• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

BTW: Muschamp to Auburn

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Not sure which "Department" this one belongs in:
"He Never WAS a Gator" (Urban Meyer, Honorary Lifetime Chairman), or "This Is How You Try To Keep Up In the SEC" (...and I guess they'll try'n'play some defense now). Might SEEM like an interesting counterpoint to what he tried to achieve, year after year while he was here at Florida, but I'm not so sure it'll work out quite as pat as they (and a lotta other folks--see Alligator Army's latest re this move, Oklahoma's problems and the "College Football Arms Race") think, though: Remember just how "well" similar moves on offense (ie. pulling in guys from all over the map who had good results as supposed "O-Masterminds" elsewhere to run things on that side of the ball) did NOT go for Muschamp when he was with US, ironically enough. Starting from scratch in a place with neither the foundation nor personnel, with a coach and staff who clearly have had no grasp of and placed little value on a whole major portion of the game before now, somehow doesn't seem to bode well for any kind of sudden turnaround on that side of the ball. Can't change that, or who he's got to work with--OR who he's GONNA get either for that matter. He's getting a nice chunk-of-change, though--thankyou very much Auburn and kudos to Will for taking $2.5 mil-a-yr off our hands, at $1.8 million about $700,000 a year less than he woulda got from us for just sittin' on his ass. (See, E--? You were worried about all that leaking cash, but it's workin' out OK after all--I think...)

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
Yeah... We are paying him $2M+ a year for another two years to recruit against us! Rumor has it that he will take Travaris Robinson, one of our best recruiters, as well.

FrozenGator

Gator Fan
Yeah... We are paying him $2M+ a year for another two years to recruit against us! Rumor has it that he will take Travaris Robinson, one of our best recruiters, as well.
If he's working for someone else, how is he entitled to any Gator money? Sorry if I've missed the obvious....

Escambia94

If he's working for someone else, how is he entitled to any Gator money? Sorry if I've missed the obvious....

That is how his contract was written. You will find that any coach represented by Jimmy Sexton will have good contracts, especially if the state allows buyout clauses and long contracts. Jimmy only represents the best coaches and players. Note that Jimmy Sexton also represents Jim McElwain, who had a $7M buyout at CSU. His contract at Florida is $3.5M for 6 years. Coach Mac's buyout from CSU was the largest buyout in history ($5M + $2M after their game). If he gets fired from Florida, he will probably get a similar severance package (probably $3.5M times the remaining years on contract).

Hate on Muschamp all you want. This is the cost of doing business at elite programs. Florida is one of the few schools in America that can afford to pay $14M in one year for two head coaches ($6.5M/year for Muschamp through 2016 + $7M/ year for McElwain through 2021).

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
THAT (our ability to pay) has been my point all along: We could, would, did and ARE upgrading top-to-bottom on our coaching staff, as we had to--and I look at what Muschamp (and any other "former Gator") gets at Auburn as nicely subsidizing our past sins--whether "mistakes" or "the cold truths of modern college football". As for his recruiting, they can HAVE it...and I'm not as enamored of Robinson's supposed prowess in that regard as you are, either. Regardless, we were in a certain situation already as the season wound (way, WAY) down, and all that's being complained about here now amounts to "after the fact": It's a net gain, guys--BIG time, when all is said and done, you'll see (if you don't already, which most of you do if you step back and see it in terms of "how things looked", how they really were, versus how they appear now, looking forward).
As I've said before, I'm not so sure (in fact I greatly doubt) he will be able to repeat much more than a fractional shadow of his defensive success as a Coordinator--anywhere, but at Auburn of all places. He'll have neither the control over who and how many, nor foundation in place to build on...In short, start much further back, with fewer playmakers, less access to as many or as good in each class on that side of the ball, all in a program for whom defense has been at best an afterthought. He'll make 'em better--but I like our guy's chances of putting together a decent, eventually even great, offense much sooner, MUCH more.
Anyway, I don't really begrudge his move. It neither offends nor concerns me greatly...Has a bit of a "mercenary"". "have-scheme/will-travel"-quality to it, but it doesn't hit me with the same seething resentment as the whole Meyer-scenario did (still does). Muschamp did this with a kind of professionalism that at the very least has little of the underhanded sleaziness that his predecessor has come to seem soaked in. We'll beat him and his new team--with pleasure, but without a whole lot of extraneous emotional resentment.
I don't hate Zook; I certainly won't hate Muschamp...I predict we just won't think much about him anymore as time goes on--especially once he moves on from there.

Escambia94

T-Rob is definitely a good recruiter. Sporting News named him recruiter of the year in 2012. The problem is that he is primarily a recruiter for defense, but he does snag offense from time to time. If we lose him, it would be hard to regain recruiting in the South Florida power high school region.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema