• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Dan Mullen: Not the coach we wanted, but the coach we needed

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
[TWEET]https://twitter.com/SteveSpurrierUF/status/934925514770284546[/TWEET]

Now that the rest of the Gator Nation is over Chip Kelly and Scott Frost, we need to come to terms with Scott Stricklin bringing his personal friend from Starkville, Dan Mullen, back home to Gainesville. I personally believe Steve Spurrier knew that Dan Mullen was the guy, but that Stricklin sent out vetting teams to gauge interest from Chip Kelly and Scott Frost because this is just good business.

Fun fact #1: Dan Mullen brought Billy Gonzales and John Hevesy with him to Starkville when he left in December 2008. Gonzales and Hevesy have been with Mullen since 2001 at Bowling Green, then 2003 at Utah, then 2005 at Florida.

Fun fact #2: Urban Meyer and Dan Mullen's offense defeated Randy Shannon and Bill Young's defense in their head-to-head matchup 26-3 on September 6, 2008. Randy Shannon was not happy with Urban Meyer running up the score at the end just to beat the 22-point spread.

We do not know the terms of Mullen's contract, nor do we have an idea of which assistants he plans on bringing to Gainesville, but I think it would be good if Mullen brought Gonzales and Hevesy back to Gainesville in time.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
"AGREED", from the title on DOWN...
Interesting way of putting it, too:
"...now that rest of Gator Nation is over Kelly and Frost..." Prob true, quick if so, and overall an indicator of a "rather shallow commitment to begin with".
Hadn't heard or read that SS quote until now, but SOUNDS like Spurrier and wouldn't surprise me now; I believe it, anyway.
Those "Fun Facts" are pertinent, if in my case somewhat forgotten until now...But I DO specifically remember that post-game Shannon/Meyer face-to-face, the one that turned out to be about Shannon taking issue with what he saw as Meyer "running it up"...I had no problem with it at the time--but it WAS "a different time": we were in that hard-ass, Meyer-led "winning is EVERYTHING"/Victors' state'o'mind then. But I understand Randy's attitude, looking back on it now. Doubt any of that'd stand in the way of Shannon staying on with us now, if there's room and "want to" on both men's part...BUT REALLY hoping Dan brings "his guys" with him too, though, every ONE of 'em that wants in--All kinds of reasons, obviously. But talent, continuity of success and CHANGE to a program that NEEDS it all seem like positive priorities now. To the degree we can have both, you hope to get it ALL, but bottom line is confidence, familiarity and Mullen's comfort zone, ultimately: His choice, if/when comes down to it.

Escambia94

More fun facts:

Mississippi State's offensive ranking, overall record, overall ranking, and recruiting class ranking under Dan Mullen:
2008 - #116 (4-9, #89) #18
2009 - #72 (5-7, #74) #30
2010 - #42 (9-4, #25) #41
2011 - #84 (7-6, #50) #22
2012 - #79 (8-5, #43) #24
2013 - #42 (7-6, #61) #36
2014 - #8 (10-3, #14) (peaked at #1 for four weeks) #18
2015 - #31 (9-4, #31) #28
2016 - #44 (6-7, #68) #24
2017 - #49 (8-4, #33) #15

Oh, how I dream of a top 100 offense. Mullen improved a team full of 2 and 3-star athletes from an offense ranked #116 into a top 100 offense in only a year.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I don't DARE allow myself to "dream" yet (well, nothing I'll admit to anyway)--but I will, and soon I'm sure...and when I do, it will be about a season about to commence, with some concrete moves having been made, new players, scheme and coaches with real people, plans, schedule and opponents in place. I am determined NOW to wait, wait and see who we are and will likely be as that schedule plays out. I WANT to stay cool, calm and quiet long as I can: I don't, CAN'T promise I will stay there, keep my peace and balance through it all--but for now, after everything we've seen and gone thru, all we have experienced over the last 8 years and more, I can and WILL keep my composure. For now I will be responsible, reflective, show patience and respect. Or at least TRY.

Escambia94

I am cautiously optimistic that things will improve, but I am not ready to call this the home run hire that will get us a national championship. I need to see what the coaching staff looks like and what he does with the recruiting class.

Leakfan12

VIP Member
The big question is can he get Franks to buy in to his system because unless Mullen can recruit a dual threat QB to run his system, Franks will be the guy. Franks isn't Tebow (heck he's not even Leak).

Escambia94

Mullen has stated that he molds the offense to his talent. He and Meyer modified the spread option for Chris Leak. Mullen will not know what Franks can do until spring training. Most analysts would agree that Franks has the physical tools. Franks is built like Nick Fitzgerald of MSU. Franks runs like Fitzgerald. Only Mullen and Billy Gonzalez will know if Franks is a good fit, and they will not make that assessment based on film alone. Spring training is going to be interesting.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema