry game" for MANY reasons--on top of which there's ANOTHER "streak": I think we've beaten the Vols something like 16 out of the last 17 times we've met--always this 3rd week of September, often to open up both teams' SEC play (tho' not this year), for many years the inside track to end-of-season leadership in the once dominant SEC East--early meaningful game, always crazy close, often decided at the very end, the outcome with Conference and therefore NATIONAL implications.
There are those in the media now drumming up additional drama with the idea that one or another team, another new Coach, "needs it more"...For example here, that in this one OUR team, program AND "new Coach" needs the win here more "after ONE BIG STREAK was broken..." a coupla weeks back.
Now frankly, with everything else happening and the concerns he has about his own squad, how it learns and progresses week-to-week, I figure the LAST thing Coach Mullens is thinking about, or wants his PLAYERS considering on any level, ANY way, shape or FORM, is some artificial connection with the performance and/or outcomes of other games, by squads under other Coaches, in the past.
He knows and understands though that there is no escaping such concerns being raised, run into the GROUND by lazy TV "reporters" casting about for a "handle", some ear-catching issue they can fill broadcast time and space with. And OUR coach can't worry about or focus on this particular irrelevancy--and he has no control over whether the opposing Coach grabs onto it as a motivation tool (one of uncertain value, by the way: His guys of course are aware of it, but exploiting it emotionally could cut either way).
Mullens is AIMING for a consistently poised and balanced approach, steady growth and progress each week hopefully finding his squad ready and approaching peak potential, composure and rhythm on gameday--"...Never MIND what happened to other squads on other days in other years!". More and more it's other guys on BOTH sides, new systems and for SURE (as much as the new staffs can manage) new attitudes.
'Course, the FANS think, talk about it, the "coverage" (TV, radio and internet) just won't let go, so the players are aware of it too--so how the Coaches realistically HANDLE it may or may NOT be a factor. I like OUR guy's shrugging, low key, turn-the-page approach this week: "It's a new day, new season, always a big rivalry game--we just gotta get better, go out and play our game."
The players all manage to DO that, continue to more fully gel as squads, even as individuals more fully develop and improve, the Coaches install an effective gameplan and are able to see offense, defense and special teams able to execute it with any kind of efficiency, and we'll more and more see this Gator team not only take this one, but compete effectively in EVERY game, even the ones ahead that currently appear "difficult at BEST".
That's who we are GOING to be, eventually, under Coach Mullens and staff: We aren't there yet (he doesn't have near enough of "his kind of players" at enough positions across-the-board yet, for one thing), but it is where we're heading, and in the meantime he and his people EXPECT the players at hand to take their attitude and required approach, work hard to master and APPLY it all, in practice during the week and in FACT at gametime.
The rest is superfluous. I hear Mullens is at times INTENSE at practices, especially when he is teaching--introducing and installing a new set of plays, for example, or focusing on changing, or at least sharpening UP some technique or approach he thinks is somehow LACKING...and that that "intensity" grows in urgency the later in the week he seems to percieve that lack. For eg, it is said that last week he yanked Franks during practice, sat him down, relegated him to the backup role for a while--explaining later to reporters' questions about it by saying, "Well, he was POUTING, for one thing..." and going on as to what that indicated to HIM, what it tells him as a Coach, as well as what it says to his team, that "...it's unacceptable...", and expanded on its implications, etc.
Interesting...But the main point here is that our Head Coach has a PLAN, a "big picture" view of what he wants and needs to see from his players as individuals at their positions and AS A TEAM--is installing a limited version of what is a "work in progress", building towards a COMPLETE PACKAGE that he too will have to be flexible about as to its "final form", depending ON who they in fact bring in the coming seasons, their particular skills and personalities and how all THAT must and will affect the exact form and nature of the eventual "product on the field": In this way, it will NEVER be "final", and even now we all must take the approach of, "This is who we are now; we do the best we can with who we ARE and what we've got, and do all we can to reach our peak potential each week NOW."

Leakfan12

VIP Member
I admit I'm afraid at least against UT for now. In Rocky Top with Franks who is inconsistent. Unsure if UT is better than Kentucky but guessing we will know Saturday.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
UT is not better than Kentucky. I ran the numbers in another post showing that Kentucky's offensive and defensive linemen were better than Florida's by almost a star per position. Tennessee has a couple studs on the defensive line that might cause a problem for Florida, but their offensive line is about as bad as Florida's, and their running backs are not quite as good.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I admit I'm afraid at least against UT for now. In Rocky Top with Franks who is inconsistent. Unsure if UT is better than Kentucky but guessing we will know Saturday.
I don't THINK UT is better than UK either--but we gotta be concerned about this game if only BECAUSE of Frank's inconsistency alone, as you note. I think we'll continue to "make progress", our Coach's main aim, focus and promise, for now--especially on defense: between injury and inexperience I am uncertain as to where we are at and how much "progress" is even possible right now, but stiffer D, better tackling and a sharper performance from the QB and I think we'll be ok. I like our Coach's attitude and general focus on the "opportunities" inherent in our going on the road, facing a loud crowd and rabid rival at THEIR place. "Turn a negative into a positive" can be an effective way to harness emotion and fuel a team's unity and shared, determined efforts.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
UT is not better than Kentucky. I ran the numbers in another post showing that Kentucky's offensive and defensive linemen were better than Florida's by almost a star per position. Tennessee has a couple studs on the defensive line that might cause a problem for Florida, but their offensive line is about as bad as Florida's, and their running backs are not quite as good.
Anytime the most "hopeful" part of your analysis is that "their offensive line is as bad as Florida's", it's likely a dangerous game for us indeed--and a dark reading of the state of our team and the whole SEASON left ahead.
I continue to TRY and approach these Saturdays in a week-by-week, game-by-game fashion, applying the public stance of our Coach regarding his conscious efforts to address in practice the flaws and breakdowns with honest self-appraisal and hardwork, all in turn affording chances to adapt and improve according to the experience each game offers.
Do you find ANY cause for hope at improvement in the potential of the inherent talent on this Gator squad as this approach, and the season itself, proceeds, E--? Can we improve enough, fast enough, our best achieve more and overall health improve at a pace that allows us to at the very least COMPETE well against the tougher competition against even better teams ahead? Or is the ONLY "positive" to look for and try to enjoy just the overall general improvement of parts and individuals, as the season goes on?

Escambia94

These are Muschamp's and McElwain's players, at least 50 of them are. Dan Mullen cannot make our 3-star, 280-pound linemen into 5-star, 315-pound linemen, so our offensive line and defensive line both get pushed around. Mullen did not recruit Franks or Trask at QB, so he has to make it work with one of them until Emory Jones bulks up for next year. Of the 9 players that were suspended for credit card fraud last year, 5 of them are back. The captain of the defensive line was suspended for skipping school. How is Dan Mullen supposed to turn these kids into a championship team? All we can hope for is that there is enough talent to eke out enough wins to be bowl eligible.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
These are Muschamp's and McElwain's players, at least 50 of them are. Dan Mullen cannot make our 3-star, 280-pound linemen into 5-star, 315-pound linemen, so our offensive line and defensive line both get pushed around. Mullen did not recruit Franks or Trask at QB, so he has to make it work with one of them until Emory Jones bulks up for next year. Of the 9 players that were suspended for credit card fraud last year, 5 of them are back. The captain of the defensive line was suspended for skipping school. How is Dan Mullen supposed to turn these kids into a championship team? All we can hope for is that there is enough talent to eke out enough wins to be bowl eligible.
Not that I "LIKE" it, but you do lay it out, lay it on the line: Clearly, in a no-denying-it, straight forward fashion. I feel like it should be printed on 3 x 5 cards dropped in their thousands over Ben Hill Griffen/Steve Spurrier at Homecoming! So here's my similar response:
Well, there it is, my fellow Gators. That's how it is, that is where we are and WHO we are right here, right now.
So as far as the season and what we can "enjoy accomplishing" from a game-to-game, "ultimate outcome" standpoint, we look for steady improvement, construction of some skeletal foundation and superstructure on which to add and build the future "juggernaut to come", and meanwhile "HOPE there is enough talent to eke out enough wins to be bowl eligible".
I believe you have boiled it down to it's stark essentials, brother. OK, fine. No use fooling ourselves anymore--following coaches who asked us to do THAT is what GOT us here. Makes most of the last, ooohhh, NINE years or so a kind of willful refusal to see what really was IN both "rearview mirror" AND "dashboard cam"!
THIS Coach doesn't do anything with "smoke and mirrors"; he looks at it all realistically, then puts the most positive spin he can on the time ahead and WORK required--for the sake of his players (the hand he was dealt) and creating the best chance he can for their development--and the future of our whole program.
So we root HARD for every little win we can get rest of the way, celebrate the grit, heart, strategy, tactics, and PROGRESS that gets them, and squeeze what we can out of whatever positives, and few WINS, come out of it all.
The same goes for whatever joy and satisfaction we can somehow "squeeze" out of this season, right?

Escambia94

That being said, how can we tell if we are getting our money's worth right now? What can we evaluation Dan Mullen on right now as indicators that his coaching staff is making a difference?
  • Penalties. Florida has reduced its penalties by about 20 to 30%. Florida is averaging fewer than 6 penalties and less than 50 yards a game, which is in the top 50 (#49) at the moment. Florida usually places around #90 to #100 in penalties. This is a sign of players having more discipline than in recent years.
  • Arrests. Knock on wood, but the Gators have not had any arrests this calendar year, other than Justin Watkins, who was kicked off the team only a month after enrolling for classes. Usually by this time of year there are a couple arrests. When the first major arrest occurs, I will be that it will be an older recruit, not one of Mullen's. He seems to have a good trip on locker room and classroom discipline.
  • Press conferences and fan interactions. Fans actually enjoy Mullen's press conferences. Fans and media actually feel connected to Dan Mullen. The media's only complaint is that Mullen is not as forthcoming with injury reports and depth charts. Previous coaches got rather adversarial with the media, and were not good with involving fans and media. Granted, Mullen does not want practice to become a media frenzy and a distraction, but he has opened up many more practices than his predecessors. He is winning over fans. He is winning over the boosters.
If I had one valid complaint against this coaching staff it would be the lack of emphasis on fundamental tackling.

I will be honest in saying that I drastically overestimated Mullen's impact on the team when I was making my preseason predictions and 10 wins. Now that I see that McElwain and Muschamp recruited very undisciplined, lazy players, I have tempered expectations to 6 or 7 wins.

Last edited:

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Yeah, I'd already noted your "retrenched expectations" for this squad--and now better understand the disparity between PREseason and now. That month made all the difference: GAMES turned out to be the "cold water" splashed in ALL our faces.
But I remind us all of what I take to be the coldest, hardest truth at the center of your bitter truth-pill above:
"Mullens can't make 3-star players into 5-star ones." And so on from there. The further truths subsequently noted, the kinds of guys filling out our roster, locker room poison and lazy "me-firsters" that year after year have dominated the ethos of these teams led by distracted, cynical COACHES limited by their own egos and selfish aims.
Personally, I have INCREASED confidence and hope in our future under Mullens, as I have continued to see the details of his attitude, approach and personality: In all the things you yourself outline above, I more and more believe he will change, is changing the "vibe", the whole feeling around and core values OF this team--what is assumed they owe themselves, each other, from the lockerroom to the field and beyond (the classroom, the world at large); that he will do, IS doing everything he and his staff can do to instill that in those who are here now (and stay--will elaborate on that elsewhere), even more go out and GET "his kind of guys".
Recruiting of COURSE will make the difference--but we have SEEN where ignoring things like "values", "quality" and "fit" can leave your program, in the long run...and so has Dan Mullens--up close and personal.
So patience, and clear-eyed recognition of what this staff is trying to accomplish, what still remains to be overcome and eventually put the right people in the best position to win--and KEEP winning--is what is now and for the next coupla years required of Gator FANS.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
(...Oh--and they damn well BETTER get "fundamentals of tackling" fixed PRONTO: NO excuses there. That's a glaring "coaching failure" that all can see--and a competent coaching staff can, MUST be able to improve upon...Hard to say (and feel confident about) all the nice things I'm saying about Mullens and his people if they can't get on top of that with quick and notable results...
And though you almost throw it out there as an aside, the "growth" (in every way) of Emory Jones, and his eventual installation at QB in Mullens' (hopefully by then) thoroughly revamped, rebuilt offensive squad will make a huge difference in what we will begin to see (and enjoy) on the field, and the scoreboard, in seasons ahead. Unless there is some sort of disaster (and SERIES of losses ahead of him) at the QB position in the course of this season, with the new more liberal rules he will retain his redshirt status after this season and still be a freshman NEXT year--ideally not HAVE to be "The GUY" until the season AFTER next, by then a bigger, somewhat-experienced Sophomore (and who knows? Along with a better, more complete supporting cast around him, perhaps another likewise freakishly talented young candidate to push him?).

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
One more point that goes here:
As for that "rearview mirror", though it IS probably time to look forward (albeit with a certain patient, realistic eye) rather than back, there's something worth noting once more...
Beginning with Meyer's realization of the growing consequences of what he'd sacrificed of the GATORS' future--and hence that whole weirdness of his drama-queen turn at the end--and proceeding thru the debacle of the next two coaching regimes, this "cupboard is bare" reality in retrospect was a steady and inevitable byproduct of ALL these men's limitations, as coaches and MEN.
Muschamp is the kind of guy who WOULD be more comfortable in a program with 3-star expectations to START with (ie. exactly where he is now), whereas McEllwaine I think never knew what HIT him when he suddenly found himself at Florida...He came for the money, first and foremost, and the "prestige" that to him seemed his "due": Even a sea of THREE-star kids must have seemed like a relative treasure trove after competing for sparse crumbs out in the hinterlands--I don't think he could properly JUDGE talent, depended entirely on his more locally experienced underlings to move in these circles, tovhave the history, insight and skills to go out and land 'em...not the most personable guy, either--and that "yankee-on-the-make" vibe around him not only doesn't play well in southern living rooms, but more and more turned out to be a thin veneer over what really was a frightened, fat little bunny of a man who lies like he breathes.
Note that EACH of these last two Coaches very quickly found jobs that more fit their true skill-levels--and neither has any complaints, for good REASON: They both CASHED IN upon "catch and release" as failed Gator Head Coaches. I begrudge this more in McEllwaine's case (I still feel we SHOULDN'T have paid that buy-out, should have stuck to firing him "for cause"--but I understand they just wanted to see his back, didn't want some legal/financial dispute lagging on into this season--and ultimatwly felt, "F-it--we can afford it...", which we can. But he's such a scumbag...and does ANYBODY feel he was EVER "a Gator"???)
Like with a LOT of things having to do with "modern reality" and what kind of standards are ultimately applied at UF, there is only Alabama and Saban to compare it all with now: That sort of attention-to-detail, and ultimate results AS a result, what more is there to say but "5-star expectations/5-star effort/ 5-star RESULTS"? MULLENS "gets" this coming IN (if you don't, DON'T take the job!!!"), understood it first hand from his time here, applied its general implications (at least tried his BEST to) at MSU (and did a job of "more with less" than anyone had, or even appeared to ever have any HOPE of doing there before) and got amazing results STILL being shown there, by the way...but instead of being satisfied with "exceeding diminished expectations" out there, he kept thinking about UF, and what he might do with the committment this program is ALWAYS willing to make to improving itself in every way--and of course what HE might be able to do with access to this talent pool, and not playimg NEAR the game of "Catch-Up" when he walked thru the door of ANY 5-star recruit's home.
Mullens accepts the challenge Saban poses, remembers overseeing great squads at UF that were integral parts of a PROGRAM that BEAT him regularly (I still say that "turning point" game, the 2009 SEC Championship where we more or less "surrendered", came apart in the 2nd half (despite #15's baffled, broken-hearted efforts to see his team raise its game as it "always" had, at least ever since post-MSU (interesting coincidense) and "The Promise" coupla years earlier--wasn't just Tebow's sad, unsatisfactory GATOR "swan-song", but thanks to Meyer and the by then building wave of darkness, bad moves and their consequences all gathering strength and momentum and about to start rolling OVER us, a swan song to our whole program for YEARS to come (one we HOPE we are just coming out of NOW)...AND the outward manifestation of Saban's, and HIS program in Tuscaloosa's full rise, eventual current "coronation" as the dominant, can't miss, can't LOSE team and program he and it are percieved to be now.
I truly believe that it is ONLY a Mullen-led FLORIDA program that has any realistic hope of rising up, competing with and ultimately displacing them at the top of the SEC--by definition making them, US, "The Best" once more.
But much time, effort and WORK between here and there, now and then: That's the standard we shoot for now. "That right THERE", every aspect and detailed approach broken down to its finest point and constituent parts, somehow "matched" or EXCEEDED in our own way--a "Mullens/GATOR approach" and style. Done right, we'll know we're on track when it gets to be a matter of "US or THEM, period" for a couple/few seasons as to who comes out of Atlanta to be favored in the Playoffs to follow.
Unfortunately, we have strayed, been "habitualized" to so many flawed traits, attitudes and expectations ourselves since that halcyon "heydey" of Spurrier, then Tebow (who lets face it put the perfect mask on Meyer and his teams' resulting personality), that even how we see ourselves and our team, right here now, RIGHT IN FRONT of us has to clear first. That is the first task our Head Coach faced coming in: it is well under way now; next, this full season of play, and soon his first "clean" recruiting cycle, all his own (well, "his own regime's"). We'll soon be able to dispense with that "rearview mirror" entirely, I think.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema