• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

2015 Staff Changes

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I've already talked about how "interesting" things are getting at QB--and the only thing I'll add here is that I think it's a given that Coach Mac will go after and get SOMEONE that "fits his mold" there in the 2016 class, a 4-star-plus whom, as one of "his guys" he'll be that much more predisposed to bring along, eventually start. Along with the aforementioned Culpepper, that high-profile kid who just decommitted from Tennessee might now be in the running too. Will he even try to get both? We shall see.
As for the rest, well, this staff has finished strong with 2015 recruiting (with a couple more good adds still possible), and any kind of real improvement, especially in a more exciting offense (I mean, how could it NOT be???) may well key an outstanding haul come Feb, 2016.
I may expand on this in the weeks ahead in a separate, new thread, but for now this seems as good a place as any to mention something I really like, something pretty striking, and that's the way Mac has expanded the whole staff. It's already literally TWICE the size of Muschamp's, gone from 9 to 18 full time assistants and position coaches on the payroll. Foley and co. have been completely supportive, smoothly approving the funds for everyone the Coach has wanted and wooed; talented, knowledgeable and creative young up'n'comers are filling out the new staff top to bottom, and it is expected that there'll be at least a couple more added before summer, along with grad assistants to in turn help and support them. The idea, from this Head Coach's POV, is to build a hierarchy of smart people, each able to concentrate on his own area of interest, talent and expertise, yet ultimately pull together towards the same goal, WINNING: A team that builds and guides The Team. Give this group talent and depth, they will get it done.
We don't have consistent, across-the-board "talent" OR "depth" yet, proven or even apparent, on either side of the ball, so plugging holes and further identifying real needs will probably go on through summer and into the fall--meaning some real "ups'n'downs" in the course of our coming season, especially in the early going.
I don't want to inflate my own expectations...I'd like to see us hold the line to some extent on defense, and real improvement (not to mention EXCITEMENT, for a change) on what's been of course a moribund offense during the "Muschamp-plus-pick-your-disappointment-at-QB" years. In addition to making an "up and down year" bearable, even at times fun, that would set us up for the kinds of gains at both "talent" AND "depth" that I sense on the horizon under this coach. Even better if we were to "come on strong" as the season progressed. That's where E-'s points above, especially the main one about depending on the 2014 class to begin to come through, really make their mark, are so appropriate.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
@DRU2012 Even though it is early, I am excited to see how differently Coach Mac approaches the job compared to Muschamp. I really wanted Muschamp to succeed, and I rooted for him until the bitter end. Just watching Coach Mac these past few months, I can see that the ship is turning around. I would caution that we should give the coach a year to undo some of the Muschampisms, such as the complete lack of depth at any positions outside the secondary.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
@DRU2012 Even though it is early, I am excited to see how differently Coach Mac approaches the job compared to Muschamp. I really wanted Muschamp to succeed, and I rooted for him until the bitter end. Just watching Coach Mac these past few months, I can see that the ship is turning around. I would caution that we should give the coach a year to undo some of the Muschampisms, such as the complete lack of depth at any positions outside the secondary.
I totally agree, E-, on both main points. I was rooting for Muschamp too--I liked him, still DO (even if I also think the move to Auburn, and accompanying complete loyalty-change and way he has approached it, while "professional", makes me sad--guess I hoped he might have chosen one of the out-of-SEC offers he fielded)...and I also feel like a "spell" of loyalty on OUR part to HIM has been broken--all the more so for the kinds of changes I too see and sense ahead thanks to Coach Mac and the people he's brought in.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema