• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

2017 could be a great year for the Gators

Leakfan12

VIP Member
The Michigan game will be the hardest game for the Gators outside of Florida and possibly the hardest of the season. The game should be 50-50 maybe a lean toward Michigan. It will be a defensive struggle. Looking at the rest of the schedule it should be easy. The toughest games are in the swamp (LSU, FSU) and Jacksonville (UGA). The hardest away game (Michigan game is neutral site) is South Carolina and Muschoke's guys and maybe you can make a case for Kentucky (maybe). IF the offense can get going and the defense can stay the same, the Gators could have something going next year.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
The Michigan game will be the hardest game for the Gators outside of Florida and possibly the hardest of the season. The game should be 50-50 maybe a lean toward Michigan. It will be a defensive struggle. Looking at the rest of the schedule it should be easy. The toughest games are in the swamp (LSU, FSU) and Jacksonville (UGA). The hardest away game (Michigan game is neutral site) is South Carolina and Muschoke's guys and maybe you can make a case for Kentucky (maybe). IF the offense can get going and the defense can stay the same, the Gators could have something going next year.
If you have read my recent "Taking Stock (Still a pulse)" thread, you'll already know my response here:
Yes--2017 COULD turn out to be "great", the surprisingly fast turnaround year that puts us ontrack back to national relevance, even prominence--IF...
Mainly "IF" we have at least one really good young QB, after all.
More and more looks like he better already BE in the fold, having just completed his (or if we're VERY fortunate, "THEIR") red shirt season(s).
Sure, it's a more complicated "scenario of potentialities" than that--but that's the key one, at this point: With it, we can assume rather safely that enough of the rest is, or WILL be gathered in place and/or advanced in its development as to make things exciting again...WITHOUT it and none of it comes to very much--ups n downs and teasing glimpses of "what we MIGHT be eventually", but for both Mac AND our own teeth-grinding, determined resignation, it'll mean at BEST just "one more year".
(And just to be clear: Pretty certain we've already SEEN the best LDR has got--and it just isn't enough to lead us thru a Championship season in the SEC. To step in mid-game to finish up, maybe even carry us thru a coupla further mid-season midrange-difficulty opponents til one of the "lots of upside" young freshmen comes back from non-season-ending injuries, he's a nice option. But again: If he's our starting qb by the start of the actual 2017 season we are in trouble.)

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
...oh, and @Leakfan12,
Are you as sick as I am at us seemingly NEVER closing the deal on "the guy we're after that EVERYBODY'S after", at ANY position, year after year now??? We're on their theoretical "list", but not come NSD, not lately.
Of course, the last few times post-Tebow when we GOT "that 5-star prep-QB", each turned out a relative bust...some lesson(s) there about the personality of coaches who serm to GET "those guys", and the truth about those same coaches' "non-omniscience" after all. Gotta hope Mac & Co. have been building with purpose and wisdom "under the radar" the whole time.
Gotta hope so--'cause otherwise we just haven't been getting the kinds of across-the-board talent required to TURN that corner, build a winner here. In the past, that success has always been preceded by a series of acknowledged superior recruiting hauls in succession.

Leakfan12

VIP Member
Honestly unsure buy into needing a top recruiting class to be good, Zook and MusChoke had good recruiting class and didn't do crap with them (OK MusChoke had a good 2012 season). Plus the OBC had top QB recruits that didn't pan out that well. It helps but also helps if those student-athletes can perform well in the college (especially in the SEC) level. Also maybe another thing is do whatever the Suckeyes do to get into the playoffs. Let's face it, they had no business being in the playoffs in 2014 and this year. I have some ideas what I think they do.

Leakfan12

VIP Member
Looking at the ESPN's way too early top 25, Michigan loses 10 starters on defense so hopefully the offense will do something. OK the Gators lose nine guys on D as well but they took a big blow with the offense as well. Feeling better about Michigan not so much with UGA.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
At this point, any prediction is valid. Here are my game by game predictions:
  • Michigan. Gators win a close one if Jordan Scarlett steps up as the primary running back, and our quarterbacks do not turn the ball over. The Wolverines lose just as much talent as the Gators, but they have more holes on defense. Historically the Gators have not done well against Michigan in bowl games, but it might be different in an early season matchup.
  • Northern Colorado. This will be the game where Mac can finally go nuts with the offense. There will be no reason to hide all the offense, since we will have already played a Power Five opponent. I assume Mac will fine tune the offense against an overmatched cupcake.
  • Tennessee. The Champions in Life 2016 lost way too much talent. Expect the Gators to feast as the Butch Hype Train continues to derail.
  • Kentucky. I actually hope Stoops rebuilds better in the off-season and makes this game competitive.
  • Vanderbilt. This team gained some cajones in 2016, but can they continue to improve? The Commodores will keep this game way too close, but fall short. The Gators just need to stay healthy for the next matchup.
  • LSU. This game and the Michigan game will be good indicators. I think LSU gives Mac his first home loss. The Tiger running backs will take advantage of our still thin linebacker corps.
  • aTm. The Aggies will not be able to replace Speedy Noil and Trevor Knight, and the Gator offense might actually look good against this defense.
  • Georgia. The Gators will expose the hype on the presumed SEC East champion Poodles, but their running backs may do some damage.
  • Missouri. Easy win. The Other Tigers will continue their abysmal decline.
  • South Carolina. This game might be too close for comfort. The Cocks have been recruiting better than the Gators. If Mac loses here, I am off the Mac train. I think it will be a close victory for the Gators.
  • UAB. Gators will destroy the UAB team. Period.
  • FSU. The Noles will prove why they were the preseason champions. I hate losing to these guys, but they recruit better and reload better.
  • SEC championship. If Alabama returns here as expected, I think the Gators lose slightly more gracefully. If LSU is here, expect the Gators to win the rematch.
  • Bowl Game. Maybe Mac will fix our bowl game record. I will be an optimist and say the Gators win here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema