• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

’Cats a tempting pick

News Bot

News Bot
The last time the Gators traveled to Lexington two years ago, I was convinced the Wildcats were going to upset the Gators and end their long (now 28 games) losing streak to UF. The pick made perfect sense. UF had lost starting quarterback Jeff Driskel to a broken lower leg the week before against Tennessee, and backup QB Tyler Murphy would be making his first college start in a very hostile environment. My feeling at the time was the Gators were ripe, and if UK didn’t snap the streak it might be years before it had another chance.

So, I made the pick: Kentucky. And, of course, the Gators won. And, of course, I took a lot of good-natured ribbing from many, including some from within the athletic department (Kentucky! Are you serious?).

Now, two years later, I find myself having a similar feeling that I did in 2013: Kentucky is going to end the streak. The pick makes sense. The Wildcats are coming off an emotional win at South Carolina and they’re coming home to what will be a loud and energetic crowd seeking lots of Gator blood after 28 straight years of futility against UF. Conversely, the Gators are coming off a lousy (and embarrassing) performance against East Carolina. Even the usually strong secondary caved in, giving up more than 300 yards passing.

So, when you look at it logically, picking the ’Cats is a sound decision.

But I’m going with my considerable gut on this one. And my gut says Florida. A lot of that gut feeling comes from the vibe emanating from Jim McElwain and the players this week. They seem really locked in and focused after all that mess last week. The Gators seem to have come together. And they seem confident about this matchup and determined to play their best game of the season, which is it will probably take.

So, here’s to the gut.

Prediction: Florida 21, Kentucky 19.

Source: GatorSports.com - Robbie's Playbook

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Well, given everything we've seen, plus my own emotionally self-protective, cynical "get-ourselves-ready-for-the-worst" approach I'm trying to wrap myself in for at least another season or so, I suppose I'M picking the 'Cats to finally break the streak too. I mean, they are getting stronger, we're still floundering individually and as a team, to judge by last week's game AND our HC's reaction/revelations concerning both our preparation and what we all SAW on-the-field last Sat.: In general, we're at what's looking to be our lowest point talent and depth-wise for (hopefully) a long time to come as we begin the long "true road" back under Coach Mac.
If I were still an impartial bettor, I'd like to think I'd bet against the Gators in this one, too. Of course, I've never bet against UF in anything, EVER--am emotionally (and every other way) incapable of doing so--but my "rational intellect" tells me that's the way to go here.
Of course, every other fiber of my being hopes I'm dead wrong. So the rest of the above attempt at "realism", whatever its intent, will ultimately no doubt do nothing to assuage my frustration and disappointment if it truly comes out that way. Simply put:
"I'm probably right--but I sure as hell don't wanna be!". Sorta sums up being a Gator at this particular point in our "development", wouldn't y'all agree?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema