• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

45 Days to Gator Football - #45 Carlos Alvarez '69-'71

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
45 –Carlos Alvarez, WR (1969-71)

Carlos “the Cuban Comet” Alvarez played for the Florida Gators from 1969 to 1971. Carlos’ father moved the family from Cuba to Miami to escape the Castro revolution of 1960. Nine years later, Carlos joined his older brothers at the University of Florida and brought his ironman style of football (he played nearly the entire game on offense and defense in high school) to play wide receiver for coaches Ray Graves and Doug Dickey. Carlos was a pivotal member of the “Super Sophs” that led the Gators to its then-best 9-1-1 season while earning first team All-SEC and All-American honors. The Cuban Comet also made a pivotal, 9-yard touchdown reception that sealed the 14-13 upset win over Tennessee in the Gator Bowl. He was the top offensive weapon in the 1970 and 1971 seasons as well, as he garnered Academic All-American honors and shattered the receiving records. To this day, he is still the leading Gator receiver in terms of receptions in a game with 15, and receptions in a season with 88. The Cuban Comet still remains the Gators’ all-time career leader in receiving yards (2,563), is 2nd in receiving yards in a single season (1,329 yards in 1969), and is 2nd in single game receptions (237 against Miami in 1969). Carlos has numerous receiving records that stood for nearly 30 years until broken by the likes of Jabar Gaffney and Andre Caldwell. He was inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame in 2011.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
What strikes me more and more as I read these "thumbnail histories" is how long and steady has been the Gators' contribution to both the college and the pro games...yet somehow the teams they were on never rose above Promising" or at best "almost"-status. "Bear" was right: "Sleeping Giant" indeed.
Also, I just wanted to thank you, Escambia94, for doing your part to help at least TRY to get us through this looonnng slow summer, make it to the Fall without going nuts. (Still not there yet, though, so...)

robdog

Gator Fan
Thanks for the heads up about the CFL. I have been meaning to check some of them out since I am going through football withdrawls right now.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
CFL is more exciting than NFL. It is essentially spread offense all day, with quicker pace than NFL.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema