• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Could they bring back Dan Mullen?

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Shoot, I'm getting to the point where just seeing them acknowledging the need for a CHANGE, practically to ANYONE, would be a relatively "hopeful step in the right direction".

miltongator

Gator Fan
This just in. The whole staff at the University of Florida was arrested this morning for impersonating coaches. Gainesville police said it was an open and punt case.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
More "new coach" threads? Good luck with that. I won't rehash Bernie Machen's and Jeremy Foley's 1000% support for Will Muschamp. Until Brent Pease gets a 1000% vote of confidence, I would focus speculation on the new OC. Dan Mullen is under the gun as State head coach, and is rumored as a UConn head coach candidate. If he were willing to take a pay cut from his $2.75M salary as head coach, he still would not be a good match at Florida as OC unless we wanted to repeat the readjustment process from pro-style offense to spread-option.

roblou56

Gator Fan
Mullen and Muschamp have different offensive philosophies. Mullen spread option attack while Muschamp prefers two back sets and multiple TE's. Not to mention they would have to change the type of athletes they recruit. Can't see that type of hire happening. I could see someone like Rhett Lashlee Auburn's OC. Heavy run focus with play-action big plays. Tutored under Malzhan for the last 15yrs.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
Mullen and Muschamp have different offensive philosophies. Mullen spread option attack while Muschamp prefers two back sets and multiple TE's. Not to mention they would have to change the type of athletes they recruit. Can't see that type of hire happening. I could see someone like Rhett Lashlee Auburn's OC. Heavy run focus with play-action big plays. Tutored under Malzhan for the last 15yrs.

I agree 1000%. Maybe 999%. Mullen ain't coming back to Florida. He is a native son of the Northeast, so he will either hang out at State as long as they will have him, or he will return home to the frigid Northeast and battle the other former Gator coaches Addazio and Loeffler for the title of most successful Urban Meyer flunkee.

Since we like to rehash the same discussion here on Gator Envy, here are the top offensive coordinators in the country, with possible Gator candidates and projected buy-out highlighted:
  1. Kliff Kingsbury (Texas Tech). Technically he is the head coach, but he has retained his OC duties at Texas Tech. At aTm, he made Johnny Manziel from an immature punk that got away with everything into an immature punk that gets away with everything and has a Heisman. He belongs to the coaching tree of Mike Leach, Dana Holgerson, and Kevin Sumlin, and will eventually have an OC under his tree that will make it to this list of OCs that Florida wishes it had. Kingsbury will be staying at Texas Tech until their next scandal.
  2. Philip Montgomery (Baylor). Other than the location of The Alamo's basement, this guy is the best-kept secret in the state of Texas. His offenses were explosive at Houston, and he has made Baylor a powerhouse in the Big 12. His players have done well in the NFL, much to the surprise of NFL scouts. Baylor may have hired Art Briles for the next 1000 years, but Montgomery may be available for the taking for a decent price. ($300K)
  3. Cam Cameron (LSU). Cam^2 has made LSU scary. He may have singlehandedly boosted Zach Mettenberger's NFL Draft stock above Zach's former competition at Georgia, Aaron Murray. LSU is already drawing the attention of top high school QBs, so LSU might be dangerous for a few years. There is not enough money on earth to snag this guy from LSU.
  4. Doug Nussmeier (Alabama). Look what he has done to turn the above average Bama offense into an explosive threat that can keep up with any offense or defense in the nation. I doubt Florida can grab him, but if Will Muschamp can learn a lesson from his old mentor, Nick Saban, it is that defense wins championships only if the offense puts points on the board from time to time. Nussmeier will be staying at Bama until Saban retires with another umpteen national titles.
  5. Chad Morris (Clemson). Success has followed Morris from Tulsa to Clemson. He apparently has an eye for talent and has been able to snag recruits from around the country, even SEC country. I like this option, but it might be a more expensive one than the others on this list. ($1.3M)
  6. Mike Bobo (Georgia). Like it or not, he has improved Georgia's offense over the years and he will continue to be the bane of Will Muschamp for as long as Muschamp is head coach at Florida. His QB, Aaron Murray, has destroyed Tim Tebow's and Danny Wuerffel's SEC records, so give him some respect. He is good friends with Will Muschamp, but it might be too awkward for him to leave UGA to come here.
  7. Shannon Dawson (West Virginia). Dana Holgerson may be the mastermind, but he gives play calling duties to Dawson. His FCS resume includes the number one offense in the nation. In the FBS, he has developed three NFL first-rounders. As darkness begins to loom on Holgersen's reign in Morgantown, Dawson may want to consider jumping ship to sunnier, warmer places like Gainesville. ($300K)
  8. Scott Frost (Oregon). The Quack Attack has not missed a beat since transitioning head coaches, and this guy is the reason. Pac-12 fans think he is ready to be a head coach. I think he should try his offensive formula in a league that plays defense before he steps up as a head coach in the Pac-12. He is probably too scared to leave the safe confines of Pac-12, defense-less football, but he would be a game changer in the SEC as an OC. ($370K)
  9. Tony Franklin (California). His offense led the nation in scoring in 2012--outscoring Baylor, Oklahoma State, and Oregon. The question remains as to whether he could duplicate this feat in the SEC. Given how much the rules have changed in the past year to favor offenses and player safety, I think this Pac-12 offense style could work in the SEC. ($653K+)
  10. James Coley (Miami). Time after time, Miami grabs better offensive players out of high school than Florida.
  11. Al Borges (Michigan). It is hard to tell if these offenses are good because of the players or the coaching, but they do recruit well in B1G country.
  12. Josh Heupel (Oklahoma). His offenses are consistently in the top 10-15, and he keeps pushing out NFL talent. He has coached two Heisman winners and a Big-12 record holder.
  13. Clay Helton (USC). Unless the new head coach likes the old USCw staff, this guy could become available. He can recruit even under NCAA sanctions, which is what Florida's recruiting situation has looked like since 2009 or so.
  14. Brent Pease (Florida). Yeah. People outside of Gainesville still have faith in Pease. Who knows? Maybe after he is fired he will find his niche elsewhere.
  15. Clarence McKinney (Texas A&M). It may be too early to tell whether it is McKinney or the system, but he was the play caller in the record-setting Cotton Bowl performance (633 yards), and he did rack up 628 yards against Alabama's #1 defense.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema