• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

88 Days to Florida Gator Football: #88 Wilber Marshall

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
WilberMarshallpart6.jpg

Wilber Buddyhia Marshall is one of the most feared linebackers ever to grace a college or professional football field. Just look on YouTube for the famous quarterbacks he has sent to the hospital or to the bench with his earth-shattering tackles. Mr. Marshall played tight end and linebacker for Charley Pell's Florida Gators from 1980 to 1983 after initially coming to Florida to play tight end (he was a Parade All American on offense in Titusville, FL). He was the first three-time first team All SEC, and was a two-time Consensus All American. Mr. Marshall was the core of a nasty Gator defense that held opposing teams to under 15 points per game in 1981 and 1983. He finished his career with 343 tackles (9th in school history), 58 TFL (school record), 23 QB sacks (then a school record, now 5th), and 4 INTs after finishing as a finalist for the Lombardi Award in '82 and '83 and winning the ABC Sports National Defensive Player of the Year Award in 1983. The Gainesville Sun named Mr. Marshall as "Defensive Player of the Century" and a first team selection in its "Team of the Century". Wilber was selected as the 11th overall pick of the 1984 NFL Draft by the Chicago Bears, whom he played for in Super Bowl XX. He also went on to play for the Washington Redskins in Super Bowl XXVI. Wilber Marshall is a member the University of Florida Athletic Association Hall of Fame, the University of Florida Ring of Honor, Florida-Georgia Hall of Fame, and College Football Hall of Fame.

BONUS: Mr. Marshall is one of six Gator players in the National Football Foundation Hall of Fame. The other Gators are Dale Van Sickel, Steve Spurrier, Carlos Alvarez, Jack Youngblood, Emmitt Smith. Charles Bachman, Doug Dickey, and Ray Graves are also in the Hall of Fame, but as coaches.

Here are some overall highlights of Wilber Marshall from his College Football Hall of Fame induction:

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Full on into the annual "count down", E?? AND down to #88 (WB--whom I saw play while I was an undergrad, btw) already? Guess it really IS almost "THAT time of year" again...Time for me to start easing back into my obsessive "Gator-State-of-Mind", too...I'll be putting in my obligatory "Daily-plus" appearances henceforth, I suppose...Please, please, the applause is unnecessary...

Escambia94

Since board traffic is down from a year ago, I have been skipping around the numbers. Last year I think I counted down all the way from 100 to 0. This year I will just pick and choose by jersey numbers.

Escambia94

At Chicago, he nearly killed a Lions QB in 1985.

Here is former Gator Wilber Marshall nearly killing Lions QB Eric Hipple (fast forward to 3:18):

Here is former Gator Scot Brantley nearly killing Lions QB Eric Hipple:

Leakfan12

VIP Member
The QB I meant was Joe Ferguson though Hipple was seen, probably talking him into staying into the game.

The vid

Escambia94

Here is a better look at Wilber Marshall's hit on Joe Ferguson (fast forward to 1:00). I prefer Mr. Marshall's hit on Hipple, because he knocked Hipple out, then scooped up the ball and ran it in for a touchdown. Talk about adding insult to injury!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema