• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Aftermath: What Does It All MEAN?

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
(I ask you all to review our end-of-game and post-game comments on "Game Day" Gators at Vols--so we're all "caught up" again on where we're going here, what was already starting to coalesce around what we saw just at Newyland with US, and what "It ALL" refers to...)
(If you REALLY want a "flash back to reality", skim over the whole Game Day Thread, like I just did...Just a quick run-over, just looking for the "flow" and "flash points", gives a pretty good return as to what's really going on, what's important in OUR world, with our team)
Now: Let me just throw a FEW of that and more out there. Forgive me if I'm "all over the place"--but I'm just starting something I KNOW will go a lot MORE places, at least OUGHT to.
Hey, Dan Mullen-boosters and also (especially) E-, who wonders who we'd be able to get "out there" now OR at the end of this season: Do you think we could (or in e-'s case) COUDN'T get Mullen, if we wanted him, never mind the "good times"-vibe and celebration that team, program, university, town and that whole portion of the state of Mississippi (the non-Rebel part) is surrounding him in, bearing him upon their joyous shoulders? How much more money are WE willing to offer him if we wanted him--and could he refuse it, if we did? There's always, "for the good of my family" after all, and he does have roots in Gainesville. Just asking.
Does Muschamp NOT sit Driskel, play Harris? Is he that far gone, has lost sight of the only way he MIGHT stay, can't SEE how badly this offense is, how it changed its whole character and bearing with the true-freshman in there, is just that ignorant of offense AND stubborn about his decisions that he is doomed all around, for that alone?
Can we beat ANYONE of these SEC teams that are ranked?? Even LSU, probably (even more than USC) the most over-rated, uneven and inconsistent team among the preseason favorites?
Of Auburn and the two Mississippi teams, which of these is the "real deal"? ('Cause I don't think there's more than one among 'em, personally, this season.)
Back to us, how many more games do y'all think we'll win with Driskel in there? How about with Treon? (This last isn't fair, really: I just wanna see the kid IN there, learning--but if he doesn't win, and win fast, or at least get a WHOLE lot more done with this offense than JD, which incidentally SHOULDN'T be that hard, isn't that high a standard by which to judge ANYONE, then Muschamp'll switch back to Driskel in a heartbeat--if he even goes to Harris to start NOW).
So maybe this is the question: Is there ANY realistic scenario where Muschamp gets to stay, and does Muschamp still "do what's best for the Gators" regardless, because he's the honorable-if-fiery and driven-to-success guy I thought he was all along? Am I wrong to now think he's just thinking in the most narrow terms, what gives HIM a chance to keep his job, and "playing not to lose" has become his focus as a result...a self-fulfilling process if there ever WAS one, by-the-way. The whole team seems to play panic-stricken, play-form-fear, especacially on defense much of the time. We have such great talent on that side of the line, and individuals make great plays, kinds of things that save us against inferior teams we've done everything but hand the game to--but can't surmount the overall confusion, lack of proper preparation leading up to or adjustment in-game. Can that change, simply with a situational change--ie. a more efficient AND explosive offense, taking control early and "getting separation" on the scoreboard, forcing the flow and tempo of the game--and can Muschamp learn to KEEP the pressure on, HAS he learned, if ever given the opportunity, NOT to just try and SIT on a two score lead, if he got one?
Y'all know what I think--and where it leads if the answer is "No" to any of the above, let alone most or all.
But what do YOU say--especially if Treon gets in there and performs.
Is any of this a fair place to send young Treon Harris into anyway, especially with so much hope attached to his efforts in what will have to be one hellacious learning curve AND pressure-cooked fishbowl (and THERE'S a vivid image, the water boiling away in a fishbowl, "Goldie" getting poached before our eyes...).
Maybe OK if Muschamp DOESN'T go to him, or tries to just "phase him in, goes half-assed cautious and has Roper just bring him in "for certain series"...NOT likely to work, it's gotta be an "all or nothing" roll of the dice here, but perhaps better for Harris, gives him time and exposure at this level with almost NONE of the potential blame...I'm not so sure it wouldn't have been a good way to go had we not been so woeful with Driskel, had DRISKEL not been so woeful.
I have my own thoughts on all of this, and a lot more topics for consideration, but for a change I'm gonna hold my peace here for now.
Just "throwing 'em out there"...Hope y'all have MORE such questions and comments, answers, whatever.
What DOES it all mean?

Leakfan12

VIP Member
It means Muschamp for now has some wiggle room though it's on a game by game basis. The defense is back after the horrible Bama game and it's going to be back for at least one more game because LSU has equally crappy offense and questions on quarterback (sound familiar?). LSU isn't as good as they have been in recent years. As of now, the Gators are a decent chance (if not good chance) of winning the SEC East division though they haven't played against Mizzou or UGA yet. They play each other next week. Honestly the Gators might have a shot of the conference title depending on how the West is played out. Harris should start against LSU (they had trouble with dual threat quarterbacks of Miss State and Auburn). Driskel should graduate and then transfer to another school.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
It means Muschamp for now has some wiggle room though it's on a game by game basis. The defense is back after the horrible Bama game and it's going to be back for at least one more game because LSU has equally crappy offense and questions on quarterback (sound familiar?). LSU isn't as good as they have been in recent years. As of now, the Gators are a decent chance (if not good chance) of winning the SEC East division though they haven't played against Mizzou or UGA yet. They play each other next week. Honestly the Gators might have a shot of the conference title depending on how the West is played out. Harris should start against LSU (they had trouble with dual threat quarterbacks of Miss State and Auburn). Driskel should graduate and then transfer to another school.
You really think so, Lf? I mean, the Muschamp/"wiggle room" part: I mean, 1 point, against the Vols: Literally couldn't GET any closer to a loss--and one almost personally engineered by the Coach himself, who almost waited too long to put in Treon Harris, who got JUST enough done, JUST in time--"CAUSE HE SHOULDA BEEN IN THERE FROM THE START OF THIS ONE", if not sooner.
...Which raises another question I thought someone would at least comment on right off: What the HELL was our Coach so GIDDY about at the end of the game? I mean, I liked the comment /outburst ("Glad to see all these people leaving disappointed!"), made me laugh--and woulda been great coming from anyone else, or maybe on a different day, in a different year, after a different kind of game. If that was the relief-spawned reaction of a Coach who thinks he just began his "come back", got this team "turned around", well, that's just "Fantasy Land" on the face of it--and then how the HELL do you ignore the obvious, don't declare Treon Harris the starter RIGHT AWAY. But no, he "needs to get together with his coaches", look at the film and practice this week, and "EVALUATE" the situation, blah blah blah...Normal coach-speak, as much aimed at not embarrassing his loyal, in-there-plugging-away-for-him "QB-up-til-yesterday"? Wish I were sure that was so. I think he's serious--is even SEARCHING for reasons to keep Driskel in there. I didn't think Muschamp had much grip left on reality, of SEC-play in general, or all the things wrong with the Gators AND his choices across-the-board specifically since getting here, BEFORE Saturday--and after seeing/hearing him bouncing/babbling happily post-game on the field to the microphone, camera, and all of (at the very least) Gator Nation (we're fringe-news to the country-at-large again now), I'm sure of it.
As for the rest, well...No, I'll leave it alone for now, let everyone have their say on exactly these kinds of topics--but I have to say you are WAY more optimistic than I, even in considering our "chances" against any but inferior teams on bad days. We MAY well be getting a chance to see "the start of our future" in the (Oh PLEASE, let it happen) coming of Treon Harris in the starting role at QB from here on out--IF Muschamp doesn't re-rationalize, OVER-think this move as he is evidently wont to do.
I mean, "good chance of winning the SEC East"? Aside from being a sad comment on the state of the SEC East (How "the mighty" have fallen--SO far, SO fast), I just can't even THINK that far down-the-road now: Think I'll look for one whole decent game against an OVERmatched SEC-opponent, first. Getting Treon in there'd be a good start...and some converted drives early, TDs scored, maybe even a LONG PASS ("Let me tell you about those, Will---they give you SEVEN points for those...Even better than that prayer/one-for-seven 49-yd. FG you got so pumped about!")...and maybe some ADJUSTMENTS between halves, not just what you'd like to do better but in anticipation of what THEY'RE gonna likely do to exploit OUR demonstrated weaknesses etc. so far...It's part of something called "Strategy", when you're "Coaching"...going too fast for ya there, COACH Muschamp?
Sorry, Lf...I guess I'm tipping my hand as to my true feelings overall, AFTER all...Just can't see Spurrier, even the new, "mellower", "don't throw the visor anymore"-version taking much of this in good humor, from himself, his team or his coaches, and Meyer woulda just had his "heart palpitations" and gotten a note from his Dr., or his mother, or SOMEONE and be outta here HIMSELF about this point...Oh wait, that's exactly what he DID...

miltongator

Gator Fan
Two Cents Worth:
If I may interject re: the QB thing. It's been said that you need a QB with that certain "it" factor, a certain swagger, etc. We all know that JD doesn't have "it". Does TH have "it". It's too early to tell. The next couple of games should give us a read on that. All I can say now is that the Offense seemed more in sync with TH as the QB. He reminds me of Leak with the way he throws and is certainly a better, shiftier runner.

miltongator

Gator Fan
Just what we needed:
UF true freshman Treon Harris has been suspended from the Florida football team, the school announced Monday. The team was informed Monday morning via text message of Harris’ suspension and was told they will be addressed about the matter at practice.

According to a statement released by UF Monday afternoon, Harris is being investigated for sexually assaulting a female student on Florida's campus Sunday morning.

The University of Florida Police Department's crime log shows that a sexual battery case occurred at UF's Springs Residential Complex between 2:30 a.m. and 3:25 a.m. on Sunday, but does not identify who was charged in the case.

awebbf5

VIP Member
This program has gone to shit! I'm so fed up. Were not even as good as Kentucky and that's sad.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
Let us be professional when talking about alleged felonies against student-athletes, especially when it involves other Florida students. I will immediately remove any inappropriate posts about conspiracies, false accusations, and the like. Just like the University of Florida, we should all treat this as a serious matter. If Treon Harris is innocent, then it will be up to him to regain normalcy in his college career. If he is guilty, then he will be subject to whatever the process determines. Us as fans, and some of us as alumni, should remember Gator Pride, and should be proud of how the University has handled the situation.

Leakfan12

VIP Member
Well so much for Harris playing against LSU (and possibly ever again in UF depending how the case goes). Muschamp is (in my opinion) a game by game basis. I Still think Gators have a chance at the SEC East title, LSU has a crappy offense and their Defense is shaky (Gators have the better D though a crappy offense as well). Mizzo and UGA is question marks at best though both teams lost to lesser teams. USCar and Vandy are crap. It's possible though you can't predict what will happen as this season has proven.

miltongator

Gator Fan
Let us be professional when talking about alleged felonies against student-athletes, especially when it involves other Florida students. I will immediately remove any inappropriate posts about conspiracies, false accusations, and the like. Just like the University of Florida, we should all treat this as a serious matter. If Treon Harris is innocent, then it will be up to him to regain normalcy in his college career. If he is guilty, then he will be subject to whatever the process determines. Us as fans, and some of us as alumni, should remember Gator Pride, and should be proud of how the University has handled the situation.
You are, of course, correct. Proud of our University for taking a stand (unlike some other un-named Florida school did).
The problem we have is that even if proven innocent, he's probably done for the year. So, I guess we just have to live with Driskel. If something happens to him....then what?

miltongator

Gator Fan
These investigations can take months. If, at the end of the day, he's proven innocent, what a rotten deal he has gotten. Nothing to do but let it play out.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
(See "Really guys?"-thread...We are screwed AND in disarray)
With everything happening these last weeks, days, hours, I hesitate to add to my shoot-from-the-hip comments over on that "Really, guys?" thread. I am at a "slam the door" point I have never reached before with our team and program, even in the 0-10-and-1 year OR the Meyer/Addazio, "Meyer Comes Back To Make Sure He REALLY Screws Us"-season. Only the POSSIBILITY that Harris is innocent and COULD be cleared in a relatively short period of time (no matter how unlikely that last part) keeps my final PRIMAL FREAK OUT here at bay.
That, the fun and drama of seeing what Treon could do, maybe his ascendance to at the least giving us promise and a real peek at our future, was what was left of this season, for me at least--and THAT was a sudden surprise, relatively speaking, a GIFT that had arrived in the middle of nothing-but-bad-news. Now that's gone.
I hate it.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
Every morning I dread reading more bad new on the Gators. I half expected to read about Will Grier, Kelvin Taylor, or Dante Fowler getting busted for rape, drugs, or underage drinking and scooter riding. As long as nothing happens to our MVG, the punter Kyle Christy, then we are fine.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Every morning I dread reading more bad new on the Gators. I half expected to read about Will Grier, Kelvin Taylor, or Dante Fowler getting busted for rape, drugs, or underage drinking and scooter riding. As long as nothing happens to our MVG, the punter Kyle Christy, then we are fine.
That should be funny, that last line--and I give you ALL props for any efforts along such lines--but I'm just not laughing anymore. "Smirking darkly" is about the best I can manage right now--and THEN only accompanied by the most sardonic cynicism. I'm ready to cannonize any of our "good ones" who stick it out through what's ahead. Guys like you name, E-, "leaving in droves" one way or another, not to mention the black hole likely to swallow whatever quality was leaning our way before all this for the already starting-to-smell-to-high-heaven prospective 2015 recruiting-class (That's ANOTHER reason I was and am so big on Foley and Co. getting off the fence, and their asses, opening up the war chest and going after someone "bigtime right", hang the expense and details, to get in here and start "NEXT!" before events and natural follow-on consequences put us in an even deeper long term hole).
We've gone past "Doom" and are now well into "realizing our worst fears"--and don't even DARE utter the words, "What NEXT?!!"

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
...Btw--for that very last reason, I have purposefully NOT said the name of that "other QB", the one promising-but-not-ready, supposedly "potential great one" who WAS likely to be red shirted this season with Treon's meteoric rise to prominence. Let's keep it that way, I ask, the not-talking-about-him part, at least for now: I don't understand the forces at work here, and "superstition" may well be just another word for "don't f*ck with anything that still hasn't f*cked with YOU" when everything ELSE is going wrong!

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
@Dale J. Rodriguez, and everyone ELSE here...
Well, on the one hand, the quoted statement in the headline is a lawyer's JOB to maintain, obviously, BUT...
IF everything in the linked-column, the quoted claims of the Gator-attorney and the information supplied to the police is factual, then this begins to look like a travesty of justice--the very essence of a "witch hunt" that goes beyond the kind of thing both the GPD AND the University Police have become sadly, despicably noted for last few years.
I mean it...if most of this is true, the worst Treon showed was "poor judgment" when it came to pretty girls, the judgment in fact of A 19-YEAR OLD MALE!!! For the authorities to act in this extreme manner, then, with such "immediate and great prejudice", seems vindictive, overzealous to the point of hostility and a craving for publicity themselves.
We'll have to see if this turns out to be as bad a "power gone mad"-case as it seems, but if it turns out anywhere LIKE how his attorney maintains is the case, then how do they UNDO the damage done--to the young man himself most of all (and I believe he'd have a HUGE civil case against them), of course, but also to the University community and to Gator Nation as a whole?
First step, gotta go after the Chief of Police (and that DA better be thinking on dropping the whole thing QUICK, getting the "investigation" OVER with and washing his hands of it if HE wants to keep his job), and there needs to be a reckoning regarding whatever OTHER persons in the two departments got so excited and gung-ho on burning this kid at the stake. High time there be large changes to the way law enforcement uses the Gator Football Program as their private little proving-grounds to whitewash their public image overall. This is ANOTHER kind of "special treatment", at the opposite end of the spectrum from most large Universities, but just as disgusting--arguably worse, building reputation based on the persecution of young men who are in the public eye.
This all depends upon the statement-link above being even CLOSE to accurate. But if it IS...

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
(By the way, based on the above, assuming Coach Muschamp has this information by now and an idea of its veracity, at what point is it both "legal" and APPROPRIATE that he back up his QB, come out in support of him? Maybe not quite yet, regardless, but there WILL come a point where, if there are no charges and the above "story" begins to emerge as the truth, that I'D like to hear him say SOMETHING, maybe even show a little outrage? Principles and "fire" are the things this Coach is supposed to have no matter what else anyone thinks about the rest, and here's about the most glaring "opportunity" to stand up and be counted as I can imagine.)

(Note: One more comment to come below in this quick-breaking, 3-piece-series of posts)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema