• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Calathes declares for NBA, can still return to UF

CaliZona_Gator

Super Senior Member
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/mensbasketball/2009-03-30-florida-calathes-draft_N.htm

GAINESVILLE — Florida sophomore guard Nick Calathes will enter his name in the NBA Draft but will not sign with an agent to keep his options open for a possible retun for his junior season.
"I spoke with Coach Donovan (Sunday) night and told him of my intentions and he was nothing but supportive, told me he'd do whatever he could to help me and my family make an educated decision," said Calathes, in a statement released by the school. "I love the University of Florida and am leaving my option to return open. This is a great opportunity to take some time, look at my future beyond college, collect information and see where I'm at."

Calathes was a first-team All-SEC selection in both the coaches and Associated Press voting. He averaged 17.2 points per contest to lead UF and 6.4 assists, a school record.

He is the only layer in the country to average better than 15 points, five rebounds and six assists per contest. His 1,170 points over his first two seasons at Florida are the most points ever by a Gator in his freshman and sophomore years combined. His 231 assists this season broke his own school record of 221 set a year ago, as he ranks third in school history in career assists through just two seasons.

Calathes ranked in the top 10 in nine of 13 possible categories during SEC play and in the top five in six of those. He had a team-high 12 20-point games on the year and recorded his second career triple-double on Jan. 28 vs. Georgia, just the third in school history.

The deadline for early entries in the NBA Draft is April 26. The deadline to withdrawal and remain eligible for college basketball — as long as the player didn't sign with an agent — is 5 p.m. on June 15. The draft is on June 25.

Most scouts have speculated that Calathes can do little to improve his one flaw — quickness — by remaining in college. So he may be at his highest value now. He also needs to add some strength. But Calathes brushed aside any critics.

"If you're a ballplayer," shrugged Calathes, "you're a ballplayer."

The 6-foot-6 Calathes has been projected as a late first round to early second round selection by most mock drafts on various websites. If he does stay in the draft, it would be the third straight year in which the Gators lost at least one player early to the draft.

I think it is a smart move for him to declare, but leave the option to come back. He should come back, but it will be good for him to see what the NBA thinks of him. If he does leave this will free up the PG spot for Walker or maybe even Shipman (but I heard he doesn't run the point well).

Mr2Bits

Gator Fan
I really don't see him leaving for the NBA this year. He may not even get drafted after scouts see how he finished the season. If Calathes really wants out of UF, he should go to Europe and work on his game for 3 years, then go to the NBA.

O-town Gator

Gator Fan
As long as he doesn't hire an agent, he can still return to college basketball. If and when he doesn hire one, though, he'll then be considered a "pro" and loses any remaining eligibility.

leakbrewergator

Awesomeness
The only way I want to see him leave is if my Lakers were smart enough to draft him. We desperately need a backup PG b/c I don't think Farmar will be lasting too much longer.

MahxFahn

Gator Fan
I think he would be making a mistake in leaving. No agent to me implies he'll be coming back. Going to Europe to shore up his game would be less effective than being on a Gator team next season that will have all the missing components he's needed to lead us into a deeper post-season.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema