• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Brantley surprisingly not looking too bad!!

robdog

Gator Fan
I am liking what I am seeing so far to. Not going to get overly excited because of who we are playing, but a good start none the less...

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
As I noted over on the Game Day Thread, IA, while he has CERTAINLY done a lot of good things tonight (and even more than that nice TD pass to Rainey in the 1st half, I was especially impressed with how he dealt with screw ups and adversity--just shrugged 'em off and came back poised, cool, calm and strong), that last INT in the endzone (the first one, tho' not perfect wasn't so much on him as the receiver) was a forced-underthrow--I know that's a favorite Weis redzone play, but JB's gotta know when to pull it down and not force it, and I get a little nervous when I see his INT's outnumbering his TD-passes again. Still, he continues to run this offense with confidence and efficiency--there's another TD run from Demps to finish off another drive--so, on balance, we have a lot to feel good about with Brantley running the offence (and Driskell isn't ready yet--good that he got to go through a mid-game trial-by-fire and get the nerves and resulting mistakes out there and not have it hurt us, and therefore not hurt him--so much as embarrass him, I'm sure--now, rather than later, when a game is on the line...he has the tools, he'll learn from all of this, and meanwhile it looks like our senior is stepping up after all).

InkedAdrenaline

VIP Member
^ya sorry didn't see the gameday thread or I would have posted there.

But ^ya driskel still needs work but is promising for next year.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I'm watching the parade of players coming to the podium to answer questions over on Gatorvision (you can get to it via Gatorzone.com/Gameday), Rainey was first, then Brantley--I'm waiting for Coach Muschamp (want to hear him anyway, but especially want to hear what's happening w/Floyd)...but I KNEW already from watching his body language that there was something different about #12, and the way he conducted himself just now really brought it home: the kid really does believe in himself, the team, the coaches and his place as a Senior leader now--he has that air of confident command, and that's not just "words"...I can understand how and why everyone from the coaches down to the players just take that as a given now, and just don't see it as an issue anymore. This is a very big deal, though, and if it holds, we may have seen the same guy turn a weakness into a strength at that key QB position. If he and the offense around him does continue to learn and grow, this team could do some real damage into that tough SEC schedule everyone is so sure is going to break us. There's a lot of work ahead, I know, I'm just sayin'...

Jody Yates

Gator Fan
Thought JB played pretty good tonight. Good point Dru, JB showed poise when things would go south. That is a big A+ for us moving forward. Things didnt go perfect for us so that gives coach something to get in peoples faces and work on for next week. To many penalties and the turnover ratio was a problem we can work on. Overall was well pleased with hat i saw. Especially after watching SC and GA play! GO GATORS

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Yeah man, there were all KINDS of examples out there the last couple of days of "what could have been but WASN'T us, not this year..."
All in all, for the scare to the players and "meat" it gave the coaches to tear into, even the problems and screw ups we saw in the Swamp tonight (that sudden "swoon" inside the last 2 minutes of the 1st half was a bit of a "bad flashback", and a reminder of how fast it can come apart if you lose focus; I can imagine the next film sessions, with the coaches reminding them, "What happens if we do that against Alabama? ", and so on) had a possible "upside"--at least they're better out there now, as you say--and considering all the good things we saw out of their basic "vanilla" set-ups on offense, that squad can potentially continue to grow and eventually hold its own against anyone. The "D" is even closer to being really good, even dominant, I think--but the depth issues practically demand that we get Brown and Floyd back soon if we're going to shut down the best SEC offenses late in games. No further word on that until during the week, it seems.

Jody Yates

Gator Fan
yeah man know what you mean depth or lack of it is huge in the SEC especially on the D line. Gotta rotate those big boys so they can go all out every play that they're in there. I think we will alright tho we got a young team but i think some of them will step up and give us a good rotation. I'm excited about the season think we can be a good team. Coach Boom's intensity and energy looks like it has rubbed off on his players. We had some swagger and cockyness that we never had last year.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I found the ESPN-site's writers' take on the game interesting. First the fact that there were barely 90,000 on hand at Ben Griffen (that's about 7,000 short now, am I right?), then their impression that the crowd was "sitting on its hands, holding its collective breath" at what they'd see on the field "after last year", that they "weren't completely sold on Muschamp or this team"...Until that point he lost it and stalked down the field just screaming at the officials, certain they'd gotten that call on his guy wrong, that he HADN'T jumped the snap, had just made a great play--THEN they were "all in", etc. etc.
Now, it makes good copy, and I do remember that moment, the cheering, smiling myself and thinking, "This is a big change from last year's crossed-arm, distant stare from Meyer--yeah, give 'em hell, Coach Boom!", and I'm sure the players love it too...but I just didn't read it all that way. Now, I wasn't there, and I can only guess the reasons why the game wasn't a sell out (for the first time in a BUNCH of seasons)--but we were ALL wondering what the on-field product would look like, ESPECIALLY after last year, but the dominant emotions out HERE were excitement and impatience, and that's exactly what I THOUGHT I saw, heard and felt from the crowd at the swamp--albeit through my Sony/Bose--personally, I knew we had a whole different "animal" out there calling itself "the Fightin' Gator Football Team" than what we saw last year by 1/2 way through the 1st qrtr., and Coach's tirade was just gravy. What did y'all think? How about someone who was there at the Swamp?

awebbf5

VIP Member
Im just glad adazzio is gone, brantley looks better but lets see how he does against defenses of bama and lsu thats the big test for him. Im very happy about our future with Mr. Driskell.

Jack&Dew

Gator Fan
I was at the game and the stands were not full. (the upper levels had some empty seats) From past experiences being at the swamp, it was kinda quiet. I would agree that most people were waiting to see what was going to happen and were holding their breath for most of the game. (hard to yell this way)

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Sure burst crazy for a moment on that opening kickoff--'til they saw that flag lyin' on the grass back at the 30, right?
Might have been a whole different experience in the stands if that return had stood. Maybe on the field, too--though aside from more points, I think we HAD to begin some "learning by screwing up" no matter what--that was a YOUNG team out there Sat. night, what, 9 freshmen was it?--as others have noted, we have work to do before getting to the SEC-schedule later this month. The coaches will have their attention now: -3 turnover-ratio and 9 penalties, plus let-downs elsewhere on both sides of the ball mean no letting up, no loss of effort or concentration for ANYONE.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema