• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Chip Kelly and Scott Frost: 0-6 combined record

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
I know I am gloating here, but the other idiots that Gator fans wanted here in Gainesville are a combined 0-6 right now, including embarrassing losses to Troy, shitty decisions in a loss to Michigan, and lackluster play in losses to Fresno State and Cincinnati.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I know I am gloating here, but the other idiots that Gator fans wanted here in Gainesville are a combined 0-6 right now, including embarrassing losses to Troy, shitty decisions in a loss to Michigan, and lackluster play in losses to Fresno State and Cincinnati.
I for one am NOT surprised: The swelled egos embodied in these gentlemen (the impression of which to a great degree influenced my never being a supporter of EITHER) caused them to underestimate the size and difficulty of each respective job ahead in "bringing them back"...Like Pruitt perhaps is finally realizing about the Volunteer job after LAST night's game (hell, after the FIRST QUARTER against an admittedly troubled and depleted Gator squad), there is a WHOLE lot more time and work, from the finest detail to the grossest, required with nary an error nor misstep along the way, before they'll even SEE "light from the other end of the tunnel" of darkness each in fact has entered. NOT a matter of "gloating", but rather an acknowledgment of why Florida fans need to recognize their good fortune at NOT having been saddled with these "flavor-of-the-moment" beneficieries of "expert"-HYPE at the time...Not that we can claim too much in the way of insight or wisdom ourselves: We had just endured TWO such delusionally "flawed choices" in a row OURSELVES before THEM, after all.

Escambia94

Jeremy Pruitt is a bad choice for UToothless for the same reasons that Muschamp was a bad choice for Florida: he is a longtime defensive coordinator and first-time head coach trying to rebuild a program where he is a complete outsider.

Chip Kelly is a bad choice for any school other than Oregon, because his college offense formula only works in Oregon with a bunch of assistant coaches who also came up through Oregon. Kelly does have the advantage of college and NFL coaching experience to guide him through tough times, but he needs to adapt to changes in college football--most notably the increase in the number of other teams using spread, spread-option, and RPO plays that make his playbook look more familiar to modern defenses.

Scott Frost is a good choice for Nebraska, because he was a fake national championship QB at Nebraska and has legacy there. His rebuild program will be difficult, because Nebraska is no longer in the Big 12, no longer has a monopoly on strong linemen in the Midwest, and no longer has a secret inroad to Florida talent. He is going to learn quickly that his short time at UCF was a fluke, and he only has that year as head coach to draw learning experiences from.

Dan Mullen is a good choice for Florida, because he was an assistant here for two national championship teams. The recruiting landscape is not much different now compared to a decade ago, other than the fact that more teams from outside the state are poaching our recruits. He has a decade of head coaching experience in the SEC, so his only adjustments should be in figuring out how to recruit head-to-head against a much more powerful Alabama and Georgia, as well as a more difficult competition from the other 120+ teams recruiting the state while UF has been down.

Leakfan12

VIP Member
Also, another reason to gloat. Frost beat Charlie in that USF-UCF matchup last year. Still pissed about that because I live in USF territory. I hope Charlie gets his revenge though his team didn't look sharp against ECU (well more like the whole season so far). I think his Bulls can have a good season though they better fix things soon. Also, UCF is still undefeated.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Also, another reason to gloat. Frost beat Charlie in that USF-UCF matchup last year. Still pissed about that because I live in USF territory. I hope Charlie gets his revenge though his team didn't look sharp against ECU (well more like the whole season so far). I think his Bulls can have a good season though they better fix things soon. Also, UCF is still undefeated.
That looks to be a good fit, Strong at USF. Hope they appreciate him the way he deserves (unlike so many here in Longhorn Country did NOT, and the low-class way they expressed it, then ran him outta here); he did the hard work for the next guy, though (Tom Herman, as it turned out--how and WHY that happened, and happened the way it did is a bit of an ugly tale, best left for another place, another time...and swept under the rug COMPLETELY out here in otherwise "Progressive" Austin), cleaning out a poisoned lockeroom full of arrogant slackers with which Mack Brown and his golfing buddies packed the depth chart.
All in all, if Charlie's happy, gotta think he can pretty well stay and settle in there, build a solid program "in his own image", eventually retire and be venerated in those parts, no?

Escambia94

Charlie Strong would have been a good choice at Florida as well. He has been an assistant at UF off and on since the early 1980s. He was probably the one holding the locker room together when UF had the first exodus of coaches in December 2008. He definitely was the one fighting hard to keep Urban Meyer in December 2009. His only problem would have been with offense.

He could not fix Texas, because he did not understand their culture. Tom Herman was a graduate assistant at Texas. His boss, athletic director Chris Del Conte came over from TCU and brought some ideas over from their successful program.

Will Charlie succeed at USF? Without the resources that Dan Mullen, Tom Herman, and others, he will be less successful than these guys, but he has a chance to be successful nonetheless.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Charlie Strong would have been a good choice at Florida as well. He has been an assistant at UF off and on since the early 1980s. He was probably the one holding the locker room together when UF had the first exodus of coaches in December 2008. He definitely was the one fighting hard to keep Urban Meyer in December 2009. His only problem would have been with offense.

He could not fix Texas, because he did not understand their culture. Tom Herman was a graduate assistant at Texas. His boss, athletic director Chris Del Conte came over from TCU and brought some ideas over from their successful program.

Will Charlie succeed at USF? Without the resources that Dan Mullen, Tom Herman, and others, he will be less successful than these guys, but he has a chance to be successful nonetheless.
Well, he's set a high standard there already--and as I say, it's my hope that his early success (astronomical, really, for USF based on their general prior history) will play into his longterm job security. He gathers and manages a good staff around him there, together hold their own in recruiting the fertile grounds our state provides ("holding your own" essentially amounting to not-yet-fully-blossoming "2nd-tier stars" from smaller schools and/or kids somewhat "lost in the shuffle" out there among all the dazzling talent from dominant programs, now and then grabs one of these QBs who doesn't really show his stuff fully til he GETS to a decent college program (OTHER schools get these, while, courtesy of our last few Coaches WE'VE been getting the great-in-prep-and-practice-5-stars or mismanage the really good ones)...Charlie's already started building this kind of "We Do It Different BUT We Do It GOOD!" program down south, and it can be a successful and satisfying life and carreer for him, if HE is cool with it. Which one hopes he will be--because I get the very strong feeling that the one job out there that "might" ("MIGHT"???) supercede it regardless, OURS, looks to belong to the guy we just got--and for some time to come.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema