• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Anyone else saw that special about Hernandez on CNN?

Leakfan12

VIP Member
If not, I'm sure they play it again on weekends or whatever. I'm disturb about two incidents that happened in Gainesville while Hernandez was a Gator player. One where Tebow tried to calm him down before Hernandez punched a manager of a popular hangout and the athletic department struck a deal so the victim wouldn't press charges. Also Hernandez was accuse a shooting as well. How did he stay a Gator?

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
If not, I'm sure they play it again on weekends or whatever. I'm disturb about two incidents that happened in Gainesville while Hernandez was a Gator player. One where Tebow tried to calm him down before Hernandez punched a manager of a popular hangout and the athletic department struck a deal so the victim wouldn't press charges. Also Hernandez was accuse a shooting as well. How did he stay a Gator?
Um, because he was REALLY GOOD? And remember who, and what, our Head Coach was...I mean, no reason to run'n'hide from it now, friends: In day-to-day terms, whatever REAL "class" and honor our team and program had during that time flowed mainly from #15...In retrospect, nowhere/when it was clearer than when it all began to come apart before our eyes--at the Georgia Dome against the Tide at the end of '09. Half that starting team seemed "late-for-the-door", everything but their bodies already gone...Coach TOO, turned out: After that it was steady breakdown and decay. Yet right there, on the field that day, to the fans' shocked dismay and heartbreak, our head coach standing there with the numb, vacant stare of a deer caught-in-the-headlights, it was TT franticly trying to rally everyone, offense, defense, fans--and, as he, last of all finally began to realize it wasn't gonna happen, he COULDN'T pull it all back together ONE MORE TIME by sheer force-of-will, it was TT who cried--not just for himself, not just for the team, but for all of us. He was mocked for it, made fun of endlessly since, but I loved him for that as much as anything else, all he accomplished here, and always will.

Leakfan12

VIP Member
Well I got that since Meyer and company recruited him and he got a lot of talent to come to G-Ville. Sadly, good number of those guys were well trouble but if he could kick out Avery Atkins (who meet a tragic end), Jamar Hornsby, and in a way Cam Newton. However, Hernandez stayed. Also I don't think the 2009 SEC is a reason Hernandez came a murderous thug though Meyer did let things lapse because of the 30 or so arrest they had in his Gator tenure. Granted Meyer is paid to win games not be a babysitter.

awebbf5

VIP Member
Um, because he was REALLY GOOD? And remember who, and what, our Head Coach was...I mean, no reason to run'n'hide from it now, friends: In day-to-day terms, whatever REAL "class" and honor our team and program had during that time flowed mainly from #15...In retrospect, nowhere/when it was clearer than when it all began to come apart before our eyes--at the Georgia Dome against the Tide at the end of '09. Half that starting team seemed "late-for-the-door", everything but their bodies already gone...Coach TOO, turned out: After that it was steady breakdown and decay. Yet right there, on the field that day, to the fans' shocked dismay and heartbreak, our head coach standing there with the numb, vacant stare of a deer caught-in-the-headlights, it was TT franticly trying to rally everyone, offense, defense, fans--and, as he, last of all finally began to realize it wasn't gonna happen, he COULDN'T pull it all back together ONE MORE TIME by sheer force-of-will, it was TT who cried--not just for himself, not just for the team, but for all of us. He was mocked for it, made fun of endlessly since, but I loved him for that as much as anything else, all he accomplished here, and always will.
Very well said Dru. Have to say that was one of the hardest losses to swallow, I actually bout broke like Timmy myself.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Very well said Dru. Have to say that was one of the hardest losses to swallow, I actually bout broke like Timmy myself.
Yeah, man. It still hurts.
Another reason I want to give Muschamp as much of a chance as possible--not just 'cause I think he might be able to lead us to that KIND of seemingly sustained success again, but do it right, without the shadows multiplying and gaining on, closing in behind us--built to last, this time. We always KNEW there were bound to be some years "out in the cold" while things got made right and a stronger, healthier program emerged--or we SHOULD have. We just didn't know how bad things really were--and forgot how futile it can all begin to seem when all the breaks start going against you. This is "reality", though, so fair or not, the "turn around" has got to begin now, big time: This regime has got to field a team that has come further, faster than anyone outside of The Nation gives them any chance of showing this season, if they're gonna have any chance of getting to "bring it on home", and hold ON to it for awhile, in the years that follow.
(And btw, whereas normally I just don't get too wrapped up in what FORMER-Gators do once they move on, especially most of the guys from the Meyer-years, for all the reasons exemplified in that '09 SEC Championship game and the week leading up to it, I still wish-to-HELL (OK--maybe wrong turn-of-phrase) Tim would have been/somehow might still be given a proper shot at pro-success...But I guess stepping in on a team headed nowhere, full of players that didn't believe in him, with a GM who didn't WANT him to succeed, and leading them straight from injury and desperation--only way he was even gonna get the nod on that Bronco team, Elway as much as expecting/HOPING he'll "I-told-you-so" stink--to the AFC Championship game with all the drama, thrills and an overtime "WE-told-you-so" bolt-from-the-blue to win week before and get them THAT far, none of it means sh*t if "the culture of the NFL establishment" is working against you. "Just fit, baby...")

Nighthawk

Gator Fan
I have a question, about how and why the Florida Gator Store has allowed the ongoing sale of 2014 calendars. With A.H. as July to go on, when we have pulled his brick. Please I am looking for some intellegence on this. My mind be it all is can not understand.

Leakfan12

VIP Member

Nighthawk

Gator Fan
OK. Granted time is a issue. Why is the Gatorzone store selling them and have not pulled them from there shelfs. Even though they are on sale for only $2.09.

Leakfan12

VIP Member
Sad but true, but in all honesty after the zook era none of us were really thinking about anything but winning ourselves.

Again sad but true, we were. I wonder if things would have gotten out of hand if Petrino was the coach instead of Meyer (I don't recall Petrino having troubled players, he was the one with the troubles and I rather have a coach did what Bobby Petrino did than a player like Hernandez). Also sad but true fact, either good number of those high ranking players have baggage coming to the university or the player once they get into school they have freedom and they don't use it wisely either on their own or influence by the upperclassmen. Then again, Patriots had to be equally dumbfounded when all this came out that they drafted him even though they did more of a background check than the Gators did. Hey, Florida isn't the only program that recruited and sign a player who ended up a murderer (Colorado with Rae Carruth and USC with OJ).

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
In my opinion, it is not that a Gator player wound up being a murderer, it is that all the winning came at a cost of lots of negative press and negative players all within the same time span.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Combining the "Sad But True" and "Life's a Cliche-riddled Drag" Departments: "It's the world we live in".
I mean, look around...and anyway what kind of "choices" are these anyway, "Meyer or Patrino", "Patrino or Hernandez", etc.??? I refuse to take it personally as a Gator--cut myself off from it, at the source, some time ago: There are exceptions (TT, of course, and a handful from further back who continue to represent themselves and our school as proud Gators who WE can be proud of), but generally I stop feeling emotionally connected in any way to most former players once they leave and pursue their pro careers--a process getting there (we share their joy and suffering, so much of our own sense of "the rightness of things" riding on their blood, sweat, effort and outcome as our onfield surrogates almost every Fall Saturday, after all), but pretty well completed with the 2009 class in the week leading up to (and results of) that season's SEC Championship game.
Doesn't change the fact that y'all have solid, bottom-line points here...and in the end, the one part that still always gets to me is in what E- notes--both the pride and practical hits we take from the negative publicity that gets amplified and used against us by the media, the competition, and all the haters-at-large out there.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema