• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Bye-bye week

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Just an idea, just throwin' it out there:
But Dan Mullens ("QB Whisperer") of all people knows how limited we/they/HE is at QB...
I know how emotionally fragile it is assumed HE assumes Franks is, but does that mean he can't even take this gift of an extra practice week to possibly "bolster his alternatives" at that position, even (supposedly) "for safety's sake"? I don't know how accurate Trask is as a passer, but "weaker arm" or not, might he AND the team not benefit from him getting more onfield experience and "research" in that regard? And/or the young Mr Jones, supposedly a potentially more "tailormade-FIT" to what Mullens' ideal offense looks like, doesn't he have more INgame time available as a redshirt, courtesy of the new rules? Should the opportunity (OR in case the necessity does) arise, does the Head Coach at least give him more practical activity out there than sitting in meetings and holding a clipboard for the next week-and-a-half plus? In either case, what better time than now?
Just asking, as I say...But maybe Coach really does want Franks getting max-reps, out there EVERY MOMENT POSSIBLE imbibing every aspect of the offense...Does any "distraction" amount to a potential challenge to his confidence and unquestioned leadership out there? Does it truly threaten the progress he has made, and continues to make?
Personally, I just don't believe his inconsistency in accuracy is going to improve much. In other words: HE CONTNUES TO MISS TOO MANY OF THE KEY THROWS--the ones that AREN'T seam routes and/or slants to the middle. Not in a week or two. Maybe not enough. Maybe not EVER.
So I ask you all this now; I'm NOT saying to sit him down, but to prepare his backup and at least BEGIN to further develop the current "inherent heir apparent"?
I trust our Head Coach implicitly with this decision--but I'm not sure I understand what I've seen/am seeing so far here. Am I missing something more going on behind the scenes in this regard?
Help me out here, guys: I know the kind of dismissive bitching I'll get elsewhere if I ask--the extremes of "He's growing UP--improving every WEEK!", and "He keeps missing the big throws; he's a LIABILITY!"...Thing is, far as I can see, at various times, in various ways BOTH ARE TRUE!
So help me OUT, my friends...What are y'all's views on this? Basically, I am asking: "Where are we headed. how and WHY?"

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
33848_625c8d76561af8f8124d85b1bd07ad55.jpg

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Don't get me wrong: The above was NOT meant to be any kind of complaint about our Head Coach--on the contrary, I am completely sold on DM.
No, I am simply asking an honest question that puzzles me: With such clear limits to Franks' overall skill set, especially how starkly demonstrated it is each Saturday, while acknowledging that through patience, flexibility and brilliant scheming our Coach HAS managed to get so much more out of this mediocre QB than anyone else has or (in my view) likely could have, are there plans and preparations being made for, if not alternatives THIS season, then NEXT? I mean, considering the jump (noted in your entry above, for eg, E--) in our overall efficiency on offense coaching alone has produced with a still-innaccurate and unreliable Franks at the helm out there, can you imagine what Coach Mullen and his OC could do with a true "upper tier" QB-prospect in there, one that more readily fits our Head Coach's offensive philosophy, with the full set of skills required to eventually open up the whole playbook?!!
With some additions in skill and depth on the O-line no doubt on the way, along with greater depth on defense, well...QB is going to be the key: a big jump again NEXT season when and if we have a young one IN there, then ALL THE WAY as he gains experience and settles in with the across-the-board improving offense around him. All in all, it seems, with the right kid we could seriously challenge next year--and realistically vie for Championships the season after that and regularly thereafter.
The very fact that we got this far with Franks shows the rest is possible. Which brings me back to my original questions:
Do y'all think I'm wrong, that Mullen knows he can and will get more and more out of a continuing-to-improve Franks? And if not, am I missing signs of what he'll do about it?
(My assumption has been that while always "on the look out" to recruit a stud, he thinks he might HAVE one right for his plans already in Emory Jones, and hopes to begin shepharding his "ascension" as soon as next Spring...But seeing no hint of such moves, at the same time as witnessing so little further improvement in Franks' pedestrian skillset, has me worried, I guess...With this QB, I have a feeling we've gone about as far as we can go on Mullen's adaptable scheming alone--and the better defensive coordinators will be able to adapt in turn from here, reducing whatever offense we can consistently manage mainly to our running game plus whatever big plays we get elsewhere (defense, special teams, etc) from our playmakers. As it is, Franks' innacuracy alone, week in/week out is costing us AT LEAST 2 long-pass-TDs per game. And that is huge. So what do any of you see or otherwise percieve is our Head Coach's plan of action from here? Are there signs I am missing?)

Escambia94

Franks has shown that the previous coaching staff did not know how to develop the QB position. This is the same staff that could not decide between Treon Harris and Will Grier. This is the same staff that would throw a 3-yard screen pass on 3rd and 15. Dan Mullen and Brian Johnson are maximizing the talent in Franks by limiting the playbook. The receivers are getting open. We are definitely one QB away from a very good team. Even with a limited offense we are #39 in offensive efficiency. I would imagine Florida will stay in the top 20 in terms of offense with QBs recruited by Mullen and his staff.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Franks has shown that the previous coaching staff did not know how to develop the QB position. This is the same staff that could not decide between Treon Harris and Will Grier. This is the same staff that would throw a 3-yard screen pass on 3rd and 15. Dan Mullen and Brian Johnson are maximizing the talent in Franks by limiting the playbook. The receivers are getting open. We are definitely one QB away from a very good team. Even with a limited offense we are #39 in offensive efficiency. I would imagine Florida will stay in the top 20 in terms of offense with QBs recruited by Mullen and his staff.
That addresses the overall "reason for optimism"...Once we DO get in that "consistent Top 20 offense"-category we WILL be consistent competitors for a spot in the FOOTBALL Final Four on an annual basis--But note: If you reverse the order of the points you make regarding all that, you then LEAD with the idea that it all DEPENDS on getting "QBs recruited by Mullen and his staff..." So unless it turns out that Jones is that realistic "hope" already sitting there a ways down the bench/depth chart, that's an answer to the "what are we DOING about it?"-Q right there--as in, "Nothing TO be done until we get some in here..."
Still, do you think that is how our Coach already sees it? I suppose the more immediate questions I am posing now are whether that IS how it is, and hence about how much are we "condemned" to rest our current status on Fillipe--and for how long? Do we interpret "the current signs" as evidence that our Head Coach doesn't have much hope the answer is already here? I believe he truly AIMS to create a kind of self-sustaining LINE of "top college QBs"--nothing less than that, and a string of Championships his eventual legacy here at UF.
I suppose I am fishing not just for y'all's observations and opinions, but anything else you've "HEARD"... For example, I have "heard" (from the dreaded "people close to the staff and program") that though there are natural uncertainties, there IS some "guarded hope" regarding Jones' talents and bright future here (and that "future" potentially being "right around the corner"), but Coach's ongoing concerns about Franks' potential emotional fragility, confidence, and leadership, coupled with very real ones that had to be met regarding the messed up lockeroom situation upon Mullen and staff's arrival here, and the necessarily continued efforts (though by now a much, MUCH improved situation) to rebuild honor and mutual trust among players, AND between players and staff, is something he is still cautious about messing with in any way mid-season. These latter were as much an "anchor dragging us to the bottom" as all the obvious "football problems" this staff came in having to deal with upon arrival.
Most of this just makes sense--we really don't need a "source" to tell us it was a problem, OR that it was/IS somehow being addressed: We can see and "feel" the change around the team and program--and ON THE FIELD. But any insights on details and how it is likely to manifest in what is to come would help me, maybe all of us, at least put a certain amount of concern aside, and rest easier about where things are headed.

(...and that line about the prev regime's judgment and competence being embodied in their having trouble "deciding between Treon Harris and Will Grier" was hilarious in its stark, dead on accuracy, btw!)

Escambia94

We the fans should cut Franks a break. If he does not fall apart at the end of the season, then he will have earned the right to be the leading candidate starter next year. I still think that even if he continues improving he still will have more to learn, because next year Mullen will want to install a complete offense. What we are seeing is a very limited version of the Mullen playbook.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
We the fans should cut Franks a break. If he does not fall apart at the end of the season, then he will have earned the right to be the leading candidate starter next year. I still think that even if he continues improving he still will have more to learn, because next year Mullen will want to install a complete offense. What we are seeing is a very limited version of the Mullen playbook.
Well, it sure tends to FEEL less hopeful in-game, when he regularly misses open WRs at key points in the game flow, as I say...We all saw it (just check our comments at various points each gameday thread--and/or watch the game replays! I have watched the latest against Vandy several times now, the last time following along with our gameday thread postings)--but big picture, I had intended to make a similar point along the way here about Franks in particular and this season's team and outcome so far this year in general: he HAS come a ways, and I would be remiss if I were not to acknowledge that, all in all, arriving at this by-week with just the one loss heading into The Cocktail Party was a result we would pretty well ALL have found eminently acceptable. Until Mullen's arrival and the results so far of his work with Franks and our offense, clutch long plays and stubborn comebacks had become vague memories.
As far as "cutting Franks a break" beyond that, well, Mullen MUST play the best guy he's got, he MUST be able to further "open up the playbook" NEXT season--and everything I am talking about, all the questions I am posing here revolve around the "hows" and "WHENS" of all that.
In my view, the timing more and more seems to involve Franks likely still BEING the "leading candidate as starter" come the START of next season, but then (as the spring/summer, then early season sharpens the picture), a growing question/possibility/likelihood of a FAST-rising Jones at some point being ready to take over there.
The only way this NOT taking place won't herald a serious regression for this offense would be if Franks himself steadily took even more dramatic steps forward in improving important aspects of his game--his overall grasp, even mastery of the whole offense, both in how quickly and far he proceeds through his checkdown back there, AND of course his ability to quickly see and MAKE the throws with sharpness and accuracy.
If the latter ensues, then Mullen & Co. will have the preferred luxury of bringing along Jones more slowly and carefully (we've seen different approaches to this process over the years, in fact just this year alone in the Conference)--and perhaps thus be able to accomplish it in calm and organized fashion, strongly finishing a season even more successful than the current one with continued steady growth, confidence, and even greater promise.
We may seem "ahead of schedule" now, but no matter what, I still see our full arrival to begin regularly, seriously challenging for National Championships as "on target" for 2021.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Oh, and another piece for our recruiting "wishlist": a good, BIG tight end.

Escambia94

Honestly we know nothing about Emory Jones or Kyle Trask. Next year assuming there are no transfers we should have the following QBs:
  1. JR Feleipe Franks
  2. JR Kyle Trask
  3. SO Emory Jones
  4. RJR Nick Sproles (utility player)
  5. FR Jalon Jones

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Honestly we know nothing about Emory Jones or Kyle Trask. Next year assuming there are no transfers we should have the following QBs:
  1. JR Feleipe Franks
  2. JR Kyle Trask
  3. SO Emory Jones
  4. RJR Nick Sproles (utility player)
  5. FR Jalon Jones
Well, we "know" a FEW things about young Mr Jones--trouble is, it is all mostly second hand right now, documented only (in Jones' case) in his PREP work (which WAS impressive--and the sort of thing that hasn't done a THING for us--OR our last few Head Coaches except lead them astray), generally theoretical and/or 2nd-hand...
But among "back-channel" info is the "FACT" that all of the above indicates Jones "fits the mold", has the "skill set" that fulfills the ideal requirements of Mullen's "full playbook" (AND that our Coach is quietly excited about getting him--or SOMEONE with the full panoply of skills he has shown so far--up to speed and IN there to run his offense)...BUT: from the moment he got him on the practice field it was obvious to our newly-arrived Head Coach: Along with all those undeniable positives, Emory Jones also CLEARLY had a LONG way to go, in every way (size, experience, emotional maturity and so on) from a practical standpoint before he'd be ready to compete with experienced upper-classmen for leadership of ANY SEC offense--let alone the complicated, multi-headed/quick-thinking one Mullen has in mind for someone with Jones' supposed skills to ultimately lead and run out there.
But though it has dramatically improved our relative rankings, results and record this season as compared to the monotonously regular STRING of seasons (under various Coaches) preceding it, Franks' game continues to "limit" Mullen's plans and choices (and ultimately, in turn, how MUCH of "the Mullen playbook" is still closed to him AND us) to an enormous degree. We're ALL just ITCHING to see that OPENED UP... so we can only imagine how Mullen must feel. But he is shrewd and patient, obviously: Either Franks will manage to continue to raise his game, under Mullens & Co.'s tutelage hopefully fast (or at least steadily) enough to keep ahead of the (for now, still "under the radar") process that WILL eventually bring either the "inevitable ascension" or "desperate gamble" that heralds "THE CHANGE Under Center". The same "patience" has them bringing Jones (and/or whomever ELSE with "MAD 5-star SKILLS" they meanwhile might snag) along SLOWLY: Franks and Trask, in Mullen's view apparently give them that luxury, at least.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
@Escambia94,
(laughing) By the way, brother:
Along with your cogent comments in-game which focused me more fully on the DETAILS of Franks' continued difficulties, it was the link you provided to "Josh's"
Twitter site that solidified my insights into why and HOW MUCH that was hurting us in concrete and direct ways (most of all right up there on the scoreboard).
All that continues to linger with me AFTER the in-game emotion has sonewhat faded (not to mention the relief of the WIN). So though I am, like you, more circumspect now, I can't (WON'T) quite shake the inclination to consider the bigger, long term picture anymore: For us to continue to grow, evolve into the Championship-caliber program we aim to be, Franks MUST continue to get better, or be superceded--by sometime next year.
There it is, in stark terms--IMHO, of course...

Escambia94

I am curious how Feleipe Franks prepares for this game. Some team members are using this week to go home, especially the ones from out of state. Franks' family is recovering from Hurricane Michael. Granted, hurricane damage to family is more important than football, but how much does this distract him from school and football?

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
It is no big secret by now: There's a more n more obvious way to approach facing Mullen's Franks-led offense, at this point. Kirby Smart and UGA not only will try, but have the players to accomplish it: Simply take away the run (ie. LOTS of "guys in the box") and the sideline passes-that-are-REALLY-runs, bite HARD on the slants and seam-routes that Franks CAN throw when he does drop back (or moves the pocket), and DARE him to try throwing it downfield, ANYTHING "over the top"...At least 9 times out of 10 you don't HAVE to stop these throws--he'll do it FOR you: 60% of these he OVERthrows on his own (even when not pressured) for "unforced error" incompletions, 30% are UNDERthrown for at WORST (from the defenders' P.O.V.) more incompletions--and sometimes for big INTs...which leaves the fluky 1 in 10 that MIGHT BE accurate, and caught--and (because he has so much trouble with them) such TRIES are relatively few and far between, by design NOT a big part of the offense...and if you CAN put some pressure on him, well, let's just grant that improvisation isn't our QB's strong suit either.
If Franks WERE able somehow to find his rhythm and groove there, though, especially in his downfield throwing, we could blow an unsuspecting oponent OUT that way some Saturday. NEXT weekend would be a good time. Little sign of it so far though...I have no idea how, or even IF such changes really happen, but it is the only thing that could open the door to his finally "stepping UP" to that next level.
Of course, if he were to convince Mullen in closed practice that it HAD finally somehow "clicked in", that he was suddenly HITTING THOSE, dropping it in consistently from over the WRs' shoulders instride, ideally neither the fans nor the opposition would know anything about it until the first of several such bombs were completed ingame, of course.
We live in hope--but without that, it'll have to be a plethora of clever "wrinkles" that our offensive braintrust comes up with that yield enough yards and (ultimately) points if we are to nip these Bulldogs next Saturday...

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
...Meanwhile, little word, little ANYTHING out of the Coach (not even the weekly presser), players, athletic department or anyone ELSE there in Gainesville.
I'd make some comment along the lines of "Interesting approach..."--if I could discern any "APPROACH" at all here.
But that may well be the plan to start with. If there is one clear trait we have learned so far about our Head Coach, it is "detail oriented": When it comes to this team, he leaves little to chance--unless he thinks "relax and leave it to chance" (as in "go with the flow") happens to be the way to go right then (I'm thinking now of that great, somehow emblematic scene of Mullen with his starting QB, on the sidelines in the middle of a close game earlier this season, Franks clearly tense and focused--and his Coach breaking into an impromptu little dance, stopping long enough to tap his QB on the tummy, get his attention and then go back to his little jam there, as if to say, "Relax! Enjoy the moment...We GOT this!!!").
So whatever is (or ISN'T) happening THIS week, and/or by contrast whatever is done or said NEXT one, directly football-related or not, be certain IT IS ALL INTENTIONAL, and in some way (at least theoretically) "by design".
Just about EVERY college coach wants everyone (players most of all) to THINK that, but in my view, besides Saban and a handful of others (Meyer was one--but his narcistic blindness to any of his own flaws, let alone those of borderline psychotics he kept adding to his lockerroom, eventually outweighed the great progress achieved on the field), Mullen is the most thorough and conscientious of this very rare example of "The Real Thing": Thoughtful, balanced, consistent--and damn near obsessive in covering every detail of "What it Takes to Win!".

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema